Plague kills are so cheap.

Started by vampiresoap, May 11, 2017, 01:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vampiresoap

5 out of 7 of my colonists got hit by plague. 4 died even though there were hospital beds and sterile floors. The only thing I didn't have was a good doctor and vital monitors. I mean, like, there was absolutely nothing I could do to save those colonists. They stayed in bed the whole time and they still died. This is pretty ridiculous.

NinjaDiscoJew

The plague was deadly after all, I believe it is accurate representation of how deadly the plague was.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: NinjaDiscoJew on May 11, 2017, 02:42:57 PM
The plague was deadly after all, I believe it is accurate representation of how deadly the plague was.

K'now, it only took out roughly 450 million people across Europe and the Mediterranean. I'd say its fair to assume you need a good doctor and good medicine to survive it.

Panzer

Get penoxicyline, heavily recommended. Any trader that sells drugs should have some, you can research it yourself but you need to buy neutroamine anyways to produce it, cheaper though. I really recommend to send out a caravan early to buy some, not much, maybe 10 pills, and keep it for when the plague hits, it adds a lot to the immunity and with on time treatments any colonist should survive.

vampiresoap

Quote from: Panzer on May 11, 2017, 03:46:55 PM
Get penoxicyline, heavily recommended. Any trader that sells drugs should have some, you can research it yourself but you need to buy neutroamine anyways to produce it, cheaper though. I really recommend to send out a caravan early to buy some, not much, maybe 10 pills, and keep it for when the plague hits, it adds a lot to the immunity and with on time treatments any colonist should survive.

Man, wish someone had told me that!! Thanks, man. So they get like an instant boost in immunity as soon as they take that?

khearn

Immunity gets boosted to 60%, assuming it was below that. No effect if immunity was already over 60%.

OFWG

The OP reported an 80% death rate in his outbreak, which is significantly higher than the estimated 30-60% kill rate in Europe. So OP still has a point that balance probably hasn't been achieved.

In the actual plague, the survivors lived despite having nothing we would consider real treatment. The current disease mechanics really don't allow for that.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

ArguedPiano

Penoxicyline is definitely the way to go. I ALWAYS buy enough for three doses for each of my pawns from the first trader that sells them.
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Shurp

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

"Mortality associated with treated cases of bubonic plague is about 1–15%, compared to a mortality of 40–60% in untreated cases."

Rimworld players regularly lose 80% of *treated* colonists.  This isn't plague.  Even Ebola isn't that lethal.

But it is easily treatable and survivable in game.  Just devmode / replace torso.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Neotic

I got l plague a few hours ago in game and 3 out of four died from it
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Naxdar

I love it when it hits my single colonist on day 3.

Boston

Quote from: OFWG on May 11, 2017, 04:38:04 PM

The OP reported an 80% death rate in his outbreak, which is significantly higher than the estimated 30-60% kill rate in Europe. So OP still has a point that balance probably hasn't been achieved.

In the actual plague, the survivors lived despite having nothing we would consider real treatment. The current disease mechanics really don't allow for that.

That is an average death rate. In some places, the plague killed everyone, in others, the plague wasn't that bad.

OFWG

Quote from: Boston on May 11, 2017, 07:58:14 PM
Quote from: OFWG on May 11, 2017, 04:38:04 PM

That is an average death rate. In some places, the plague killed everyone, in others, the plague wasn't that bad.

You're right of course, that's the nature of averages. My point was that current disease mechanics don't allow for a plague that "isn't that bad" when ideally it would.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Limdood

this does not address the underlying issue, BUT, it can help save several colonists you may not otherwise save.
You cannot trigger the "go treat the patient action" until the treatment actually runs out, so to minimize untreated time:

1. place medicine stockpiles ON the spot the doctor will stand to treat...any movement time is untreated time.
2. monitor the "next treatment in XX hours" on the patient.  When it gets low, draft the doctor, stand on top of the medicine - doctor travel time is untreated time.
3. Make sure your doctor is in a good mood...rest, food, joy, none of it necessarily matters on its own, just make sure the mood is high when the treatment wears off.  Mood, as well as skill, affects treatment quality (clean floors are a bonus too)
4. shift time to normal speed as the "next treatment in XX hours" ticks to 0, then undraft doctor and manually assign treatment.

This will give you a handful more % over the course of the disease.  If your deaths were at like 78% immunity, they're screwed anyways.  If they were at 98%, you could have saved them using this.

Modo44

It spread easily due to bad hygiene. Since RimWorld does not simulate personal hygiene directly, you have no way other than penoxy to directly prevent diseases. No way to check for foodborne parasites, either. Yes, you can say diseases work "realistically", but it feels cheap because of the lack of prevention methods. I think that is what OP meant.