More Advanced 'Allowed' Zones

Started by Sirnanigans, May 14, 2017, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirnanigans

Currently, the allowed zones function by creating a zone to which you can restrict one or many colonists/animals. If you want to restrict a colonist to fewer areas than another then you need to make two allowed zones, one for each colonist. If you want to take a more advanced approach to "colonist traffic control" like myself, you end up with a separate allowed zone for almost every colonist and each zone must be adjusted when changes to the base are made. It's very cumbersome and makes zone management a burden that, for many, is not worth the time.

I suggest that the allowed zones be managed by a menu just like the 'restricted' menu. The x-axis would be each zone you have created (both 'allowed zones' and other zones like stockpiles, growing, etc.), and the y-axis would be each colonist. My recommended four settings for each block would be 'always', 'work', 'travel', and 'never'. Using these four settings, you can easily configure colonists to very specific and detailed zone restrictions without ever creating an 'allowed zone'. The four settings would cover all of the necessary logic to perfectly control colonist traffic, and are explain thusly...

+ Always: The colonist may travel through and work within this zone at any time.
+ Work: The colonist may enter this zone to complete a task that requires them to. For example, a colonist may enter the kitchen to cook, butcher, or clean, but not to travel to another room.
+ Travel: The colonist may travel through this zone freely, but may not work within it. For example, a colonist may travel through a workshop to deposit resources, but may not work within it.
+ Never: The colonist is not allowed to enter this zone.

Combined, these options allow you to manage which colonists can do what with greater specificity than using the work menu alone, and without micromanaging task details (e.g. setting minimum levels, and forcing prioritization). Furthermore, they allow for a custom traffic scheme in colony that can control and minimize filth collection, food consumption, etc. Finally, and most importantly, it allows for all of this without constantly changing and creating elaborate allowed zones. It does so by utilizing the existing zones as well as small, supplementary allowed zones to set personal restrictions for each colonist.

I hope this idea is received well. Thanks for reading!