Started by ArguedPiano, May 11, 2017, 09:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArguedPiano

We have hats! Why not footwear?

Each could have their own benefits, such as:

Running Shoes - Increased Walk Speed
Work Boots - Decreased Walk Speed, Increased Work Speed
Sandals - Increased Heat Resistance
SnowBoots - Decreased Walk Speed, Increased Cold Resistance, Increased Walk Speed in Snow
Generic Shoes - No 'Unhappy Nudity' Debuff **
(All 'minor' buffs and debuffs of course)

** Which brings me to my next point: I sure would be some unhappy about not wearing any shoes in these harsh environments. Scorching Desert? -30 Degree winter? Trekking through the jungle? You better believe you need your shoes!

I understand the way pawns are currently portrayed they don't really have 'visible' legs or feet. So portraying shoes may seem weird, but why show them at all? They could still appear in the gear section just with no on screen animation. There's a mod that makes hats invisible even though the pawns are wearing them. So why not shoes?
The only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down.

Shinzy

while this is a totes magotes fun idea and I've even made a mod (unreleased) with booties and socks
I feel like lots of people would *hate* the busywork of having an additional piece of apparel to keep in their production chain solely (Punnn!)  to avoid a debuff and to get some minor stat buffs ;D

Limdood

I agree with shinzy.  While kind of interesting, I'd hate another "required" piece of clothing.  It is already a major headache getting new pawns in the colony that are naked early in the game before you have the textiles to make a suit of tribalwear.  I would not enjoy ANOTHER item of clothing - per pawn - clogging up my stockpiles/battle sites/tailoring bench queues.

The same effect is easily gotten by mods adding custom clothing with stat effects (Call of Cthulhu - factions mod has items like overalls that fit in the armor vest slot with work speed bonuses, or trenchcoats which are dusters with social and research bonuses) that already fit into currently existing gear slots.

Rulin

I like this idea. This in combination with a wardrobe (stackable clothing) and maybe overall tweaked craftingtime of clothes.

Monoxide3009

Im ok with this, with a few minor tweeks.

I would also elaborate on this: each piece of clothing could offer a small benefit depending on the type.

O Negative

Shoes don't have to be necessary. They could be interesting though! Shoes should, in my opinion, not offer speed bonuses unless they've got some sort of fancy tech associated with them. But, they could offer decent protection for feet and toes. I hate when someone loses a toe, because it always ends up in them being too slow to run away from other dangers :(

cultist

Snowshoes actually make a lot of sense. Travel time during winter is a big factor if you live in a cold biome.

XeoNovaDan

Already modded it. Didn't realise Shinzy was also on the case though... oops?

My best bet as to why footwear (and indeed handwear) aren't included in vanilla is for balancing purposes - where hands, feet, and their respective extremities are intentional weak points.

O Negative

I can see why balance issues might come into play. I also see how they could be balanced to not be such an issue.

For instance, shoes could have a natural deterioration factor (while worn) that is much higher than standard clothing. This would make them more of a luxury than something you could easily build in bulk and leave be for a while. You'd have to have a pawn almost entirely dedicated to the making of shoes in the late game (when you have enough colonists). Plus, it's not like we're asking for a bunch of protective stats.

I actually wouldn't want any more protection than is offered by standard shirts (which isn't much).

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: O Negative on May 15, 2017, 12:17:51 AM
it's not like we're asking for a bunch of protective stats.

I actually wouldn't want any more protection than is offered by standard shirts (which isn't much).

That's exactly how I've approached it for the 'standard' shoes and gloves - cowboy boots offer a little more protection, but they're a tier up and can only be made of leather, which is mostly less protective than high-end fabric like devilstrand and hyperweave, and the military variants offer slightly less protection than military helmets, and also impose considerable penalties (-0.07 c/s for boots, -10% workspeed for gloves)

Rimrue

I like this idea, too. Would give us a use for all that leather we always have lying around. Lol

I'll check out your mod, XeoNovaDan. :)

Neotic

+1 i'm down for shoes and especially for snow boots. However, if the do i would imagine a very high durability is needed so they don't become another clothing item to worry about.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD