[B18] Quality Cooldown (22nd Jan 2018)

Started by XeoNovaDan, May 15, 2017, 05:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Compatibility
This mod may conflict with other mods that alter MeleeWeapon_Cooldown and RangedWeapon_Cooldown in Stats_Weapons_Melee.xml and Stats_Weapons_Ranged.xml respectively, but I don't know of any mods that modify these two StatDefs.

Downloads
GitHub
Steam

Like this mod? Check out my other mods here!

Overview
A gun's build quality and condition should affect how well their mechanical parts work and the build quality of a melee weapon should affect how well-balanced or streamlined it is, right?

Well, this relatively small mod does exactly that: a weapon's build quality, whether it be melee or ranged, now has a subtle effect on their cooldown (the time to recover between attacks), and the latter is also affected by the condition of the weapon; a gun or bow in poor condition is going to have worse-performing mechanical parts than if they were in pristine condition.

Another effect that this mod has is that quality bears some relevance to weapons with forced miss radius: you'll now notice a group killing efficiency increase with a higher quality minigun over a lower quality minigun, for example.

Melee weapons benefit less from quality than ranged weapons as melee weapons get a direct damage increase anyway, but ranged weapons get penalized by condition whereas melee weapons stay consistent cooldown-wise regardless of condition.

Credits
Marnador for their quality RimWorld-style font.

License
As is standard with my mods: you may include this mod in a mod pack, and you may derive from this, but please inform me if you're doing so either through here or Ludeon Forums, and give credit where credit's due.

argusthecat

I appreciate this.  Quality needs to actually DO more things aside from let you feel smug and sell off statues for more.

stigma

Very cool - I think this is a nice way to add a little extra to ranged quality weapons - and it seems like you did well to keep the extra bonuses well within the limits of what is balanced. Nice to see a mod that touches weapons that doesn't immediately go overboard :)

Do you believe this should work ok on an existing save? I really want to add this, but I spent like 2 hrs just now OCD'ing hard over my world/map rolls and I hope I don't have to re-do that :D

I don't currently use anything that modifies weapons at all - the closest would be "more vanilla turrets".

Argus: I agree man, the more (subtle) things quality can be added to and have interesting effects the better.
Like how beds can give a few percent faster resting and immunity-gain... more items just need to have quality - and interesting worthwhile attributes associated with them.

-Stigma

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: stigma on July 09, 2017, 04:02:54 PM
Do you believe this should work ok on an existing save?

It most certainly should, since it only patches some core XMLs. Enjoy!

Soupy Delicious

thanks for the mod.  When I first started playing the game I was thinking that at least condition should affect attack cooldown.  Im enjoying using your mod :)

wlsrbel

I was looking for this mode.

Is this fully compatible with CE?

Kori

Quote from: wlsrbel on April 30, 2018, 09:24:22 AM
I was looking for this mode.

Is this fully compatible with CE?

I'd also like to know.

zizard

I used this mod for a short time with CE and seemed to be fine.

Nice mod, same for shooting skill enhanced and skill overhead. Respect your genuine attempts at balance in your mods. Too many put so little effort into balance compared to graphics.

dvegit0

XeoNovaDan

dvegit0