[A17] Rue's Tribal Essentials and mini mods (Tribal stuff, Poker, Packed Lunch)

Started by Rimrue, May 15, 2017, 06:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwWraith

I think it'd be natural to make Tribal lore fire markable as Gather spot.
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Rimrue

At first I did have it as a gather spot, but found pawns would sit there and socialize rather than share tribal lore, so I changed it.

They should still chat and have deep talks while sharing tribal lore, though.

Thanks!

JT

Went ahead and converted your hay to a patch so that I could delete the core override file.  Probably not necessary since there's a curious dearth of other mods that make modifications to hay (I know, shocking), but patching is best practice these days. =)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Defs>

<Operation Class="PatchOperationAdd">
<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName="Hay"]</xpath>
<value>
<tickerType>Rare</tickerType>
<ingestible>
<foodType>Plant</foodType>
<preferability>RawBad</preferability>
<nutrition>0.05</nutrition>
</ingestible>
<stuffProps>
<stuffAdjective>grass</stuffAdjective>
<categories>
<li>Grassy</li>
</categories>
<color>(134,132,46)</color>
<commonality>1.4</commonality>
<allowColorGenerators>true</allowColorGenerators>
</stuffProps>
</value>
</Operation>

<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName="Hay"]/statBases</xpath>
<value>
<MaxHitPoints>100</MaxHitPoints>
<Flammability>1.0</Flammability>
<DeteriorationRate>4</DeteriorationRate>
</value>
</Operation>

<Operation Class="PatchOperationReplace">
<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName="Hay"]/statBases/MarketValue</xpath>
<value>
<MarketValue>1.2</MarketValue>
</value>
</Operation>

<xpath>/Defs/ThingDef[defName="Hay"]/comps</xpath>
<value>
<li><compClass>CompColorable</compClass></li>
</value>
</Operation>

</Defs>

(The XML file is also attached to the post for easy digestion.  A-hyuk.)

Was there a compelling reason that hay was made ingestible, incidentally?  Even in the richest hays (soybean chaff), the majority of their nutrients are locked within the cellulose structure -- which means we can't get to it at all because, unlike ruminants or hindgut animals, we have no cellulase enzymes to break them down.  Something less than 5%-10% of grass is actually digestible for humans, compared to around 75%-85% for fodder-eating livestock, and it's murder on our teeth.  Like celery, it does have a slight positive caloric gain, because our body barely expends any energy in its digestion -- but a dozen calories or so out of a stomachful of roughage isn't exactly something to write home about.  A human could eat hay all day long whenever there was room in their stomach and would suffer from starvation due to calorie intake well below the survival threshold. =)

Even puréeing it doesn't unlock a heck of a lot. Even things like oatgrass or wheatgrass blends are mostly indigestible, although because they're pulverised a larger amount of their nutrients are accessible (10%-30% depending on fineness).  Extracted juices do contain a much higher ratio of nutrients, but that's because most of the cellulose has explicitly been discarded or recycled for animal fodder.  The nutrition figure cited in the game, therefore, should be anywhere from 5 to 10 times less (0.01 to 0.005), which makes its inclusion somewhat irrelevant.  At 0.01 you'd need 50 hay to produce a single meal's worth, at 0.0066667 you'd need 75, and at 0.005 you'd need 100.

Of course, since in reality most juice extracts are really intended for "joy" beverage purposes only, a haygrass juice recipe would perhaps produce an ingestible juice worth 0.05 nutrition from 10 hay.  That won't even require hay to be marked as ingestible -- just use a standard production recipe based on a fixed ingredient list rather than on a nutrition amount. =)

Some other notes, digging around in the (hind)guts:

Most of your _Bases.xml files should be deleted; abstracts are inheritable across mods.  Any mod that includes those now generally won't break anything, but will be the source of esoteric strange behaviour if any of the core defs are changed with new releases of the game and the mod somehow rolls it back to an older version.

TribalProductionWorkGivers.xml also definitely needs to be separated out into a patch, since it won't be compatible with anything else that tries to modify those same workgivers via an XML override (which they shouldn't do either, but given a choice between one person doing it and everyone else patching, or everyone patching in the first place, I'd say the latter is wiser).

Since I don't want to step on toes and it'll be good to learn the procedure, it's as simple as:

<xpath>/WorkGivers/WorkGiverDef[defName="DoBillsButcherFlesh"]/fixedBillGiverDefs</xpath>
   <value>
      <li>ButcheringSpot</li>
   </value>
</Operation>

...et al. for the rest. =)

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Rimrue

Oh, wow! Thanks for the help! I have been struggling with patching. I know it is pretty straight forward, but I somehow always generate a ton of errors. :/

I'll update both mods with those patches today. :)

As for hay being ingestible, as I recall when I made the mod, animals didn't seem to want to eat it unless I added the ingestible tags. But I could test again without it. Maybe that's an A17 change I missed or something.

Thanks! :D

JT

Yeah, patching is a bit of a mindwarp -- especially since you can wind up blackscreening the game if you malform the XML syntax... a good text editor with bracket/code highlighting is pretty much a must. =)

Weird about the animals -- it inherits from RoughPlantBase whose sole purpose is to include ingestible data for them.  (Actually, based on looking into that, my whole dietary diatribe, which I will now have to refer to as a "dietribe", was probably completely irrelevant.  Yay me!)

This might a case of the vanilla tag being marked for "DesperateOnly", which tries to encourage animals to eat it only as a last resort and to prefer grazing first.  I couldn't begin to explain the prisoner errors that are referenced on the thread, though. =)

Rimrue

I haven't  managed to blackscreen the game yet. Lol Usually just get the old corrupted mod error. Or page long log of red errors. :P

To fix the prisoner error it needs <socialpropernessmatters>True</socialpropernessmatters> added to the ingestiblity tag. But since the error never caused any issues I just never got around to fixing it. I'll add it to the patch you shared. :)

Also, I should add hay smoothies now. Lol

Rimrue

Okay, so it seems I don't need the ingestible part at all for hay, so I've removed it and now there shouldn't be an error about feeding prisoners anymore. :)

lorebot

@Rimrue, is there a way to have your mod check for BaconBit's Trap Defence mod so it doesn't duplicate research for the Pitfall trap?

Rimrue

Updated Tribal Essentials:

-The stonechipping spot should now be able to chip any type of stone
-Spear, great bow, and pila now less wood to make (same amount as vanilla)
-Pitfall trap is less deadly
-Pitfall Trap should no longer require separate research if the Trap Defense mod is installed

Ser Kitteh

Hey Rimrue, doing a tribal playthrough and with Tribal planet I'm having a blast!

Thought you might want to know of a problem: when building log walls, it seems I need to cancel the wall before needing to put in a door. It's not the biggest issue, but it's not like the utility of placing doors on vanilla either.

Gonna enjoy your mod some more. Thanks for your hard work, dude.

Crow_T

Neat mod, but I can't figure out how to start a colony with the tribal essential research already done- it seems weird to be able to have research bench, bed, stonecutter table, etc. before the tribal equivalents.  Is there a good way to set up a colony using this mod to get a real primitive start?
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Crow_T on July 26, 2017, 09:28:01 PM
Neat mod, but I can't figure out how to start a colony with the tribal essential research already done- it seems weird to be able to have research bench, bed, stonecutter table, etc. before the tribal equivalents.  Is there a good way to set up a colony using this mod to get a real primitive start?

the scenario editor has a "start with research" option you can add any research you want there.
If you add a  very advanced research ( like spaceships ) you will also start with every required research.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Crow_T

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 27, 2017, 07:26:37 AM
the scenario editor has a "start with research" option you can add any research you want there.
If you add a  very advanced research ( like spaceships ) you will also start with every required research.

Yeah I tried that, it's not in my menu of choices though. Do mods not get populated in that menu?
*just checked my big modded install that has more vanilla turrets, EPOE, and more- only mending shows up which is from a mod. Interesting.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20