Better Mental Break for Starvation

Started by Neotic, May 08, 2017, 06:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neotic

It doesn't make much sense that a person who is starving goes into a daze if was starving i would do anything to get food. So based on that the mental break would basically make the pawn search for food in the map gathering/killing(even pets) anything. But, the pawn stays in the mental break until their food bar is full or a certain amount of time has passed(in case their is no food on the map) and like all mental breaks you wouldn't be able to control the pawn at all. This mental break would only be the same as the daze if their is no food on the map but it makes sense that the pawn would look for food instead of doing absolutely nothing.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

O Negative

I'd go as far to say that a starving pawn might kill a friend and eat them to survive ;)

In all seriousness, I agree with your original post. Mental breaks should be a coping mechanism for pawns to get through whatever is bothering them. I understand dazes for events like losing a loved one and other traumatic experiences. But, a starvation daze is one of those things that just exacerbates the problem that led to the mental break in the first place. +1 from me.

Perq

-> Dazed because hungry
-> Food gets produced/bought
-> Refuses to eat because dazed

???

This actually happened to me.
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

milon

+1 from me. Especially if they can hunt colony animals for food. (In that case, do NOT let your cannibals go hungry!!)

tyriaelsoban

Yeah, ive had this happen too... break because im exhausted (forgot to unset work on schedule) wanders around, collapses, gets up after filling the sleep bar 25% on the floor of my common room ... goes back to wandering around for two more days, by the time he "unbreaks" he is on the verge of "Starving (Extreme)" and just about makes it to the fridge to grab a meal and very unlike a starving, or urgently hungry pawn ... dosnt just ram it all down his throat while sitting on the floor.
Nope, he takes the time to wander through the two airlock doors in my freezer to reach the common room dining table ... talk about weird.
The next time he did that, i drafted one of my colonists and got them to knock his butt out by shooting him with an AR.

Neotic

Okay so one of my pawns went into mental break daze because of starvation. Shortly after his break we managed to get some food, but he would eat it he just stood there wandering. His malnurtrition got up to 55%, it started at 0, before he came out of it and ate food. Please change the mental break for starvation Tynan this makes no sense. 
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Admiral Wily

I have a problem with this post..... It makes too much Sense.

Neotic

Quote from: Admiral Wily on May 13, 2017, 04:50:59 AM
I have a problem with this post..... It makes too much Sense.
*high fives*
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

cultist

It would be nice in general if mental breaks had a bit more correlation to what actually happens to pawns and the traits they possess. Ugly people who get insulted all the time should be more likely to start fights or hide in their room. Starving pawn should go on food binge. Exhausted pawn would go into a daze (and then collapse). Maybe this would make mental breaks too predictable, so some element of RnG needs to be preserved. But it all feels a bit too random currently.

RyanRim

Quote from: cultist on May 13, 2017, 09:01:11 AM
It would be nice in general if mental breaks had a bit more correlation to what actually happens to pawns and the traits they possess. Ugly people who get insulted all the time should be more likely to start fights or hide in their room. Starving pawn should go on food binge. Exhausted pawn would go into a daze (and then collapse). Maybe this would make mental breaks too predictable, so some element of RnG needs to be preserved. But it all feels a bit too random currently.

Absolutely agreed, every person has it's own mental threshold, so he also has his own way of dealing with it. Neurotic people going around banging their heads against the walls, anyone?

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

Neotic

Quote from: makkenhoff on May 16, 2017, 03:25:14 PM
(Edit: He died, I had 20 seconds of time to tell him to go eat before he mentally broke again, this time for starving, which he caused himself.)
more proof we need a better system for mental break: starvation.
Quote from: cultist on May 13, 2017, 09:01:11 AM

I also agree with you cultist mental breaks should have more correlation. too keep the rng elment for starvation maybe there could be multiple different types for it. for example one could be search map for food, another eats pet, and eating nearest live animal, or eating pawn.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

O Negative

Quote from: Neotic on May 16, 2017, 11:36:30 PM
I also agree with you cultist mental breaks should have more correlation. too keep the rng elment for starvation maybe there could be multiple different types for it. for example one could be search map for food, another eats pet, and eating nearest live animal, or eating pawn.
A check for the malnutrition level/severity of the pawn could be used to determine which of these is used.

0% - 15% = General Food Scavange (eating raw plants)
16% - 25% = Nearest Wild Animal (hungry berserk targeted at wildlife)
26% - 50% = Pets as Food (hungry berserk targeted at all animals)
50% += Cannabalism (hungry berserk targeted at all living things)

These don't have to be the numbers, I'm just throwing ideas out. Malnutrition should definitely be a factor, though, in my opinion :P

Neotic

Quote from: O Negative on May 16, 2017, 11:56:53 PM
Quote from: Neotic on May 16, 2017, 11:36:30 PM
A check for the malnutrition level/severity of the pawn could be used to determine which of these is used.

0% - 15% = General Food Scavange (eating raw plants)
16% - 25% = Nearest Wild Animal (hungry berserk targeted at wildlife)
26% - 50% = Pets as Food (hungry berserk targeted at all animals)
50% += Cannabalism (hungry berserk targeted at all living things)

These don't have to be the numbers, I'm just throwing ideas out. Malnutrition should definitely be a factor, though, in my opinion :P
I would maybe increase it by 5-7% because malnutrition goes up pretty fast and Malnutrition should definitively have a part in it.
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

NinjaDiscoJew

I agree to, I find it annoying when a colonist falls into a daze, collapse from exhastion from the daze (and is still in it), as soon as he snaps out of it, he is in a really poor mood due to lack of sleep and food.