Your Best Screenshots

Started by Tynan, April 22, 2014, 02:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Hey all!

I'm looking for some epic screenshots to use in marketing the game. These will go in places like rimworldgame.com and on the eventual Steam website.

So I figured you guys probably have better shots than I can invent. So I invite you to post your best screenshots! Perhaps you have awesome action shots like in this story. Or maybe you just have an awesome base or funny circumstance. Bring it on!

Must-do checklist: In order for a screenshot to be usable it must follow this checklist:
-Map edge cannot be visible in frame
-Modded features cannot be visible
-Screenshot must not be downscaled (e.g. colonist names must be pixel-perfect)
-Put your screen in 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 resolution
-Don't process or crop the shot in any way. Don't add labels
-PNG lossless compression is ideal

Recommendations
-UI can be visible for some shots. Most of the time, you'll want to use F10 and F9 to grab screenshots with the UI off.
-Usually it's best to get nice lighting with sun shadows visible
-Avoid ugly UI elements like the "screenshot taken" text or the debug controls visible

-----------------

Also beware the legal notice below! Sorry I have to include it, but the company has to be secure in its ability to use the shots for marketing purposes.

Legal notice: By posting your screenshot in this thread you transfer ownership of it to Ludeon Studios, perpetually and for all purposes, without credit or compensation.

End of legalese; back to personal communication: I'm happy to credit everyone where I can! However, it often won't be possible. E.g. there's no easy place to credit you directly on a Steam page or on rimworldgame.com. That's why I said in the legalese that there is no credit - because Ludeon can't be bound by that.

Thanks everyone!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Quasarrgames

Without credit? that's kind of too bad.

But hey, if it means i get my pictures featured on the official website, it's all good :)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

Tynan

I'm happy to credit everyone where I can! However, it often won't be possible. E.g. there's no easy place to credit you directly on a Steam page or on rimworldgame.com. That's why I said in the legalese that there is no credit - because Ludeon can't be bound by that.

I'll clarify the first post.

Quasarrgames

On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

apljee

Are we allowed to use mods in our screenshots? Thinking of using Industrial Rim.

Tynan

Quote from: apljee on April 28, 2014, 08:46:45 AM
Are we allowed to use mods in our screenshots? Thinking of using Industrial Rim.

Ideally not, I'm afraid.

daft73

Quote from: Tynan on April 28, 2014, 12:09:12 PM

Ideally not, I'm afraid.
This really does make sense, but Bah! ;D

apljee

Ideally not, I'm afraid.

What if we use modifications, but they aren't visible in the screenshot?

Tynan

Quote from: apljee on April 28, 2014, 04:51:56 PM

Ideally not, I'm afraid.

No problem at all!

apljee

Quote from: Tynan on April 28, 2014, 05:22:56 PM
Quote from: apljee on April 28, 2014, 04:51:56 PM

Ideally not, I'm afraid.

No problem at all!

Hooray. Also, are industrial hoppers from industrial rim allowed to be shown? They really don't look much different from the normal hoppers in the game, and I don't think anyone would be complaining about different hopper textures. :p

Geeves

Here's a screenshot you can use. One with and one without UI.

The game is at day 175 at this point and we have just murdered a band of pirates.
Also: no turrets and no mountain wall as backup. Just a bunch of stonewalls that they can't get through.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
You know it is bedtime when you open a file called GeneralEffecters.xml and the first 2 words you notice are: Butcher and Children.
==============
Learning to program is easy. Learning to put what is in your mind into programming code, now that is the hard part.

CounterFact

I am using industrial RIM mod, but I don't think it shows too much.

Afther constant raiding my outer defences started failing. Eventualy I started putting all my recources into building these minor defences... But in the end I was just keeping myself busy. I knew it, the colonists knew it. The only purpose these defences provided was keeping the morale up, keeping our minds of what was to come. And my god...

Here they come, tribals as for as the eye can see. The white goose combo really came for me this time, afther I managed to capture 3 slaves of them last raid.

Knowing what was to come. King Counter speaks words of courage to his followers. Meanwhile the slaves are brought up to act as a way of negotiating a truce with these savages.

Mal reports in... she has some bad news, the frontlines have fallen. The enemy is at the gates! Counter: "This is it! Remember to save your last bullet..."

I could've just posted the screens, but a little story to it adds a bit of extra flair. :D

Tynan

Ender

thats brilliant!

and darn, i wish i could get to my desktop from japan, i have some pretty cool shots of a fight going badly after they broke into my base, oh well...
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Gabriel_Braun

This was one I took with my phone camera a couple of weeks ago to show my mate but still makes me giggle, where's operation yew-tree when you need it? :D

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]