[1.0] Rim of Madness - Bones V2.0

Started by SihvMan, May 18, 2017, 04:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SihvMan

Quote from: Razzoriel on May 19, 2017, 11:29:01 AM
Have you tried taking a look at the mechanoids' XML file? It has amounts in butchering.

Holy sh**! Thank you! This makes it work! I had to completely redo my xpath stuff, but it worked! V1.1 now UP!

Quote from: BlackViperMWG on May 19, 2017, 03:49:55 PM
Looking forward to try this mod, sounds interesting. But one thing; bones are actually quite flammable IRL.

The combustion point of pure bone is over 1300F, which is much higher than the temp in RimWorld ever goes, even during heatwaves/forest fires.

Quote from: Mitz on May 19, 2017, 05:40:00 PM
Great for a extreme biome challenge!
also sounds good for telling manhunter packs to F*** off!

Or Raiders, for that matter, with the new V1.1 update making humans drop bones.

Mehni

Can I use these as dog treats?

kaptain_kavern

Like a new kibbles recipe?

Bones + meat = Dog treat (... or prisoner food ...)

SihvMan

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on May 23, 2017, 07:10:21 AM
Like a new kibbles recipe?

Bones + meat = Dog treat (... or prisoner food ...)

huh. There's an idea. I'll see what I can do in the next release.

zanfino

[Bug / Unintended behavior]
When a creature is butchered the cook hauls the bone item rather than the meat. This is by no means game breaking but does potentially cause excess rotting. Without looking at the mod it seems like the bone is about meat in the list.

SihvMan

Quote from: zanfino on May 28, 2017, 05:37:40 PM
[Bug / Unintended behavior]
When a creature is butchered the cook hauls the bone item rather than the meat. This is by no means game breaking but does potentially cause excess rotting. Without looking at the mod it seems like the bone is about meat in the list.

This is, as far as I can tell, vanilla behavior. It similarly occurs when butchering elephants, where the cook carries tusks first. I'll see what I can on on my end, but no promises. While I'm back working on this, anyone have other bugs/ideas/suggestions to include/fix?

Lethe

Quote from: SihvMan on May 28, 2017, 07:44:28 PM
Chicken farmers! Build your hens a new coop out of the bones of their family!
Cultists. After all, alters to elder gods are best made out of bone!
Any hunting heavy colony. Before long, you'll be able to build EVERYTHING out of bone!
Cannibals. Got to do something with all those human bones

I like the way you think!

Only suggestions I'd make is to +1 the ideas you already have in your future plans (bone floors and advanced bone materials).

Edit: dropbox.com[...].zip?dl=1 Yes! dl=1 Thanks for noticing the little things for us! <3 dl=1 makes me a bit too happy, really -shrugs-

SihvMan

I am working on the next update. However, it has been delayed, pending the arrival of my replacement gpu. ETA to version 1.2, 2 weeks.

Veredii

Hello~  I'm not sure how doable some of these are but I hope they help at least a little.
Here are just some possible uses for bones:

• Bone meal (from grinding bones) - can be used as fertiliser or low-nutrition ingredient for pet feed (small increase to taming when used in taming attempt?)
  • Bone and meat meal (grind bones with a small amount of meat?) - can be used as substitute for fossil fuel at about 2/3 efficiency
  • Bone ash (might not be realistic - needs to burn at 1000c) - could be used for bone china pottery? The amount of work to produce could be offset by higher sell/beauty values?
  • Cooking with bones~ maybe some recipes that use bones? Bone broth is yummy, stew (with veggies) is also delicious. It can take a while to cook bones (more work) but maybe balance it with a small mood increase or temp cold-resist buff?

SihvMan

Quote from: Veredii on June 02, 2017, 05:27:39 AM
Hello~  I'm not sure how doable some of these are but I hope they help at least a little.
Here are just some possible uses for bones:

• Bone meal (from grinding bones) - can be used as fertiliser or low-nutrition ingredient for pet feed (small increase to taming when used in taming attempt?)
  • Bone and meat meal (grind bones with a small amount of meat?) - can be used as substitute for fossil fuel at about 2/3 efficiency
  • Bone ash (might not be realistic - needs to burn at 1000c) - could be used for bone china pottery? The amount of work to produce could be offset by higher sell/beauty values?
  • Cooking with bones~ maybe some recipes that use bones? Bone broth is yummy, stew (with veggies) is also delicious. It can take a while to cook bones (more work) but maybe balance it with a small mood increase or temp cold-resist buff?

• Bone meal is a good idea, but fertilizer falls outside of the scope of this mod. I have considered adding it as a way to make fertilizer/compost for Veg Garden, but that's it.
  • Current plans for 1.2 will make it so you can make chemfuel from bone at the refinery. This will work similar to the wood to chemfuel recipe.
  • Bone China is a good idea. Will look into adding it. Maybe bone -> Refinery = bone ash which could be used for a high beauty/very low hp stone substitute for statue creation.
  • I'm trying to avoid messing with food/drug stuff so far, in order to not make bone OP for food source (after all, you're already getting meat when butchering in addition to bone. Perhaps when Medieval Times is updated, I might patch bones into the stew recipes.

TOWC

Bone traps are a bit too op.
They deal 6 more damage than those made of plasteel.
Plus are inflammable and, ofc, are much easier to make, since bones can be found EVE-RY-WHEEEERE, basically.

SihvMan

Quote from: TOWC on June 02, 2017, 03:50:47 PM
Plus are inflammable and, ofc, are much easier to make, since bones can be found EVE-RY-WHEEEERE, basically.

Huh. Really? That seems a bit odd, as I didn't increase bones damage modifiers that much.

TOWC

Quote from: SihvMan on June 02, 2017, 08:18:46 PM
Quote from: TOWC on June 02, 2017, 03:50:47 PM

Huh. Really? That seems a bit odd, as I didn't increase bones damage modifiers that much.

Yeah, kind of strange.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Canute

Ok, but with 16 HP of the trap any little explosion/fire will destroy it.
Bones are sharp but fragile.

TOWC

Quote from: Canute on June 03, 2017, 09:45:14 AM
Ok, but with 16 HP of the trap any little explosion/fire will destroy it.
Bones are sharp but fragile.

Well, so far in my 3 year-old colony I had no explosions to even damage my plasteel traps. Pretty sure, if I replace them with those made of bones there'll be no big change in that. Except, ofc, they will be more likely to kill those nasty tribal in one hit.