[1.0] Rim of Madness - Bones V2.0

Started by SihvMan, May 18, 2017, 04:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SihvMan

Rim of Madness - Bones

Description:
Build stuff out of bone!

When butchering animals, you will now also receive some bone material. These bones can then be used to build anything that could normally be stuffed out of wood. This includes walls, doors, furniture, workbenches, weapons, and some armors.

Good For?

• Tribal play-throughs, before stone-cutting is researched. Bone has no flammability, so can be used to fireproof parts of your early base.
  • Extreme biomes, where wood is scarce.
  • Chicken farmers! Build your hens a new coop out of the bones of their family!
  • Cultists. After all, alters to elder gods are best made out of bone!
  • Any hunting heavy colony. Before long, you'll be able to build EVERYTHING out of bone!
  • Cannibals. Got to do something with all those human bones

Bone Stats:
Version 2.0 of this mod has bone with identical stats to wood, with the following exceptions

• Flammability is reduced to 0 (Bones aren't very flammable).
  • Sale value of bone items reduced to 75% of similar wood items (hopefully, if I set the correct values).
  • Bone can't be used to fuel fire items (campfire, stove, generator, etc)
  • Sharp and Blunt multipliers swapped.

Download:
[A17] https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1pl1bcyam8vqmk/Bones%20Mod.zip?dl=1
[A18] https://github.com/Rim-Of-Madness-Team/Rim-of-Madness---Bones

Changelog

• Version 1.0 - Initial Release
  • Version 1.1 -

• Bows and Pila are now tagged for 'Wooden', allowing you to make bone bows to go with your bone spears.
    • Bones are now dropped directly from butchering (THANK YOU Razzoriel). Skeleton items will remain until V1.2. Please disassemble all skeletons before then.
  • Version 1.2 -

• Bone Ash/Bone China added - Made in the crematorium. Use as a weak alternative to silver for beautiful art.
    • Bonecrete added - Made at the refinery after appropriate research. Stronger stone alternative, takes more material.
    • Bone Polymer added - Made at the refinery after appropriate research. Weaker/lighter metal alternative, takes less material. Can be combined with steel to form plasteel at refinery.
    • Defs and assets removed for skeletons. Please remove all such items from your base before upgrading.
    • Steam release
  • Version 1.2.1 - Fixed crematorium bug
  • Version 1.3

• Miscellaneous XML tweaks
    • Compatability for Megafauna, Tiberium Rim, Cosmic Horrors, Animal Collab, and Beasts of the Rim added.
    • Patch Generating Code now in the patch folder
  • Version 1.4

• New way of adding bones thanks to Nightinggale.
    • Bones now naturally added to all creatures (even modded one). Patches are now needed to remove bones instead (for mechanoids and the like) instead of adding bones. Compatibility is even higher now.
    • Fixed the bones carried before meat 'bug'
  • Version 2.0

• Now part of the Rim of Madness Collection.
    • New mod config menu to alter bone drops.
    • New art!
    • Skull throne!
    • Can now extract marrow from bones. Marrow can be eaten like pemmican, or used to make gelatin.
    • Skull masks! Can craft at either the crafting spot or the tailor bench.

If you have a mechanoid adding mod, and don't want them dropping bones, simply make a patch with;
<Operation Class="PatchOperationSequence">
<success>Always</success>
<operations>
<li Class="PatchOperationAdd">
<xpath>*/ThingDef[defName = "DEF OF MECHANOID"]/statBases</xpath>
<value>
<BoneAmount>0</BoneAmount>
</value>
</li>
</operations>
</Operation>

Future Plans:

• Figure out humans and bones Done
  • Bone floors? For now, the stuffed floor mods will have to suffice. Done.
  • Skull Lamps and Skull Throne - Pending art assets. Done.
  • 'Advanced' bone materials, gated behind research. Done.
  • Ivory art Done. Renamed bone china.

Authors

• SihvMan (Me)
  • Nightinggale - Patch Generating Code. HUGE TIMESAVER.

Contributors

• Razzoriel - For pointing out the alternate XML tags for butchering.
  • damngrl - For initial fish industry patch.
  • Dark_Inquisitor - New bone textures.
  • bonesbro - Crematorium bug fix

License
You are hereby allowed to modify this in any way for your own personal use. Please do not re-release this mod anywhere else.

If you wish to include this in a modpack, please PM me for permission.

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

XeoNovaDan

How good is bone compared to wood or steel? This seems like a good mod, but I'm just wondering if the balance is up to scratch

SihvMan

Version 1.0 of this mod has bone with identical stats to wood, with the following exceptions

- Flammability is reduced to 0 (Bones aren't very flammable).
- Sale value of bone items reduced to 75% of similar wood items (hopefully, if I set the correct values).
- Bone can't be used to fuel fire items (campfire, stove, generator, etc)

I am taking balance suggestions if people have suggestions.

Also, if anyone knows where butcherBodyParts goes for a Humanlike ThingDef, or an equivalent, I'd very much like to know.

EDIT: Stats added to main post.

Modo44

A weak building material that is not flammable would be very interesting from a balance perspective. Looking forward to trying this.

DiamondBorne

Don't forget to add skulls for the skull throne. ^_^

medsal15

As a SS13 player... Where is my skull chalice?

SihvMan

Quote from: DiamondBorne on May 18, 2017, 02:31:21 PM
Don't forget to add skulls for the skull throne. ^_^

If any art capable person makes a skull throne to be used, I'll gladly add a skull throne. In the mean time, bone dining chairs are kinda similar?

Quote from: medsal15 on May 18, 2017, 02:56:56 PM
As a SS13 player... Where is my skull chalice?

Barring a medieval times update, skull chalices are unfortunately unavailable.

...unless you count a bone plant pot as a skull chalice full of dirt?

marvin__

Ok to add to a save?
Oh, it's for alpha17 ;-;

SihvMan

Quote from: marvin__ on May 18, 2017, 04:14:26 PM
Ok to add to a save?
Oh, it's for alpha17 ;-;

It is old save safe. Unfortunately, this can only really be done well with A17. I had to HEAVILY leverage the new xpath patching method in order to make this work.

CrazyCoco

Question about the mod - why not just have meat/leather/bone result from butchering, instead of the skeletons that then have to be deconstructed?

SihvMan

Quote from: CrazyCoco on May 19, 2017, 12:46:37 AM
Question about the mod - why not just have meat/leather/bone result from butchering, instead of the skeletons that then have to be deconstructed?

I'd like for it to be a direct drop, but there are issues with that at current.

Meat and leather are from a special bit of code (added in recent alphas) that do percentage based calculations and such based upon skill. Modifying the outcome of that requires more knowledge of C# than I currently possess. Not to mention, it would not be compatible with anything else modifying butcher results.

The current rendition of the mod leverages xpath inserts to add a butcherBodyPart line into the animals Defs dynamically. Much more compatible with essentially everything. As for why it drops skeletons instead of bones? ButcherBodyParts doesn't allow for amounts. So, I improvised.

tl;dr: C# is hard and incompatible, but XML requires skeleton drops.

Canute

You should ask the Hardcore-SK team, maybe visit them at their discord channel.
You need to butcher the terminators and you are geting different products then meat/leather out of these cyborgs.
I think this is what you need.

Razzoriel

Have you tried taking a look at the mechanoids' XML file? It has amounts in butchering.

BlackViperMWG

Looking forward to try this mod, sounds interesting. But one thing; bones are actually quite flammable IRL.

Mitz

Great for a extreme biome challenge!
also sounds good for telling manhunter packs to F*** off!
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.