help with wall atlas (weird middle part)

Started by keylocke, May 18, 2017, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

i sketched up a wall (WIP, tile clipping coz it's just a sketch)

here's what it looks like (the in-wall electric/pipes is barely distinguishable in vanilla, but can be easily seen with camera plus mod.)

however, as you can see here :

it creates a blackhole-like thingie in the middle.

here's the wall atlas i used :

i filled up all the places where the walls should be, but where should i place the texture that would display for the middle part? (the part that looked like a black hole)

can anyone point out the location where the texture for the middle part should be drawn in?

Fluffy (l2032)

Shinzy, didn't you figure this one out? Mrofa?

jamaicancastle

The way walls work normally, there isn't a separate texture that gets placed in the middle; it's stretched from one pixel of the normal texture. (I'm not sure from looking at it which one, exactly; maybe the central one?) This works for the normal walls since they're just a flat color on top.

In your case, the easiest "fix" would be to go into the wall def and change its <linkType> from "CornerFiller" to "Basic". This should make it use the linking logic that sandbags use, i.e., it won't attempt to fill in between walls that are next to each other, which may look odd but at least won't have this issue.

Shinzy

Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 18, 2017, 04:01:42 PM
(I'm not sure from looking at it which one, exactly; maybe the central one?)

it's one of the pixels from the middle
like Jammy said, you can either make the middle pixel nice gray or switch the linkType
(I would simplify the texture a bit, it feels bit too noisy now :p)

keylocke

@shinzy : yea. the black lines make it look too noisy. hoping to fix that up later after i mute out the line strokes and make it blend better, but if that fails, am gonna lessen up the details. (since the wall tile details look too small compared to floor tile details)

@jamaican : yep, it seems this way.

i was able to add pipes/wires in walls (horizontal mid, horizontal ends, vertical mid, vertical ends)
however, i needed to keep other walls (corners, t-shapes, cross) blank in the middle.

not the best solution i guess.. but iirc, there was a barbed wire fence mod that managed to display the mid part properly, gonna go check on that later.

thanks guys.