Partial amputation / scoop out from infected wound.

Started by mumblemumble, May 21, 2017, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

Currently infected wounds have 3 options. Wait and see if its survived, amputate the ENTIRE region, or let them die : only problem is, this does not help with things like brains, torsos, necks, or other elements

So I propose another option : scooping out / excising the infection. Similar to amputation, except harder, riskier, higher risk of infection (ironically) and takes whatever percentage the infection is, and subtracts that percentage from the body part (a torso at 50% infection would lose 20hp). Possibly even make it 66% percent of the infection rate, so trying to scoop on a 80% infection isn't immediately a failure for an already injured part.

The area would then have a long term wound with it, very likely to scar over, but not entirely impossible to heal up.

In essence this would give us a chance for core infections, of vital organs, or the torso, brain, neck, or other parts : far from ideal, very messy, but leaves us with a plan D to use for colonists IF you are quick on it. It would also give a chance to save limbs, except it would end up being a waste of time and resources if it fails, or gets infected again, as eventually the limb runs out of flesh to scoop out.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

cultist

The real offender here is the torso/head wounds... far too common because those areas represent a lot of possible hit space. The story of the infected toe that had to be amputated is a nice little twist to a bad event. The story of the pawn who once again died to torso infection from a minor wound because it's the first season and you don't have penoxy is getting kind of old.

mumblemumble

And this is exactly why I suggest it : I could figure someone gambling and taking a permanent major injury to such a part in exchange for more time. I personally would be ok with a gaping hole in my torso, or a removed section of my head (and possibly severe brain damage) at a chance at living still.

On second thought though, maybe not organs, as this is a bit silly : removing half a heart and surviving doesn't seem very possible, but I suppose it depends on the organ : and I'm not a doctor anyway.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

O Negative

This might be easy to implement actually.
I'll see if I can't mod it when I get home from work :P

I agree that this would be a good addition.
+1 from me.

Update: Yeah, it's pretty easy to do this...

vampiresoap

Can add the "mangled" condition to the body part after the operation.