Automatic Food Rationing Option

Started by Ichoreen, May 22, 2017, 12:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ichoreen

Can an option that would make your pawn automatically eat just enough to avoid starvation? As I am playing right now my Tribals are huddling in their wooden cabin waiting out a toxic fallout and I was wondering if there could be an alternative to me manually restricting and allowing the food to keep them malnourished but alive. The computer would be able to make the calculations automatically.

Lord Of Darkness

Yea i would second that, there has been times even in winter where food starts to get so low, and it would be common sense for people to realize if we keep eating this way we are going to run out and starve.

OFWG

Thirded. Could be similar to the Prison Architect meal quantity policy.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Shurp

I was going to start a new topic after my frustration with my latest colony, and then I discovered this thread.  We need a way to tell colonists it's time to stop being such pigs.  I even thought of an easy way to implement it. 

Right now each colonist already has a "self tend" tick box setting on the health tab that changes their behavior.  What we need is a "ration food" tick box next to it.  When you tick it, colonists will wait until they are Urgently Hungry before running to the freezer to stuff their faces.  But in addition as soon as you hit the tick they should immediately get slapped with a "-8: rationing food" mood penalty with a description "Our colony is running out of food, we're all going to die, I'm so depressed!"  And this penalty should be in addition to any hunger penalties they may already have.

So if you want to micromanage food you can, but if not, you have a tradeoff: let Rimworld handle it realistically, but suffer a mood penalty for it.

How hard would it be to write a mod that does this?
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Ser Kitteh

It would be nice to have a "fasting" mode. Eat twice a day, and eat very little. You can survive quite a while without food or minimal food.

Shurp

Yes, if the "ration" or "fasting" mode also included an option to reduce how much was eaten so it would last longer -- only grabbing 5 or 10 units of pemmican instead of 20 -- that would be even better.

This could be implemented with meals too.  The colonist eats half, and leaves the meal at 50% deterioration.  And when the next pawn picks it up and eats the rest he only gets 50% nutrition from it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Tomasdav

Quote from: Shurp on April 25, 2018, 08:08:48 PM
I was going to start a new topic after my frustration with my latest colony, and then I discovered this thread.  We need a way to tell colonists it's time to stop being such pigs.  I even thought of an easy way to implement it. 

Right now each colonist already has a "self tend" tick box setting on the health tab that changes their behavior.  What we need is a "ration food" tick box next to it.  When you tick it, colonists will wait until they are Urgently Hungry before running to the freezer to stuff their faces.  But in addition as soon as you hit the tick they should immediately get slapped with a "-8: rationing food" mood penalty with a description "Our colony is running out of food, we're all going to die, I'm so depressed!"  And this penalty should be in addition to any hunger penalties they may already have.

So if you want to micromanage food you can, but if not, you have a tradeoff: let Rimworld handle it realistically, but suffer a mood penalty for it.

How hard would it be to write a mod that does this?
Or just make pawns move and work slower since they donĀ“t have enough energy

Ser Kitteh

The biggest problem to implement rationing/fasting is the health issues/benefits that come with it. Fasting IS healthy, but I don't think RW is advanced enough to do so.

Now something like Frostpunk's rationing (you either have full meals or soup), might be a better idea, with related negative/positive opinions with it.

Shurp

Hmmm, so all we need then is a "survival rations" food item, which only provides 6 nutrition instead of 17... no, wait, that won't work in Rimworld.  The colonists will keep heading back to the fridge for more as soon as they get near to hungry and will eat the same amount of food overall.

The only way this would work if there were a latency of some sort where a colonist won't eat unless 8 hours have passed since he last ate.

Jackalvin

Just put some sawdust in there. It'll be fiiiiiiinnnneeee...
-Insert Witty Joke Here-

Shurp

A drug that reduces hunger would be nice.  Hmmm.  Opiod addiction could make for an entertaining "story".