Build Roads

Started by sarke, May 22, 2017, 09:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarke

It would be really handy if there was a way to build roads [on the world map]....

Penguinmanereikel

That would likely unbalance the game. Besides, if we get the power to build roads, then other similar powers would need to implemented as well, otherwise, it would be strange to just be able to build roads on the map. We would also need the power to dig out rivers and canals, or break down a mountain pass to let a new river through.

ReZpawner

Maybe not 'roads' in the modern sense, but gravel roads or paths sound like a decent idea

YokoZar

Do the roads on the world map actually improve travel time?  The terrain tips imply they don't.

So what would be the advantage?

DariusWolfe

They absolutely do. You'll notice that route planning will often go well out of the way to take a road; If you manually set waypoints for a shorter overall distance, you'll find that the travel time is often the same, or more, even for significantly shorter distances.

I'm not 100% sure, but I also think better roads increase travel time more.

tocsin1990

Now that roads are officially in the world, I think it would be cool if a well established colony could go out into the world via caravans and build their own roads.  Maybe have it require temporarily settling on a tile, and building a 3 or 4 tile wide stone path, uninterrupted, from one end of the map, and when it is built a road tile appears on the world map, and can be traveled on.  These can be stacked, so that, theoretically with enough resources, one could make a road from their colony to a neighbor, for faster trading.

I think this could be a really cool way for well established colonies (with an overabundance of resources) to spend their resources in a way that would have a tangible effect.  If my colony is self-sufficient, and I have like 2000 rock chunks hanging around from my strip mining for components and uranium, I would love to put a few colonists to work for a year, and use all those rock chunks to make a tangible benefit.

BetaSpectre

+1 it would be nice if you could physically connect and expand roads on the colony map for it to affect the world map.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Yoshida Keiji

I'm a Lost Tribe only player. I feel in every game that between the third and fifth year, the game narrows to gather steel and components to launch the ship, and that's when the game gets boring.

In that period, you have the good chance to go caravanning or expand your faction to a total 5 colonies.

I think it would make sense if we players gain the option to "at least" build roads that connect our colonies. Or if relations between us and other factions reach +100 points, allow us to connect with the NPCs as well. Like a "World Incident" that would require cooperation between both sides, where construction of new roads would require a sort of mini-outpost or mini-map to guard the whole operation from the usual threats.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Yoshida Keiji

Thanks for the heads up.