Problems with stockpiles

Started by BladeOfSharpness, May 24, 2017, 03:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BladeOfSharpness

Hi,

I have a problem with how things keep organized (or not) with stockpiles. What I would like is to have a main stockpile for a given object (say steel) and secondary stockpiles. My issue is that as soon as a few resources are missing in a secondary stockpile, a pawn will try hauling from the main, which is clearly not optimal when you need to optimize a bit (Randy on intense).

I can prevent the main from 'injecting' into the secondaries, if I lower the main priority to low. But then the pawns will haul back from secondaries to fill the main.

So basically, as it is done in Dwarf Fortress (I think... I did not play it since 2 years), I would need a setting where a stockpile  is not refilled before it is at % capacity or lower. This way, it will only trigger an hauling job when there is a good amount of resources to haul at once.

I believe this issue has been raised before, and I would not be surprised that a mod exists on that, but so far, I did not find any mod doing that.

Any help please? This would cut my micromanagement by a good amount...

ReZpawner

The injecting solution is the only one I could come up with too. From time to time I just go to the small pile and set it to a higher priority until it's hauled, then back again. Like you say though, it's hardly an optimal solution.

Canute

QuoteI would need a setting where a stockpile  is not refilled before it is at % capacity or lower.
Hauling hysteria mod.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26958.0

And this is Rimworld, not dwarf fortress, why you don't compare it with civilisation or stonehearth that would made the same sense :-)

From my expierence,
1 big stockpile with normal/pref. priority (mosttimes tradebeacon size) for resources another one for nonstackable things like weapon/appearal.
1x1 stockpiles with important next to workbenches for most used resources.

Multiple big stockpiles with same priority for the same things don't work well. Your pawns allways haul to the nearest one.
Maybe try some storage mod (extended storage or Quantum storage) at this way you can store more things at the same space.

br1zz

And this is Rimworld, not dwarf fortress, why you don't compare it with civilisation or stonehearth that would made the same sense :-)

i dont know if you ever played dwarf fortress, but rimworld is based on dwarf fortress. without dwarf fortress, rimworld wouldnt exist. and before all you guys start picking up torches and pitchforks, let me say that while rimworld is based on dwarf fortress, ludeon studios picked up the idea and transformed it into a more enjoyable, more user friendly game. you can use the mouse to comfortably do everything you need in the game ( which you cant in dwarf fortress ), every menu is easily accessible etc., you have better and faster access to informations in rimworld. many gameplay features of dwarf fortress are not present in rimworld, for the sake of better gameplay and immersion. on top of that, ludeon studios added their own flavour and ideas to this game. and most importantly rimworld manages to create immersion and attachment to your pawns, which makes every playthrough emotional, something that dwarf fortress cant do as good as rimworld.

in the end, the sum of all this single things combined makes something unique und great. ludeon studios has some highly creative and talented poeple that did this.

BladeOfSharpness

Is there the equivalent of Hauling Hysteresis but for A17?

Canute

When you wait a few days/weeks it will be ported to the newest version i am sure.

Serenity

BladeOfSharpness

yes, thanks you a bunch guys  :)

Ouroboros

I got 320 hours played in Rimworld and I never needed more than 3 stockpiles. 

1 freezer for food and corpses
1 stockpile for armor, weapons and clothing
1 stockpile for resources

Usually around 15x15 in size. 

Maybe I'm playing the game wrong dunno :P

BladeOfSharpness

Don't know, are you playing Randy Intense or worse? Sometime you need to optimize things. And this is how I like to play, on the edge. No challenge, no interest for me :)