Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMrMoMo

I am sure that it is not because of a trait. I have two people that take care of animal related things and all of the colonists have that negative opinion about them, they even think that about each other.

In the long term this might lead to ostracize the animal handlers and constant fights.

dershamc903

Does anyone know if you kill all the bases for a Faction if Faction raids from that Faction stop happening?

I lucked out on my map in that the space ship to leave the game event is actually in Temperate terrain, just on the eastern side of the map where I had settled on the western side. So I'm travelling along with my pawns, attacking every Tribal base along the way and I just wondered if I destroyed them all if that meant the Tribal's as a faction would no longer exist.

Panzer

Quote from: dershamc903 on June 06, 2017, 06:24:39 PM
Does anyone know if you kill all the bases for a Faction if Faction raids from that Faction stop happening?

If you destroy all the faction bases, you wipe that faction off the map, see the attached screenshot. It is also noted in the faction tab in the world map.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Panzer

So, I have been playing quite a bit to give some more feedback. I played 3 colonies with randy random on intense difficulty, 2 short lived ones and one very successful one, about 3 years.

Concerning the storyteller, after 2 years playtime it seems like you dont get as many events as in the first 2 years and thats a bit boring, I added a raid every 6 days for that reason. Randy also seems to be able to fire events at day 1, which I am not a fan of, I got day 1 gut worms as well as a day 2 heat wave that caught me by surprise and ended a run.

The roads and rivers are a really nice addition, roads are super useful and rivers are nice to look at, they dont serve any other purpose right now ;D The water graphics are more subtle now and less distracting.

I like the changes to the skills, low skilled and high skilled work is very noticeable now, as well with shooting, high skilled pawns are very accurate.
I feel like the melee skill dodge chance could be increased a bit more, it is barely noticeable and once your pawn gets hit in the leg it is over with dodging anyways. Melee skill gain could also be increased more, before personal shields melee is tricky to use and I rarely use it, maybe an ambush style to bind enemy shooters. After personal shields melee becomes more viable, but it is still very hard to level someone past lvl 12-13 or keep a high lvl melee fighter at his level.

The changes to the health system are nice, the impact of conciousness on everything and vice versa is pretty cool, also the information listing is better and more clear. Infections are very manageable except for liver or kidney infection, those are a death sentence and require amputation or a new part.
Due to the increased accuracy and increased body part coverage for certain parts, my pawns lose way more extremities, but it doesnt seem to impact their performance as much as before, which is nice.

Economy is way slower now, I cant amass huge piles of silver before year 3 anymore, Bionics/replacement body parts are rare and highly sought after. The Caravan requests, stashes etc... are a really awesome addition, those quests give you a goal to work towards and make gameplay less stale once you re established. They re also my main income source ^^

As others have noticed before, crafting stuff is confusing, blocks award construction xp, drugs give intellectual xp, what levels crafting now apart from tailoring/smithing? New players may get even more confused. The renaming of helmets was a very good idea by the way, very straight forward now. The new chain shotgun looks scary at first but is outperformed by the heavy smg in my opinion, the accuracy is way too low even for 3 shots.

Next up is fighting, tribals arent as scary anymore, but raiders became more scary. Surviving against the raids in the beginning is a real task now, raids are the scariest around the end of year 1 for me, when I have around 7 people and start to get some wealth going but am not very well equipped. Is there a limit to raider addictions by the way or is it completely rng? I had a 11 raiders vs 7 colonists fight, 5 of the raiders were addicts, 3 to go juice and one each to yayo and flake. Needless to say the raiders wiped the floor with me and ended my colony, they just didnt want to die and were too well equipped. Late game raids are kind of trivial though, once the launcher raiders are out of the way the fights are almost too easy, I could do with a bit more raiders. Sapper AI is still a bit stupid compared to the other raid types, I was able to pick them off one by one without getting hurt while they were mining, it would be cool if one quarter stays with the miner and the rest assaults your colonists in such cases.
The new mortars are a bit too accurate for my tastes, 2-3 mortars are enough to soften or destroy waiting raids and annihilate sieges completely, they may be part of the reason why late game raids are so trivial. The shells are more difficult to make but are still pretty cheap if you buy them, traders should charge more or carry less in my opinion. Concerning sieges, they are kind of trivial if you have mortars or super deadly if you dont and are not holed up in a mountain.

Insects are scary now and require a bit of planning before taking them on, I like them the way they are now ;D

Mech centipedes could use some love, they get downed way too easily, probably due to the new health system. Ship parts can be cheesed with 2 pawns, one shoots the ship and when the mechs give chase, a 2nd hidden pawn approaches the ship and keeps knocking on the hull, resulting in the mechs giving endless chase and assaulting your colony.

All in all A17 is a great update though, the bug fixes are super appreciated, stuff like worker override and the bill pause are really useful features, and I always appreciate the little details like the exact birth dates, ashes and burnt trees after a fire, or corpse bile, ew! ;D
Keep up the great work, devs!

Shurp

Wha... orbital combat suppliers don't buy clothing anymore?

I guess I have to go back to making joints to make money.  :(

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Woa -- orbital exotic traders don't buy clothing anymore?  Who *does* still buy clothing, only bulk traders?  It's starting to look like I have a pile of t-shirts plugging up my stockpile forever :(
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

nccvoyager

You can always just burn them.
Or make a huge stockpile for just those outside of your main base.
Just pillars and roofs over a huge stockpile.

DariusWolfe

You can also take them on a caravan; Most settlements will buy clothes.

Half the reason I send out caravans, honestly, is to clear my stockpiles; I send stacks of small quantity leathers, meats (if it's a short caravan, which it usually is) clothes, low quality weapons and artwork, get there, sell, come on back. It's usually low profit, but it clears the junk out of my stockpiles, and is usually only a day or so round trip (I settle near roads in clusters of friendly {or potentially friendly; A hostile tribe is just a handful of raids away from being friends}, so it's usually pretty quick to get out and back) so I'm rarely put out much.

CabbageFoot

So we have rivers and stuff... But largely they are still useless form a mechanics standpoint. Sure, sometimes they can act as a chokepoint against raids, but that's about it. It would be really neat if rimworld had some kind of water management system for aguriculture, or, if not, then just the ability to irrigate the land (digging a ditch connected to a water source)  and turn it into something like rich soil. Right now i look at rivers and think to myself, "Pehh, I can't build around that", while in real life societies formed around rivers because it make agriculture easier. ANY FISHING! OMG ADD FISHING, and an ANGLER skill!!!! I'm going to now look for a fishing mod!

Yoshida Keiji

I'm a bit late but hope the developer team, Tynan are still reading this thread. I started the game this year and the update to A17 took me by surprise too early in my learning curve. So I just turned to A17 two days ago. I'm on my second game now post A17. First one got annihilated by consecutive infections.

Today in my second A17 game, I checked the "Planning mode" too see the distance between my colony and Journey destination, then I missed "Strava".

Strava is a popular application for sportsmen and travelers, both for computers and smartphones. This Strava, also has a planning feature, richer in criteria such as short/fast, altitude gain, popular traffic routes. And while you select your preference, the guiding line will appear, just like in A17....only that it has an extra feature that I would love to see here too:

* While you drag your cursor over the guiding path, a simple dot will appear above with an extra infobox that gives additional information. If you place that dot between both waypoints, the additional info will display the estimation at that point so that you can clearly see the estimated time by that point, allowing users to view the same seeked data without making multiple waypoints for each particular segment. Which basically breaks the entire route into small segments.

We are not going to get into Charlene Whitestone's pinpoint in one shot, so this addition would help better for players to plan ahead future settlements with more ease than the current state.

Yoshida Keiji

Self-treatment of injuries needs to be adjusted so that when animals nuzzle them, pawn won't stop self-healing half way and restart from zero again. I'm currently playing a game with just one doctor, who has a frail torso making his manipulation drop to 70%, two passion flames that started in level 2 I think and is currently at skill level 4. That nuzzle was so upsetting I almost kill the pet myself. This is a game deficiency as we players cannot control what animals will do in occasions as such. Asking us to draft a colonist or all wounded colonists to a pet free zone for uninterrupted treatment is too excessive.

asanbr

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on September 09, 2017, 09:40:00 PM
Self-treatment of injuries needs to be adjusted so that when animals nuzzle them, pawn won't stop self-healing half way and restart from zero again. I'm currently playing a game with just one doctor, who has a frail torso making his manipulation drop to 70%, two passion flames that started in level 2 I think and is currently at skill level 4. That nuzzle was so upsetting I almost kill the pet myself. This is a game deficiency as we players cannot control what animals will do in occasions as such. Asking us to draft a colonist or all wounded colonists to a pet free zone for uninterrupted treatment is too excessive.

You should report this as a bug.

Nameless