Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiantSpaceHamster

QuoteManhunter pack incident can now use any kind of animal.

I thought this came up during A17 "beta" when someone had a Thrumbo manhunter pack, resulting in Thrumbos being removed from the manhunter options. Does this mean that got reverted (or that I am hallucinating) and that Thrumbo manhunter packs are a possibility now?

Tynan

Thrumbos are now restricted to their own incident and can't arrive as manhunters. You can still get Megasloths and other huge animals though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Headshotkill

hmmmm, might want to test those buffed mortars, maybe they sound a little too buffed.

ShadowTani

Am I correct in assuming that manhunting pack numbers are scaled according to at least their size, or their attack power? It seems something along that line, but not sure as it could just be a coincidence of Randy being random or my memory not being too good. But either way, oh boy, the faster smaller animals are WAY more devastating than the slow large ones when they arrive in a huge zerg that my colonists can't run away from (especially true when not on base), lol. Just thought I'd throw that out here since we where on the subject of manhunting animals. xD It makes it a nice two in one event, where one with large slow animals = free meat and leather event / while one with small fast animals = hide or get ganked event, or dwarf fortress level of FUN if you like xD

Bozobub

There is no more honorable demise than death by squirrel.
Thanks, belgord!

Razyda

No feedback as I haven't played this alpha yet (just downloaded it), just wanted to say these updates are much appreciated, I love this game and it just keeps getting better!  8)

Saikar

Can't say I'm thrilled about the mining changes. Getting 25 steel per tile is going to make me burn through my resources amazingly fast.

It also takes longer to chop down a tree than it does to build highly complicated electronic devices like a solar panel, which is baffling.

Edit: played with mining, see it goes up by about 3 per level. I was getting yields of 30 at level 4. In order to get to 75 that would take 15 more levels, or 19 mining skill, assuming it scales liberally like that. That's... not encouraging.

Really don't understand why this game becomes more and more difficult every patch without any real balancing factors to give players robust options and new choices. Its not like you have any alternative to mining in early game.

Tynan

Saikar - the standard mining yield is 35 (not 75) and has been for many alphas.

A level 4 pawn gets 90% of standard yield (31 or 32); a level 8 pawn gets 100%, level 20 gets 113% (39 or 40).

QuoteIt also takes longer to chop down a tree than it does to build highly complicated electronic devices like a solar panel, which is baffling.

Not sure where you go this. The work to harvest an oak tree is 1000. The work to build a solar panel is 2500. The tree harvest will only take longer if your constructor is really good and your treecutter is really bad (e.g. missing an arm or something).

QuoteReally don't understand why this game becomes more and more difficult every patch without any real balancing factors to give players robust options and new choices.

Dozens of systems were rebalanced, including making many of them easier, all in an effort to bring new choices into focus.

The main thing in this build is that colonists having poor skills was made more important, which makes the economy harder in some cases (and easier in others when you have a very good pawn/skill match). You actually should know a bit about your pawns and you now have a reason to choose one econ strategy over another if you have different skill mixes.

Since the econ game is now more in-depth and challenging, I reduced the strength of the raids significantly. So, rather than having a super easy econ game matched to masses of raiders to beat you down, both the econ game and combat game present a significant portion of the challenge. That was the design goal.

QuoteIts not like you have any alternative to mining in early game.

Wood is the alternative, unless you're choosing to play in a really hard biome without abundant wood supplies.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

O Negative

Gotta say, I'm really loving the way fires leave behind a story of destruction (ash, tree stumps, etc.)

I was able to stop the fire relatively easily by cutting plants, and using the river to the south to my advantage.

I've been playing on Cass | Rough, on my first serious playthrough.

Temperate biomes are incredibly easy, and I feel like I can be creative here. As you can probably tell by my screenshot, I'm playing around with different floor plans for houses made of wood. Not the cleverest of things to do, but I like the aesthetic of them. Probably going to actually use firefoam poppers now, since I like wooden floors and those can catch on fire now :P

Overall, the game feels great. A bit easier than past Alphas, but that's not a bad thing :)

cmitc1

if I'm not mistaking, A17 was also suppose to improve the option of using livestock as a food source? if it does, what does it change?

Listy

Did the Dead mans clothing get re-worked? Because the current filter set up is a right royal pain to control your stockpiles, and the lack of filter for outfits causes some issues.
It'd be easier and more logical to control if the stockpile filter was reversed.

Did Construction get split back into Repair and construction?

ReZpawner

With a tribal start on a flat map, I barely do any mining at all. It's perfectly doable to rely on chunks and traders.

Oh, and I start without any additional resources.

Birdy

Quote from: cmitc1 on May 25, 2017, 02:35:19 AM
if I'm not mistaking, A17 was also suppose to improve the option of using livestock as a food source? if it does, what does it change?
Added "animal gather speed" stat which makes some pawns faster at gathering wool or milk.
Added "animal product yield" stat which makes some pawns more/less likely to waste the product when gathering wool or milk.

I believe that helps some. :D

mellowautomata

Quote from: ReZpawner on May 25, 2017, 04:52:11 AM

With a tribal start on a flat map, I barely do any mining at all. It's perfectly doable to rely on chunks and traders.

Oh, and I start without any additional resources.

I recently watched A16 playthrough with a person starting in sea ice with three colonists, entirely vanilla (at least never noticed a mod) and what seemed to be default crashlanding setting, rough Randy.

After seeing that he actually managed to play it through (and while his luck wasn't catastrophic, it was mostly terrible, only exception being that his pawns initially seemed to make great shots with rifle).

And that guy managed to do it. Despite making also mistakes which lead to wasted resources that were crucial in the beginning of the game.

After seeing his story, I think it's unreasonable to say that you can't pull it off no matter what, at least with default crashlanding setup.

mattig89ch

Just wanted to say, well done.  I haven't played it yet, but the list of addons and improvements is great looking.  Really looking forward to starting up a new colony with these new additions.