Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: ITypedThis on May 26, 2017, 01:01:53 AM
The fact that I actively chose to put my favourite colonist on ice for who knows how long just because she got a few unlucky hits is just unfun. Frustrating to watch her fail everything and produce terrible goods because of so little.

Devmode, replace torso.

It's not cheating if it makes the game more fun.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Razzoriel

Just a heads-up: you guys might want to change the version history text to add that limbs and organs' coverage was increased (as in, they will get attacked more often).

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=32898.0

nccvoyager

So, took a look at A17 for around 15 minutes when I got home today before I came back to town to do a few things.
Performance seemed okay, still holding around 25FPS on my toaster.
(Actually, it runs around 65C in the tower, so I think I could technically cook something in it.)
Liking it so far.
Tynan and ison (and any other team members, though I apologize I can't remember y'all,) I congratulate you on this great release.

jamaicancastle

Is it intended that a colonist with the Wimp trait is completely sidelined by pain from diseases, in this case Fibrous Mechanites? Normally Wimp would be a minor annoyance (this pawn can't even fight in the first place), and the mechanites are a mixed blessing, but combine them and he literally just spent 25 consecutive days totally bed-ridden... which actually made it much more debilitating than the lethal diseases I've encountered this game.

This was on the slightly-easier-than-normal Cassandra, incidentally, not that it makes much difference.

Tynan

Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 27, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
Is it intended that a colonist with the Wimp trait is completely sidelined by pain from diseases, in this case Fibrous Mechanites? Normally Wimp would be a minor annoyance (this pawn can't even fight in the first place), and the mechanites are a mixed blessing, but combine them and he literally just spent 25 consecutive days totally bed-ridden... which actually made it much more debilitating than the lethal diseases I've encountered this game.

This was on the slightly-easier-than-normal Cassandra, incidentally, not that it makes much difference.

Sounds like an interesting game system interaction. What a wimp!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mumblemumble

Well, you could hop the guy up on drugs, right?
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Aerial

Just had a very frustrating situation:  A17, Cassandra Rough, no mods.

A raid launched, of the "they're going to prepare a while and then attack" variety.  So, while they milled about on the far edge of the map, the message that friendlies were arriving to help flashed and a huge troupe of fighters from one of my allies appeared and marched over to my base.

"Wonderful!" I thought, since I only have two colonists who can fight.  So I sent those two colonists to essentially hide out behind the big group of friendlies and wait for the tribal raid to smash into them.  Then they could move in to support however made sense.

Eventually, the tribespeople start their raid.  Except, the friendlies *completely ignored them*.  The tribespeople didn't attack them and they didn't attack the raiders. So the raid nearly massacred my entire colony because the friendlies that moved in to help didn't.  I would have set up very differently had my colonists been on their own and probably would have weathered the raid better if the friendlies hadn't arrived.

My question is whether this situation is supposed to be able to happen?  It turns out the raiders and the friendlies belong to factions that aren't enemies of each other.  Does that mean they wouldn't fight, then?  Do I need to check factions whenever friendlies show up to "help"?

If so, it seems like there should be a tooltip or something (at least the first time) to let players know they need to check the factions tab before believing that the "friendlies are moving in to help" message is real.

Bozobub

Quote from: Tynan on May 27, 2017, 01:51:09 PM

Sounds more like a completely useless pawn.
Thanks, belgord!

RemingtonRyder

Peaceful difficulty: You still get caravan ambushes.

Might as well call it 'Kinda peaceful, but not really.' ;)

OFWG

Quote from: Bozobub on May 27, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: Tynan on May 27, 2017, 01:51:09 PM
(the wimp) spent 25 consecutive days totally bed-ridden... which actually made it much more debilitating than the lethal diseases I've encountered this game.
Sounds more like a completely useless pawn.

The same thing said 3 different ways :D
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

brimstone1x

"Manhunter pack incident can now use any kind of animal"

What was the motivation behind this decision? Does this include swarms of snow hares?

hoffmale

Just tested: A colonist with trait wimp and some scars (>15% pain in total) is basically dead.

If you start the game with such a pawn, he can actually do stuff - until he gets his first additional source of pain (e.g. a squirrel bite). Just receiving it triggers the wimp trait (as expected), but since you won't get below 15% pain even after that additional source of pain is completely healed, the wimp will stay triggered forever (well, unless you get lucky with luciferium). He will only survive by other people force feeding him.

This might make for some really hard challenges ("play this without taking any damage ever"), but if this is your starting pawn in a rich explorer scenario (because you didn't know or didn't realize the implications of the combination wimp + scars), you can basically forget about playing that game...

Petition: for starting pawns, please set wimp to ignore the pain from its starting scars (one could set the pain threshold of wimp to sum of scar pains plus 1% if sum of scar pains >= 15%) or force the default character generation to not give him scars with a sum greater or equal to 15% pain, as starting with such a pawn really is no fun.

username2

playing ALOT of a17 and the missions are a real sore point for me right now.
If I'm going to get so many missions in the first 2 years, then give me muffalos in the beginning of my tribal start and drop pods for crashlanded.

I just feel so stupid because I can never reach the point in my progress of actually sending out a mission and I dont like that..

hoffmale

Some feedback on A17:

The good stuff:

• Animals feel really useful again (all of them, not only the hauling ones)!
  • The general difficulty increased quite a bit - playing on extreme feels extreme now!
  • Caravan quests are interesting - if you ever get to do them.
  • A lot of stuff was rebalanced, and mostly for the better.

The bad stuff:

• Rivers, the novelty map feature, are a bit underwhelming IMO. Playing a river map feels weird, if you want to settle near the river, you basically have to build a wall along its shore or deal with raids coming that way, but not settling near the river forces you quite a bit near the edge of the map, reducing reaction time if a raid comes from there. Maybe having fewer options where you can cross a river (or even walk in a large one!) could help with that...
  • Some jobs, like stonecutting or drug making, belong to different skills than indicated in the workbench menu. E.g. stonecutting (now belonging to construction) can still only be restricted on crafting skill levels, which is rather weird and confusing.
  • I feel like it's getting much harder to control your wealth now, especially early game. Trading caravans are unlikely to buy what your excess veggies or cloth, and if you're focusing on herding animals, they account for great values. I don't really like fighting against 14 man pirate raids on day ~12 with only minimal defenses with my 3 starting colonists just because my tamer got a bit lucky...

I know you've done a great job so far, and that this update was a big amount of work, but in some aspects (e.g. options 1 and 2 of "the bad ones") it just feels like A17 was released in a halfhearted state.

Funny trivia: I got a kind, abrasive wimp named Val in one game, and he got into a social fight after insulting another colonist while eating. I wonder what he said? "Pass me the salt, you gorgeous fluffy bunny?"

Dr. Z

QuoteAll pawns now have "head butt" attacks they can use if they're missing all other attacking body parts.

If anyone ever asks you whats RimWorld like, just tell them this was necessary.
Prasie the Squirrel!