Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mkok

is it just me, or did scythers get an race-car upgrade? I just opened an ancient ruin deep in the mountain, and those scythers raced to melee my pawns faster then I could say "thx cass"  :D

Ser Kitteh

Hey @Tynan, loving the new update, though I did find an issue that needs tuning:

The quest where a settlement asks for food is not the most intuitive. I had a settlement ask for 2000 Corn, I had them so I sent it via drop pod. The game says "resources lost due to being no Colonist on tile".

As you know, when you land on a tile, there is the "Complete Trade Deal" button. Which means that if you want to complete the quest, you need to fly your Colonist to the settlement tile, then send the food which means all 2k corn is on that tile, THEN press "Complete Trade Deal". I feel I shouldn't need to send said Colonist, and that sending 2000 corn should be sufficient enough.

tpudlik

Quote from: SpaceDorf on May 30, 2017, 02:18:50 PM
the anouncement it is now summer in the midst of decembary first threw me off, then I thought .. "southern hemisphere" soooo coool.

But the update notes state that,

Seasons are now arbitrary "quadrums" which cover 1/4 of the year and are the same on the whole planet.

So, is it the warm season on the northern hemisphere when it's the cold season on the sourthern (as on Earth)?  Or is it the cold season in the south when it's cold in the north?  The update notes make it sound like it's the latter, but @SpaceDorf's comment suggests it's the former.

I do hope it's the former, of course!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: tpudlik on June 03, 2017, 02:14:29 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on May 30, 2017, 02:18:50 PM
the anouncement it is now summer in the midst of decembary first threw me off, then I thought .. "southern hemisphere" soooo coool.
But the update notes state that,
Maybe, I remember reading the notes, but noticing something like that in game is still something different than having read about it.

Seasons are now arbitrary "quadrums" which cover 1/4 of the year and are the same on the whole planet.

I do hope it's the former, of course!

I am playing on the southern hemisphere right now ( new game, so I know for sure ) and it's Summer in the midst of Decembary
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Angiel

Hello,
well i guess the only thing that still bothers me about the game is the berserk/daze incidents they happen too often, there shld be a cooldown to them so that after a berserk incident doesn't happen to the same pawn over and over again.
I started a brand new colony with the latest fix from 2nd June.
Casandra rough normal crashland scenario.
in 1h gameplay, 11 days my colonists went berserk for like 7 or 8 times.
They are starving there is a heat wave and i want to make them hunt for food but i can't cuz one of my colonists went berserk i knocked him down then my hunter went berserk knocked him down, they got up the first guy went again berserk, i had a prisoner that went berserk 3 times since i had him, now i had a wanderer join so happy was i but he got incapacitated cuz a raid happened right after and they crossed paths, i have 2 incapacitated berserked ppl and 2 ppl to defend a raid hmm and both of them are bruised because of the berserkers and starving and having heatstroke, so bye bye new colony.
How are you supposed to handle these stuff am i really doing something wrong or is just the chance of getting berserk has been increased,
I think the mood system really needs more thinking done to it. especially after a raid when you need your ppl to be focused and on call.
After a raid i have always someone who is going berserk or on daze. no matter how good their mood was before he is getting downright pissed cuz of dirty/awful environment cuz of blood and then seen corpses etc. seriously you just won a freaking raid there is going to be gore everywhere the game doesn't let me magically clean everything in one sweep motion does it?
@Tynan i don't play with kill boxes, but lately it makes it impossible not to play with them. you want ppl not to use them well here are some of the reasons why ppl use them, cuz one it doesn't get your base dirty and  second your pawns don't see the dead bodies that often to get into berserk mode.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Angiel on June 03, 2017, 06:32:29 PM
there shld be a cooldown to them so that after a berserk incident doesn't happen to the same pawn over and over again.

There is; it's called Catharsis.

Keep an eye on your colonists' moods. If they're low enough for your colonists to go berserk, you're doing something wrong. In the case you describe, the problem is your colonists were starving. Starving is a huge hit to mood and running out of food should be avoided at all costs. The game will warn you on the right if a colonist has low enough mood to mental break, and also if you're low on food.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Stormfox

Quote from: Cimanyd on June 03, 2017, 11:08:28 PM
there shld be a cooldown to them so that after a berserk incident doesn't happen to the same pawn over and over again.

There is; it's called Catharsis.

Keep an eye on your colonists' moods. If they're low enough for your colonists to go berserk, you're doing something wrong. In the case you describe, the problem is your colonists were starving. Starving is a huge hit to mood and running out of food should be avoided at all costs. The game will warn you on the right if a colonist has low enough mood to mental break, and also if you're low on food.

One problem that has been reported for months and still not been fixed with that is the people go on mental breaks for AGES. And during that time, they neglect sleep and eating. This tends to end with the pawn in question collapsing and/or having huge mood debuffs afterwards that re-start the break spiral right again.

This even happens in otherwise well-developed colonies, when the initial mental break happens on someone with some bad mood trait that just got a divorce or something. This can be enough to shoot them into a break once, and after that, they are a case for the couch for the next half year or so.

DariusWolfe

A note on catharsis: It only happens if the pawn ends their mental break on their own. If it's interrupted with an arrest, they will never get the catharsis effect.

Regarding colonists collapsing due to exhaustion during a mental break; It seems really odd to me that this doesn't automatically end the mental break. I had a colonist (who I stupidly brought along though he was still going through Yayo Withdrawals) during an item-cache raid who went on a sad wander; I managed to deal with the cache while he was wandering, though it was a big pain in the ass to try to keep him out of the turret radii. Then he collapsed, while my colonists were bedding down, he woke up later, and continued to wander.

At the very least, a broke colonist who collapses should be allowed to be rescued to bed, and cared for like an injured colonist.

corestandeven

Hello,
well i guess the only thing that still bothers me about the game is the berserk/daze incidents they happen too often, there shld be a cooldown to them so that after a berserk incident doesn't happen to the same pawn over and over again.
I started a brand new colony with the latest fix from 2nd June.
Casandra rough normal crashland scenario.
in 1h gameplay, 11 days my colonists went berserk for like 7 or 8 times.
They are starving there is a heat wave and i want to make them hunt for food but i can't cuz one of my colonists went berserk i knocked him down then my hunter went berserk knocked him down, they got up the first guy went again berserk, i had a prisoner that went berserk 3 times since i had him, now i had a wanderer join so happy was i but he got incapacitated cuz a raid happened right after and they crossed paths, i have 2 incapacitated berserked ppl and 2 ppl to defend a raid hmm and both of them are bruised because of the berserkers and starving and having heatstroke, so bye bye new colony.
How are you supposed to handle these stuff am i really doing something wrong or is just the chance of getting berserk has been increased,
I think the mood system really needs more thinking done to it. especially after a raid when you need your ppl to be focused and on call.
After a raid i have always someone who is going berserk or on daze. no matter how good their mood was before he is getting downright pissed cuz of dirty/awful environment cuz of blood and then seen corpses etc. seriously you just won a freaking raid there is going to be gore everywhere the game doesn't let me magically clean everything in one sweep motion does it?
@Tynan i don't play with kill boxes, but lately it makes it impossible not to play with them. you want ppl not to use them well here are some of the reasons why ppl use them, cuz one it doesn't get your base dirty and  second your pawns don't see the dead bodies that often to get into berserk mode.

Agree, the mental breakdown happens much more often and lasts ages too. I had a pawn break for two days because he was 'sad'. He didn't eat, so had minor malnutrition, was attacked by a spider and did nothing to fend it off, then collapsed with exhaustion a few hours later.
I then had another pawn ill with a disease so had to put her in my medical bay. Before my doctor came to give her medicine to fight infection she broke because she was 'ill', got out of bed, and I couldnt treat her. She died of the infection because the daze went on again over 2 days and I could administer the drugs.

I agree some mental break downs mean you act irrationally to the detriment of your physical health, but this is stupid. I think the game should split between minor mental and major breaks, with minor breaks only being an inconvenience for a few hours – not days on end. 

Ironvos

The whole joy/mood/social system with it's inevitable mental breaks is one of the reasons i don't play the newer alphas anymore.
It mostly becomes a frustrating ordeal rather than an enjoyable experience, it's just not properly balanced and imo doesn't work within the current confines of the game.
In the past (pre A10) your colonists used to be a means to an end, the goal was to build up a colony. Nowadays the colonists seem to be the focus and the colony is just there to cater for them and keep them happy.
So i've basically gone back to playing Alpha 8 which imo was the last flawless release, playing with my own mod and some mods i still had or found on the forums and so far i had fun like i had in the old days.
Apart from game optimization and some quality of life tweaks (like self tending or AI pathfinding) i honestly can't say the game introduced anything of worth in the last two years. Animal breeding might be the only thing i miss when going back to A8 but it's not vital.

Limdood

I'll admit it is really annoying to work really hard to keep colonists in great spirits, with nice bedrooms, dining rooms, rec rooms, fine meals, plenty of sleep and joy time, and then see "Major break Risk" in red.

You get confused, then select the colonist, check needs, and see "rebuffed by Engie x3" "rebuffed by Tail" and "rebuffed by Jade x2" and then the colonist breaks.  And there is literally nothing you could have done to prevent is, since there was no previous bad relationship between them.

Of all the factors though, social is really the only one i get annoyed with as being unfair (and permanent pain, to a lesser degree) due to being out of my control.

DariusWolfe

In contrast to the above posters, I would not have picked up this game without the social system. It's flawed and frustrating as often as not, but without it, the game would lack a lot of color and feeling. I checked the game out in earlier iterations, and aside from the UI being confusing, the game simply didn't grab me like it did when I tried it again, after the social system was implemented.

TheMrMoMo

Not absolutely sure that this is new but I never noticed it before.

I just noticed that there is a new negative opinion called: "Killed colony animal" which has an impact of -5.
I find this new opinion really confusing if not outright stupid. All of my colonists eat Meat on a daily basis, so why is there a reason to look down on the person that kills the chickens?

People in real life aren't contempt of butchers either. I'd understand it if there were a Vegan trait or something, but there isn't. Even if this negative Opinion would only apply to non-farm type animals like dogs I'd still think it is stupid. If I were to sell the animals instead of culling the herd I'd loose out on as  I'd get meat and fur more valuable then the sell price. So having the people that take care of all animal related things be hated just because they also do the dirty duty of keeping the numbers in check is quite illogical. And nobody has a problem with eating a fine meal made with Husky meat. After all, no colony can feed an endlessly multiplying herd of animals.

I'd be really happy if someone could at least give me a logical explanation on why this opinion exists.

kenmtraveller

I agree, if that negative opinion applies to non pets and it's applicable to all pawns it seems wierd.  People who live on farms expect the animals to be killed.  Are you sure the person with the negative opinion wasn't Incapable of Violence or something?  It might be restricted to pawns with certain traits, that would make sense to me.

Limdood

it is not new, it does apply to all animals, not just bonded animals.

There is a (cheesy) workaround.  If you have a freezer which is too cold for animals to survive, you can stick them in a 1x1 animal zone in there.  They will die reasonably quickly, but will lose several body parts to frostbite.  Alternatively, if you don't need a FAST infusion of meat and are just trying to keep a steady stream of animal meat, you can assign the animals to a 1x1 zone with no food in or adjacent to it and let the animals starve...no lost body parts, but much slower.

At least the "harmed/killed" colony animal social penalty doesn't stack.