Map Generation Bug

Started by NachoToast, May 25, 2017, 01:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NachoToast

So I've noticed that when moving across the map using the scroll wheel you can move faster than the map loads in, resulting in flashing gray map edges when moving around.
-NachoToast

Tynan

Are those the shadows flashing in and out?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

NachoToast

No they aren't shadows, its just an un-generated piece of map. It's more visible when I click to view a colonist who is on the other side of the map. (I don't mean like the world/globe)
-NachoToast

Tynan

Can you post a screenshot? Nobody has ever said anything like this in 3 years.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

nccvoyager

@Tynan, I have seen this happen.
Appears to be something akin to issues with Occlusion Culling.
Sometimes, especially on less responsive machines, if you whipped the camera around really fast you could catch a glimpse of a few frames of nothingness before the occlusion system went "Oh, crap, he's looking this way!"
Then everything would pop into existence in front of you.

More or less the same thing I have seen.
If I am moving the camera across the map one way, then suddenly whip the camera another direction, I can sometimes catch a glimpse of the gray abyss for a few frames before things pop in.

Notably, I am running a system with a decades-past end of life Phenom X3 CPU and a low grade mainboard, so it has about as low a response time as you can imagine nowadays.
(Though, I have a Pentium 2 @566mHz in storage somewhere.)

I'll try to get a small video or something for you when I can, though I'm not sure when that will be as I'm nowhere near my desktop system at the moment.

NachoToast

Yup he's got it, I will try to get a screenshot.

EDIT: Couldn't get a screenshot because it happens too fast.
-NachoToast

ison

Okay, I see. I've managed to reproduce it. It looks like there's a 1 frame delay, barely noticeable.

nccvoyager

Yeah, it was only a couple frames here and there for me with my old system configuration. (Phenom X3.)
Most noticeable once the colony got large and the CPU struggled to calculate everything.

Have yet to see it happen with my new system configuration. (3rd Gen i7.)

If I was to guess, it is less a bug, and more a visual representation of lower-than-nominal performance.
Oh, and my apologies for never creating that video.
I honestly completely forgot I said I was going to do that.

ison