Changing config folder on Linux?

Started by Draconicrose, May 25, 2017, 06:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconicrose

I'm trying to keep separate "instances" for A16 and A17, which is easy as far as the mods folder is concerned but not so much when it comes to saves and configs. I did find a few tutorials that showed how to change the savefiles folder but on Windows. I need something similar for Linux and for the whole config folder if possible.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

milon

Changing the save folder is a commandline option that should work on Windows, Mac, and Linux.  But that's just save files, not the entire Config.

I'm not aware of any method to run separate instances like that.  You could either manually backup/restore things, or write a script to do that for you.  In the end, I doubt you'd even notice the slight delay in launching RimWorld with a script auto-managing your config stuff.

Draconicrose

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the confirmation.

harpo99999

in my windows machine, I have a15(several configurations), a16(several configurations) and a17, all individually accessable from shortcut pointing to a batch file that loads the folder for the game to save the saves(and configurations), the contents of the batch are

".\RimWorld1393Win.exe" -savedatafolder=SaveData

and yes the config files, game files and mod files are all in the same folder, and each setup/version has it's own folder where it lives

Draconicrose

So, by setting the save data folder your configs also live there? Not just the saves? That would be much easier.

milon

Oh, very interesting. I haven't played with that feature, and I was pretty sure it was saves only.

Good to know!

Draconicrose

For Googlers:
To change the Rimworld config files to another folder on Linux, you do have to create a launcher (or use the terminal but... lazy), using the file path of the Rimworld executable and use the following command:
./RimWorld1393Linux.x86_64 -savedatafolder=Configs

This will point Rimworld to the Configs folder in the Rimworld root folder. It does NOT work with the start_rimworld.sh script.
Thanks so much to harpo99999!