Getting attacked by bug hive

Started by ArtCollector, May 27, 2017, 07:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArtCollector

Hi all,

Is having your base getting attacked by a bug hive part of A17?

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

makkenhoff

From my limited understanding (I quit building in the mountains back in A16, infestations suck that much for me.), the bug hives are a lot more aggressive to attacks in A17 than A16 - that may include attacking walls if they are blocked by them.

Canute

You don't even need to settle in a mountain,
your map just need to contain some free space under mountain roof and an infection of bug hive can happen.

Panzer

Did you shoot at the bugs? They ll chase you for a little while before they give up and wander back to their hive, if the hive dies they stay aggressive, so watch out for cold temperatures, below -22C bug hives start to decay.

ymc

This is no l
Quote from: Panzer on May 27, 2017, 12:31:33 PM
Did you shoot at the bugs? They ll chase you for a little while before they give up and wander back to their hive, if the hive dies they stay aggressive, so watch out for cold temperatures, below -22C bug hives start to decay.

This is no longer true. Infestations no longer seem to have any range that they "give up" at, even if their hive is still alive. Once they're enraged, it is on. I've lost a 12-man colony to a cave-in that only killed one spelopede, as far away on the map as you could possibly be. They even went around the map killing all the colony animals after they'd downed all my colonists.

I had made a mined tunnel connected to a 6x6 mined out room, doored it off, and hoped for an infestation to set up a honey farm. I was sorely mistaken that it could be managed.

wyoian

I found that dramatically more paranoid setup for influencing spawn point and burning them out worked this patch. And by dramatically more paranoid i mean 3-4 Thick walls between your base and the bug spawn, Long hallways or even mazes to stall them, and try to have the fire be on furniture so that the bugs go to attack it and light themselves on fire. The bugs instant agro at 400 F. And if you get unlucky they may form a deathstack and try to dig into your base. So have a big enough fire (combined with hopefully focused rooms so that their area goes from 400 to 700 very rapidly before they break into your base. If they get in, its quite over as the heat will hurt you worse than them and they will not drop agro until your colony is mostly dead.

giltirn

Yeah bugs are much much harder in A17 - possibly the most difficult event that can happen. The only hope you have is that they have limited attention spans, so if you go behind a door they will attack it for a bit then give up and go back to their hive. I just survived an infestation with only wooden walls/doors, shortbows and one poor HMG by taking a couple of potshots then frantically repairing the doors as they try to get in. Rinse and repeat. It took a good 1/2 hour but I survived with only one cut. I doubt this would work with a large spawn however.

To be honest I would rather they were toned down some - perhaps by reducing the group aggro range such that if you catch a bug sufficiently far from the others you won't pull the whole lot when you attack them.

ArtCollector

The cool thing is that I was nowhere near the bugs, nor was I attacking them. I had a small metal cabin build on the other part of the map. They didn't spawn with an infestation, but as a part of an ancient danger. As I didn't want to get killed, I immediately formed a caravan and left and that seemed to cool them down. When I canceled the caravan again, they attacked again.

DariusWolfe

I had an infestation yesterday, a pair of megaspiders in one of my back bedrooms; Luckily it was unoccupied at the time. I was able to wall off one side, and tried to build a stone door before one of my retarded-ass colonists decided to wander into the room to clean (I zoned off the pets, forgot to zone off the colonists). I was barely able to get away, but the megaspider definitely lost interest. I built a small stockpile for wood in the hall outside the room, but then one of the spiders dug through a wall, so I couldn't safely set the fire; I had to have my colonist edge closer tossing molotovs; Hit the spider once (apparently they can put themselves out now?) but it took me a couple of tries to get the wood; It's hard to throw a molly in a 1-wide hallway. Finally got the wood started, and the spiders themselves, wandering through the fire, helped spread it. Had a couple colonists try to wander in (still hadn't reset the zones) and get flash-cooked, and a colonist ended up with heatstroke from being on the other side of the wall, but I managed to kill them, the hive, that sweet, sweet jelly, and then air out the colony with no serious injuries beyond a minor infection in a burn. It could have gone better, if I'd have smarter with zoning, but it also could have been a lot worse.

Oh, they did try to break down some walls, but I was ready with colonists to repair the walls as they tried to break them down. Maybe getting cooked slowed their digging down, I dunno.

WhatTheDuck

So you guys really want to say that bugs are stronger in A17 than A16....  :'(
The bugs were the reason why i stopped to play A16 without mods. I like the idea of the event but why are they so incredible strong?
They are able to spawn behind your defense and can catch you offguard.

8roads

shut the doors and they eventually leave.
and try not to piss them off like those caravan guards do...

kenmtraveller

Vents can be open and closed now.  I feel like there has to be a way to use this to one's advantage when dealing with infestations, but I haven't had a big one yet in A17.

DariusWolfe

I could have used vents to the outside and internal rooms to help control temperature in the rest of my base when I burned out the infestation, only with a reasonably temperate climate with year-round growing, I haven't much needed them, so I hadn't installed any yet. One of my colonists got heat stroke in his room, which was one wall separated from the infested section.

ArtCollector

I'm still not sure why they attacked. I checked it again but the hives were still intact so there was really no reason for them to attack. It was a pretty cold biome so maybe its related to that?

A few megascarabs died of cold during the charge, so it seems they already suffered some damage of the cold.

Maybe they now randomly attack when they get too cold?

Listen1

The bugs are quite strong now, I had to resort to burning half of my colony fire the last time I faced them off.

The feature that let turrents focus fire helps alot, Turrents inside the base are great for this situations