[1.3] [KV] Change Research Speed [ModSync RW]

Started by Kiame, May 26, 2017, 03:19:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiame

Change the speed of research both globally and per-save whenever you want.

In Mod Settings a new tab will be available, Modify Research Time with a single field input fields.

• Global Factor - The value all research times will be multiplied for New Games (this will override scenario research multipliers)
  • Current Game Factor - The value all research times will be multiplied for the Current Game (if no game is going these fields will be hidden)
  • Advance Tech Level - When the colony has advanced sufficiently the tech level will advance. At least one advanced technology has been research and all current/former tech levels have been research OR the sum total of researched technologies is greater than all current and former technologies plus one.
Press Apply in either case to make the change.

In Mod Settings a new tab will be available, Modify Research Time with a single field Factor.
A Factor of:

• 1 means the research times will be the same as the base game.
  • 5 means research will take five times longer to complete
  • 0.1 means research will take a tenth of the time to complete

This does not require a new game. Old saves can have their research speeds modified.

Steam

GitHub:
GitHub

Direct Download:

A17
B18
B19

Use ModSync RW to know if/when there's an update

Like my mods? Consider supporting me!

Crow_T

Hello, it appears this mod doesn't work in A17, I get
Mod rimworld-modifyresearchtime-20170528 has incorrectly formatted target version 'Unknown'. For the current version, write: <targetVersion>0.17.1557</targetVersion>
I changed the line in the "about" file but it didn't work.
The github zip download link seems to be wrong, I used the source link instead (this is a common occurrence with rimworld mods on github and the source folder usually works). Right-click and save as on the zip link tries to DL a file that is a bunch of numbers as opposed to the expected name.
I think this mod delivers a great tool for balancing the game, thanks for making it
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Kiame

I've been using it fine with A17 and it was recompiled with A17b. I'll double check that the direct download version is up to date.

Kiame

Just double checked and the direct download version is using <targetVersion>0.17.1557</targetVersion>. Please try downloading this again and verify no other versions of this are in the Mod directory. If you're using the Steam version that is up to date too, again verify there is not an old version in the Mod directory.

https://github.com/KiameV/rimworld-modifyresearchtime/releases/download/20170528/ChangeResearchSpeed.zip

This might also have to do with line endings (though i thought i have fixed this problem). Are you on Linux?

Crow_T

Thanks for the quick reply :) It could be a Linux thing It appears to be a Firefox thing, worked fine in Chrome. I love these small QoL mods that add alot of value
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Kiame

Kiame

Update:
(A17 & A18) Fixed an issue where if more than one New Game is created and the research factor is less than 0, research that should have been done was not completed.

Razzoriel

I know this is a little pushing, but can you make a version that simply halves research speed, without human input?

Kiame

Set the "Global factor" in the "Mod Settings->Change Research Time" to 0.5

You'll never have to touch it again

Jeimss

I would like to know, if this issu is normal.

I quit my current game with a Alt-F4 then reload it.
I have a research in progress that have more point researched than the "vanilla" standard.
Then the game upon loading it, give the research free despite that I have like half the research done.

Thanks for the information!

Kiame

Do you have the direct download version or the steam version?

I made an update yesterday for both A17 and A18 which I hope will fix the issue you're describing.

I will try it out on my side when I get home.

Kiame

Yep i did break something in my last update.

Research in progress should no longer complete when loading a saved game.

I discovered too that there's a case where previous researched techs will not be finished when loaded. If you run into this problem please enable debug mod (from the settings page) and in the research window, click on the research that should be done and select "Debug Insta-Finish".

Again I am really sorry for any trouble this causes!

The fix to these issues for both A17 and A18 have been uploaded to direct download and steam.

Kiame

I made one last adjustment to which will allow finished research to remain finished. There were some cases where modifying the factor in the middle of a game could cause problems.

The first time loading a save (saved using the previous version/s and loaded with the newest) there will be an error in the logs which can be ignored.

Thanks again for having patient with me!

Jeimss

Steam version.
Let me know when it will be fixed

Kiame

Is steam version broken?

If so a17 or 18 and how is it broken?

Thanks