Battlefield CPR

Started by NobleRambler, May 25, 2017, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NobleRambler

A suggestion as you start work toward A18:
For those of us who care for our pawns  ;)  how about the ability to perform battlefield CPR (leaving a pawn with the deceased performing CPR amid the battle) while a doctor rushes the paddles/resuscitator to revive (within a small time limit) to stabilize before transporting to a hospital bed? Some won't make it due to the danger of the remaining battle, but it would make for quite dramatic and realistic rescue missions, and a reason to keep spare organs on ice.

Moderator's edit (Calahan) - This was originally posted in the A17 feedback thread, but it is a suggestion and not feedback, so it was moved to the suggestions forum.

Lord Of Darkness

this would allow me to take more risks when raiders attack.

Boston

-sigh-

All CPR does is circulate blood.

If someone is dead from battle-injuries, doing CPR on them and attempting to resuscitate them won't do anything

minimurgle

Yup it's exactly as Boston said. CPR circulates blood and oxygen around the body to keep it alive. It's not meant to restart the heart. And defibrillators also don't restart the heart. They temporally stop it to bring it back to  a normal heartbeat.
Don't mind the questions. I'm probably just confused.

OFWG

In reality death is almost always more like being downed and then fading away than the instant off switch that the game has. I personally think OP's idea would be kind of fiddly but it shouldn't be dismissed as nonsensical (especially with a condescending -sigh-) :)
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Limdood

I'd much rather get the "save the colonists" effect by having almost EVERY pawn get downed and make the blood loss rate ramp up much faster.

The pawn with 17 gunshot wounds to the legs, arms, torso, and neck might not be dead, but there's no WAY you're getting him before he bleeds out in the 5 in-game minutes it would take him to die.

On the other hand, a sniper shot to the chest that pierces and kills a lung, but "reduces torso hp to 0" currently kills a pawn dead instantly, and it feels like that kind of injury should DEFINITELY be more treatable.

Obviously destroyed spine, brain, head, neck, or heart would still have to kill a pawn right away (i'd like liver to not be instant death....make having a liver on ice a bit MORE useful)

Britnoth

You can already treat pawns in the field by placing a sleeping spot and changing it to medical, though. :P

OFWG

Quote from: Britnoth on May 26, 2017, 07:51:49 PM
You can already treat pawns in the field by placing a sleeping spot and changing it to medical, though. :P

Not if they're dead. OP's suggestion is to be able to resuscitate the recently deceased.
Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 05:03:35 PM
I like how they saw the naked guy with no food and said, "what he needs is an SMG."

Britnoth

80% pain knocks the pawn unconscious. You can still rescue and treat them in the field.

Is this seriously a suggestion that dead pawns aren't really dead?  ::)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Britnoth on June 06, 2017, 05:45:28 AM
80% pain knocks the pawn unconscious. You can still rescue and treat them in the field.

Is this seriously a suggestion that dead pawns aren't really dead?  ::)

Well .. nobody stays dead in comics :-D ( except uncle Ben )

And my suggestion would also have been to use medical sleeping spots, in combination with no meds or a nearby stockpile them. This setup has saved many pawns of mine who would have not survived the battle.
It is also a good way for prolonged battles away from your base. Retreat wounded pawns, slap on some bandages, some food, drugs if needed, and get him back in line.
( also this is how non-combatants can be usefull in a fight without wearing a shield )

If I ponder this further .. if you can pop them a luci pill fast enough .. ( an ingame hour before brain death ) .. maybe you could revive them.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

If you're going to have defibrillation and CPR then you'll probably need a more accurate simulation of pawn hearts.

The reason why defibrillation doesn't work when a patient is flatline is because there's no rhythm that the shock can reinforce any more. In those cases, adrenaline is usually administered to attempt to re-assert a rhythm, but recovery is far less likely than in the cases where there was still some kind of heart activity.

Fregrant

Yeah, defibrilation of bullet-enriched body is quite pointless, unlike Hollywood movies.
https://www.quora.com/How-do-paramedics-restart-a-heart-Why-is-this-a-delicate-process

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Fregrant on June 06, 2017, 08:40:27 AM
Yeah, defibrilation of bullet-enriched body is quite pointless, unlike Hollywood movies.
https://www.quora.com/How-do-paramedics-restart-a-heart-Why-is-this-a-delicate-process

As a worst case ? Could this magnetize the bullets ?
Even depending on the material of the bullet we are running a current through something metallic ?

RemingtonRyder

Defibrillation is nothing like powering up an electromagnet.

SpaceDorf

I know .. I was not referring to that special case of shrapnel management.
I was thinking about sending a small, directed lightning bolt through a lump of meat.

But within this picture. If said lightning bolt passes through a small metal object embedded in the meat, could this small metal object be magnetized in a measurable way so it is attracted to other small pieces of metal nearby or not ?

I have no clue about the charge used in this kind of medical equipment. So explain away :)