Battlefield CPR

Started by NobleRambler, May 25, 2017, 05:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Nope.

Electromagnetism works because you send a current through a conductor which is coiled around a core. In order to move something, the current ideally needs to be constant.

A defibrillator delivers a pulse or set of pulses instead of a constant current, and there are no coils or cores.

Also, magnetic extraction of bullets isn't really as great an idea as you might think it is. Quite often, bullets fragment or lodge near blood vessels, which is why you need to first determine if they can even be removed safely, and then you're looking at delicate surgery rather than yanking them out the most direct route.

SpaceDorf

I never implied that removing bullets with electromagnets is a good idea.

I was curious about the worst case scenario of running an unknown ( to me ) amount of power through a person filled with an unknown amount of metal.

Also I was not referring to electromagnets at all.
I was referring to the property of some metals ( mostly Iron as I recall ) to become magnetized ( electrons being forced in a singular direction ) for a short amount of time after being exposed to a magnetic field or current running through them.
And bullets being made from all kinds of metal .. who knows ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

RemingtonRyder

As I said, defibrillators deliver a pulse or pulses. These pulses are fairly short, because the goal is not to cook the entire chest cavity with electricity, but rather to cause a particular reaction in the heart. ;)

Anyway, with the pulses being short and controlled, I doubt there's much time for magnetism to take hold, much less for a bunch of them to start attracting to each other.

SpaceDorf

You are no !!FUN!! at all :)

I officially admit I am tired and full of shit today ..

WHAT IF, .. a semi-conductive material ( flesh for example ) is interlaced with a highly conductive material ( maybe bullets )
would this then block the flow of the defibrilator pulse if the current was applied in the wrong direction ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kramoliun

i know nobody will answer, but just to point. CPR does revive people, it is to stimulate the hearth to restart again after cardiac arrest and keep the brain alive, or else medics, paramedics and lifeguards wouldnt administer it on clinically dead victims, it saves lives. defibrillators are to regulate the heartbeat, when it is beating but is too weak or irregular, a defibrillator or AED administers a shock to try to correct the heartbeat back to normal.
drugs are also administered to stimullate the heart and lungs, mouth to mouth and ambu bags provide the O2 to the lungs to keep the blood with oxigen.
so, yeah. cpr does revive people
Alea Jacta Est.

Kirby23590

Though i'm not sure if CPR would work in Rimworld's universe gameplay-wise.

Since after bringing them back up would mean that they are still bleeding to to death and might die from blood-loss.

Unless they were beaten by blunt weapons or knocked out cold, CPR would make sense, kinda...

I think i would go for Defibrillators or a Resurrector mech serum though. Since a simple shock and electricity to the heart to wake it while the guy is still unconscious will bring him back up of course. Before he bleeds to death.

CPR Works IRL, Gameplay-wise i don't know if that could counter bleeding to death. So i'm going with Defibrillators.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.