[A17] Resolution Issies with a17

Started by Nezbert, May 26, 2017, 07:39:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nezbert

Hello :)

I am trying to get the game to run with 3840x2160 resolution. Unfortunately the game does not let me change the resolution in any way, it always stays at 1280x720. This is what I have tried and what didnt work:

- Changing the resolution ingame in the settings menu. Tried with "fullscreen" option ticked and unticked
- Starting the game with command line parameters "-screen-height 3840 -screen-width 2160"
- Starting the game with command line parameters "-popupwindow" and "fullscreen" option unticked in the ingame settings
- Changing the resolution in the registry under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld by Ludeon Studios"
- veryfied integrity of game files in steam

Also tried the above with 1080p resolution with no succes. Any help appreciated :)

nccvoyager

First thing I would suggest trying is temporarily disabling Steam cloud sync for RimWorld, then attempting to make the changes again.

If the issue persists, a few questions to help with diagnosis.
Operating system? (Win7, Win8, Win10?)
Does your user account have administrator privileges?
Is RimWorld installed to the default Steam directory, or an alternate location?

Unfortunately, I am on the road and may not be able to provide more assistance myself today.
That being said, others may be able to provide assistance in my absence.
Best of luck, and I will check back when I can.

Nezbert

Thank you for the suggestions. Disabled sync, started with admin privileges, did not help unfortunately. OS is Win 10 and Rimworld is installed in the default steam directory. I remember that in a16 it was also not easy to keep it running in 4k but it was possible with some fiddling.

nccvoyager

Okay, so, looking around, the Unity engine seems to have a few quirks regarding UHD resolutions.
First, the Unity engine seems to only allow the native resolution that the monitor reports to the engine to be used as the maximum resolution.
(Many TVs and monitors, even UHD ones, send signals saying that their maximum resolution is 720p or 1080p.)
Second, the Unity engine only allows the current desktop resolution to be used as the maximum resolution.
(If your current desktop resolution is 1280 x 1024, it seems that Unity will select that automatically if you select a higher resolution.)
Third, the Unity engine detects the primary display signal and desktop resolution as the maximum available.
(If you have two monitors and the primary one is 720p while the secondary one is UHD, Unity will detect the maximum resolution as 720p.)

So, first, make sure your desktop resolution is set to the maximum resolution the monitor can display, and that the UHD monitor is the primary monitor.
If the issue is rectified, huzzah!
Though admittedly a little annoying.

Otherwise...
It is possible that the Unity engine is detecting the "native resolution" signal from the monitor/TV as being 720p.
Now, unfortunately, this workaround requires a third-party application, though it is small and came up clean for me.
Up to you whether or not to proceed though.

First, sourced the information from a Unity support thread:
https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/4k-not-working.417493/

Custom Resolution Utility here:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

You would need to create a custom "detailed" resolution that uses the maximum supported resolution of the UHD monitor, and then move that as far up the list as possible.
Instructions for the utility are found on the page, it would seem.

I wish you the best of luck, and if the issue is still not resolved, please do return.

(It is notable that a similar issue occurs with Mac OSX computers with a "Retina" display larger than 1080p. Though, the workaround for those is decidedly simpler.)

Tangent:
The Unity engine, running with DirectX 11, does not support "exclusive" fullscreen, though it does support "exclusive" fullscreen while running with DirectX 9.
Windows 10 does not support "exclusive" fullscreen mode for any program due to the way that application windows are rendered in Windows 10.

Nezbert

What an amazingly detailed answer - thank you very much.

Deactivated the 1080p laptop screen, making the 4k display the only and primary one. At first i thought it didnt work but after a reboot it works like a charm.

Thanks again :)

nccvoyager

Ah, no problem.
Glad I could help.
Enjoy the digital suffering!
;D

Calahan

Good to hear you've got the display issue sorted out Nezbert. And many thanks to you again nccvorager for helping someone with their tech issue.

I'll move this to support now as it's not a bug, plus others with the same issue might well find this thread useful.