[A17] Massive FPS drop on even small raids

Started by WR104, May 26, 2017, 09:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WR104

I've started getting a massive framerate drop on raids that don't even have more than 8 attackers (and yet on A16 it was fine with >30 attackers and on 3 Speed before reaching the colony).
At first I thought it was probably due to the number of mods I have installed, but I have done the same raid test again without mods active and happened to get the same framerate drop (often below a few frames per second regardless of speed)

There probably isn't a need for steps to reproduce this, as all I did was make a simple test colony on a Desert and force a raid with varying sizes.

[EDIT] I also found out that the same issue occurs when forcing a caravan to arrive. Simply having enough people in one spot is enough to cause my FPS to drop.

But I figured that not everyone might have this issue where the FPS simply drops like a rock, but since there probably wasn't a topic similar to this, might as well post it.

Calahan

Thank you for the bug report. Can you please post your log file (as an attachment. You may need to zip it if it's too large) from when after this issue occurred (in that vanilla test ideally). Details on where to find your log file can be found in the following thread https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=513.0

WR104

Here's the attachment.
Seems relatively empty as it's mainly starting up the game, create a new save with the default scenario, and build a small test colony.
A minute later I began sending a pirate raid and then a tribal raid (Especially tribal raids can lead to a severe 'rubber-banding' effect).
Once they were cleared I exited the game.

Unfortunately it didn't appear to throw any errors regarding A17's updated AI. It's frustrating when something like this happens and the game refuses to throw errors  :(

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Reinhark

I would like to report the same issue. My lag triggers at approx. 11 enemies on the map with new A17, normal speed.
(I took on 50 enemies x3 during A16 easily)

It also appears that, the lag is much powerful if they are further away from my base during the raid. if they are near my auto-turret range, the lag is mostly gone. Clearing the path of the enemies(I carved out the mountains) does seem to ease the issue a bit, so perhaps it is related to the distance of the target.

The lag persists if the enemy is downed. They have to be completely killed to remove the lag. (like downed mechanoids. even while they are downed, they still cause lag)

I would also do the reports if it wasn't for the 20 mods I am running with.

Edit: After further testing, I have discovered that with fresh game lag does not occur with raids. If you have been playing for 10 minutes however, you will get it. With or without mods. I think this may be a memory leak. sorry for misleading you.

WR104

Believe it or not, I end up with raid lag in as little as a minute.
That's about the time it takes for me to make a test colony with Dev Mode.
I then simply throw a 3000-point raid at it (simply for stress tests whenever a new Alpha is released, and if just one raid alone lags me, then I can't continue any further than that.)

I literally can't play the game until the issue is resolved, no matter what the log file says about it.

Mehni

I've heard reports over on reddit that auto-turrets are currently a big cause of lag.

Haven't used them in a while, but a quick test reveals that to be very true. Switching turrets on in the test setup below drops me from 60 to 9 FPS.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

ReZpawner

I have the same problem, but ONLY when the game is running on 2x or 3x speed. At 1x speed it runs smooth as ever.
Same goes for visiting merchants. 1x = smooth, anything higher and it's choppy and barely playable.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog