Suggestion for incorporating the player's role into game lore

Started by wavepilot, November 22, 2017, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavepilot

Please excuse me if this isn't a new suggestion, this is my personal headcanon for the player's role in Rimworld,
it helps explain some aspects of the game but also I was thinking there are a bunch of interesting ways this could be used in actual game mechanics.

Basically you are playing as the AI of the ship your colonists crashed from, drifting alone in space.
All colonists are equipped with implants allowing you to observe and communicate with them, but you have no direct influence on the world. Your job is just to help them achieve their goals based on your original mission. For example:
1. simplest goal, you are a transport ship on route somewhere else and you just need to help your starting colonists escape the planet as quickly as possible.
2. You are a corporate mining vessel and your slaves have been written off as a business loss, your job is to get as much profit out of them before they all die.
3. You are on a humanitarian mission, your goal is to recruit as many people as possible and bring peace and prosperity to the world.
etc etc.

One of my favourite things about Rimworld is all the situations where you lose control of your colonists, I like the idea of this becoming more of a factor in the game. There is a great game that does this called Fear Equation, where you're the driver of a train, sealed into the cabin, travelling around a post apocalyptic world rescuing people. You never meet any of the survivors and only communicate by sending orders to them through a tube. The core gimmick of the game is in managing the various factions of survivors that form as you fill the train. Essentially, if you do badly they will break down the door and murder you, but if you do too well they will start to idolise and worship you, which is almost as bad as they will go to war against any faction who doesn't show you enough respect. I'd love to see this kind of system in Rimworld. It could be as complex as a full faction/religion system or as simple as unhappy pawns refusing to follow orders or setting their own priorities.

Anyway I could go on, I think just about every system in the game could have this idea incorporated into them, even if it was just as lore and flavour text. I think it would really help give a feeling of being a part of this world and more connected to your colonists.