[A17] Absolutely MASSIVE memory leak

Started by Mnerxix, May 27, 2017, 06:32:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnerxix

With no mods, on Cassandra rough, 100% world,  325x325 map, the game eats 1MB/sec while paused, double that when on double-fast-forward.
Memory is also not released when quitting to main menu.
On a large map, this means you can only play for a few minutes before it either crashes/quits, or you try to save & discover that it can't due to being "out of memory" (in the 32-bit sense of the phrase).
On A16, I would play on 400x400 maps with no issues, so I assume this is new.
Aside from that, love the changes - thanks & keep up the great work!

Wishmaster

Same thing seems to happen here, yet I have about 20 mods.
Memory sometime goes higher than rimworld ever did with much more mods.

edit: I can confirm this grows every second, paused or not.

Tynan

I'm asking ison to look into this.

I've heard other reports of excessive memory usage and memory-related crashes too.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

ison

It seems that on a fresh map the memory usage increases slowly, but it gets freed after a minute or so. So it's really hard to tell if it's a memory leak or just normal GC behavior.

Could you please upload the savefile? 1MB/s seems pretty bad.

KageDragon

I've had this issue as well.
I've noticed one factor that might be worth looking at.

I usually use mountain tiles for my bases, and would have constantly run out of memory, once it got to 3 GB+...

Well, I tried a flat plains tile today and it hasn't crashed in hours, and the memory seems to be stable at 1.5 gb... (Crashes happened on vanilla RW and modded)

Update: Now I can't reproduce it anymore, reinstalled vid drivers, deleted configs, disabled\
reneabled mods, I'm not sure why it started working...

ison

@KageDragon how long does it take to get to 3 GB RAM usage? Could you please upload the savefile?

//edit: I'm especially interested in savefiles where the memory usage goes up while the game is paused.

Tynan

Should be addressed in A17.

We'll be working more on performance in future as well.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog