RimWorld > General Discussion

Introduce yourself!

(1/168) > >>

Tynan:
It's good to have some idea of who you're talking to. So, if they wish, new members of the forum can post here to introduce themselves.

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:
-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
-What's your favorite other game?
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

I shall start below!

Tynan:

Basics of me:

I started making paper games as a small child. At age 15 I started with digital game design by making levels for Unreal Tournament. Within a few years, I was doing contract level work for companies like Epic and Groove Games, and making non-Unreal indie games (which were all awful). In 2008 I graduated university and got a job as a designer at Irrational Games. I worked there on the BioShock PS3 DLC and on BioShock Infinite for four years. In February 2012, I left the company to return to Ottawa. Then I wrote a game design book called Designing Games and started working on game prototypes. The first four or five didn't work, until I tried a colony sim. That worked; that's what became RimWorld.

I created RimWorld :P As for this style of game, I played strategy games and management games since I was a little kid. It's always been there for me.

Deus Ex. Yep, still hasn't been matched in terms of world development and story.

Need to think of one!

I'm a frosted mini-wheats guy, usually. But I eat a ton of breakfast cereal (usually while coding, seeing as I work at home), so I have broad tastes in this department.

WolveNZ:

Well, Saw it while scrolling though on Indiedb, and thought to myself 'Hey, that looks cool!'
Ive always liked creating, planing and tactics (to a Point) that always made me stay away from the Hardcore games in each catagory, Interested on how Rimworld fits into it all!

Well, Right now playing though STALKER:CoP with MISERY 2.02, but I used to drift around the older DoW games, CoH when it came out , used to be a big CnC Junkie (Red Alert was my first modding experiance) and also floated around Crysis for awhile and ArmA Series

pretty much every time their is something that is unexpected I jumped, dosnt matter if its a Horror game, or if its just something that surprized me, I jump at least 6" off my chair ^^

never really ate Breakfast Cereal, but I do every once and awhile have weatbix, loaded up with butter and irradiated in a Microwave!

UsF:
This is UsF from Germany.  :)

Reddit. Plain and simple. Someone posted it in one of the subreddits that I follow and I got excited by its look and its description of features. I enjoy complex games or complex simulations where you have limited influence, but it can create a butterfly effect on the whole system.

I enjoy playing many games. The thing I like most is complex systems and trying to beat them. For example Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect or stressful ones like the Men of War series. My favorite game would probably be Men of War Assault Squad. I do not enjoy playing pure Roleplayinggames, because I am not a story focussed person. I like good mechanics.

Everytime I go into a competetive multiplayer game, I most likely will throw a rage-fit if the game feels unbalanced to me. That or I quietly ragequit. I think I ain't bad, but I always feel I want to be the best and it doesn't go well, since you can't be the best.  >:(

Meals start at lunch, not breakfast!

Hypolite:
Well, I should probably tell you first that Hypolite is not my real first name. I'm a French guy who got the chance to come to work in New-York thanks to her wife and I'm enjoying it right now. I've been fascinated by video game since my early childhood, and thanks to always being one game system generation late, I have that strong retro mindset where looks is less important than actual gameplay, even though I don't dislike beautiful good games.

My gaming tastes range from arcade racing to german simulation games, with RTS, platformers, tactics in the middle. You can find out more on my Steam profile. The games I like the least are games emphasizing individual skill, reflexes and/or a lot of thinking more than intuitive solutions. If I had to name my favorite studios, I'd say Bullfrog, Introversion Software and Arcen Games. I also like almost every production from Valve from the early days of Half-Life to the more recent Dota 2, but who doesn't?

I'm making game prototypes myself, 1 per year on average, always web-based since I'm a professional web developer by day. I'm also the administrator of a small french community talking about video games, books and movies, mostly sci-fi and fantasy.

I came across Rimworld thanks to JP Le Breton (also known as "vectorpoem") who works at Double Fine, another mighty fine game studio and whom I follow on Twitter. I'm looking forward helping as much as I can, being with the game or anything web-related (like this pesky encoding problem).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version