Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benjaminisar

Hi all!
I'm Benjamin. Mostly silent i forums, but very passionate about this game. I'm a long time Science Fiction fan and a long time fan of games with rich gameplay and simple graphics. Takes me back all those years... Also, I like RPGs, in particular Call of Cthulhu.

-What's your favorite other game?
FTL is one the best games to be released in the later years.
Realmz (Macintosh RPG) is one of my childhood favourites.
The Marathon Series is one of the best FPSs out there, storywise.
Lemmings, Super Mario Brothers 3 and of course Doom.
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I'd better not answer that.
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I'd go with chocolate crunch of some sorts, but I prefer protein-laden breakfast like ham and eggs, or french toast (with decent, fibrous bread) if I'm in a hurry.

Connor

Hey everyone!

I think I am one of the younger ones here, I'm 16 but turning 17 pretty soon. My parents are International teachers so we travel a lot living in places like Kuwait, Serbia, Burkina Faso, etc... I was born in New Zealand but was raised for the first 7 years of my life in Canada. I am really interested in film and hope to create a career out of it.

This is a short video I made about a month ago in Burkina Faso, check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p_0_u5ARbU

How I got introduced to Rimworld?
I was watching Prison Architect videos on Stuffpluss's channel and I saw a video about Rimworld, watched it and loved the game immediately.

Favourite other games?
I am a real fan of the Total War series haven't got my hands on Rome 2 yet but the original Rome was the first downloaded/CD game I ever played, the rest were all browser based. So Rome: Total War holds a special place in my heart ;D and is one of my favourite games.

Minecraft is up there too, I have spent countless hours digging for diamonds and crying when I accidentally fall in lava. I don't want to go all hipster on you :P but I've been playing minecraft since early beta so beta 1.3 or something like that basically before wolves.

Runescape played that for ages as a kid I got to like level 73 mining (which as an 8-year-old provided me with the feeling of accomplishment and the need to brag to friends :P)

Other games I love are Stronghold: Crusader (or for a bit more fun Stronghold: Crusader Extreme), Warlight its a free browser based 'risk' like game but the community makes its own maps and the level of content is ridiculous, any of the old Tycoon games like RCT3 or ZT, and also the classic version of Ace of Spades before Jagex go their hands on it  >:( (you can still get the classic AoS if you search for it)

Most embarrassing gaming related story?
I have done stupid things in games before but nothing truly embarrassing.

Best Cereal?
I haven't had cereal in like 3 years but when I lived in Canada my favourite was Honey Nut Cheerios  :D

m0n4rch911

1st of all. Great Game. Been playing for like 4 hours straight and not getting tired with it "That's a good sign for me as a gamer?. Randy Random rocks. I love to think that this is just the Alpha Stage. Why? Coz i already love it even though it's incomplete and i'm not showing any signs of getting tired of it. Good part is, it will get better.

What i love? Actually everything that's good. Bioshock FTW. God i love that game. When i read about someone whose involve w/ Bioshock created an indy game, it got my attention in which lead me here, Rimworld.

I play Prison Architect so that added the interest even more since i got addicted with that game too. But in general, i love any game that's good. Specially those w/ strategy and tactics. It's my 1st time joining a forum and i'm very choosy with games.

Fighting: Tekken. Platform: Megaman Shooter: Bioshock. Action-Adventure. Resident Evil "The old once" & Metal Gear. RPG: Final Fantasy "The old once" 7 to X-2. Simulation: Sim City and Tropico. Strategy "TowerDefense" DOTA. Strategy "Turn Based": Civilization V. Strategy "Realtime": Company of Heroes. And alot more, i guess it's safe to say that i played every genre there is. Skyrim, Borderlands, Fallout series, Far Cry, Metro, Minecraft, PORTAL :), Saints Row, Spore, Witcher, Tomb Raider, Torchlight, Xcom.

I think Indie games are getting interesting nowadays. Reus, Prison Architect, Cloudberry Kingdom and lots more.Rimworld. I see potential in this game and i really believe it will be great.

Most Embarassing. Dunno if this counts as embarassing since i stayed up all night to earn them. Eyebags :D from playing. Earned some with this game :D. Playing fast forward. Adrenaline rush :D. Better than coffee i give you that.

Favorite Cereal. Uhm. Sorry. I'm Asian. So Rice for me. I'm Filipino. Philippines.

From my posted pics. Hehehe. Just some some i've been doing w/ the game. I dream to make a Cemetery in this game. Big enough to house 300 holes :D. Not even thunderstorm can stop it from filling up.

Take note for those whose having problems w/ too many dead raiders thing. You can set an 8x5 Cemetery block and leave the middle empty. So when your full up, you can place 2 Blast Mines in it. Detonate and the holes will be empty by then.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Kaminczak

So very excited for this project.

I'm Steve, 39. Currently substitute teaching, but have spent almost 15 years teaching freshman composition at the university level. Also helped develop and administrate writing centers on a few campuses.

I cut my teeth on the Commodore 64. At 10, dad took me to check out a 'used computer' and when the guy loaded up Microprose's Gunship, I was sold. All-time favorite game--Wasteland. I was addicted to LPMuds long before Evercrack and periodically log in to keep my Batmud character active. These days, I've only really been enamored with roguelikes, namely DCSS and Cataclysm DDA. I've for some reason not given Dwarf Fortress a true stab at getting 'into.'

Rimworld really has set the groundwork to be something tremendous. I'm a huge fan of the 'background' story that becomes the narrative while the 'game' sets the groundwork. Again, I'm surprised DF has  eluded me thus far.

A semi-game-related embarrassing story is when the an admin at Texas A&M tasked me with meeting other Aggie administrators at a  meeting...in Second Life. I'd never completely been sold on SL as having tremendous educational potential (for writing/composition at least),  but at one point, non-techie profs were buying the snake oil--in a big way. So silly me, I spent a few bucks and showed up at the meeting using a perfect avatar of Pooh's Piglet. I literally floated into an academic regalia at the designated time with my handful of balloons.. Seated at a table were several A&M bigwigs, all dressed to the nines--crisp maroon suits and ties. I was one-part flabbergasted  and all-parts mortified that I'd shown to represent my unit as a 10-inch pig. Colorful balloons in one hand, one solo dandelion in the other. Ugh.

ub3rmike

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

I'm Mike, hailing originally from the Bay Area of California. I'm 23 and a freshman undergrad at Princeton University. I plan on studying electrical engineering so long as I can keep my head above the water in the engineering prerequisite courses. I had a late start because I ended up doing 5 years in the Marine Corps as a close air support controller, martial arts instructor, and operational developmental team member for digital command and control systems, finally leaving active service as a sergeant.

RimWorld caught my eye when I saw a few people stream it on twitch.tv. I used to play a lot of COD UO, Red Orchestra, and BF3, but between the military and the rigorous course load at Princeton, I've started to look into more indie/roguelike games in order to make the most of the limited play time I get. I watch a lot of Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica so RimWorld's setting just seemed right up my alley.

In addition to playing video games, I'm a crossfitter and a firearms aficionado.

I'm the 6th person standing up from the left.

And here's a younger, less experienced me standing on the right at a Marine Corps Birthday Ball:

jesus_h_pizza

Hey, I'm jesus_h_pizza! I've had this screenname in some form across forums and games for years, used as a once temporary account name back in the days of marathoning games in my friend's basement.

I live on the Northwest Coast in the US, enjoy beer, good food and cooking, gaming (of course) and hanging out with my cats and girlfriend on lazy days.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I recently discovered kickstarter, and found this trawling for more games to support. I've always had an itch to scratch since "Stronghold" for sim building with action elements. The concept looked solid, and gameplay(!) at the funding stage sold me.
Oh man, this question... Too many. I love MML, Minecraft, SotC, and many current and classic titles. I play most genres and a mixture of indie and AAA titles.
That's difficult to say. I do still jump every time my tool breaks in Minecraft. EVERY. TIME.
Suffice to say, my cereal cabinet has plenty of kid choices. I don't have kids.

W1Z25

<--- me in the pic
im W1Z and im 24 and i was drawn to this game from a youtuber i love to watch (Scott Manley)

graylobo

Gray Lobo real name jonathan craig
from tallahassee,fl,usa
i drive a trcuk for a living and enjoy it. ^^

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general? to timworld i was just browsing around on kickstarter for any new games i might fance sall it and sead yes ill have that. this stile of game is a bit harder as the only thing neerly like it i think is prisson archect witch is also a newer game.

-What's your favorite other game? my other favret game in develoment is star citizen, x3 is proibly the other one im playing ATM

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story? i kinda went a bit mad on minecraft and stole all my friends oil and became the servers oil barren... if you had the black stuff i had a mine on youre door step and took it all for no other reason then to have it in my vats... MURICA!!!

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? cocoa puffs and anyone who anser difrently should be shot!

air805ronin

Hi! I'm Ben.  I used to be in the Air Force (Tech Control, circuit gods!) but about 5 years ago left that job and took a job in Iowa.  Now I'm a Systems Engineer for a major trucking company.

Youtuber Scott Manley. Long story short, I play KSP and he is my favorite KSP youtuber.  He does little vids occasionally on games I've never heard of.  I play a bit of Dwarf Fortress, but not often because I find its interface and concepts a little overly burdensome.  Seeing this space colony dwarf fortress-esque game with bandit raids and strange squirrel creatures peaked my interest.

Almost certainly Kerbal Space Program.

Back in college I wound up getting absolutely hooked on Halo, and was always going to LAN parties and hooking up 4 xboxes to play 8 on 8 matches.  I was playing probably 6-7 hours of halo a day.  Turns out girlfriends don't like that very much and she very publically dumped me in the dining hall in front of about 350 students, screaming about how much Halo sucks.  Interestingly, met a girl who enjoyed playing halo because of that screaming she did.

Frosted flakes with a glass of homebrewed beer on the side.

Leird

Quick Bio: Name Henrik, Danish, 30 years of age, 31 in a 6 weeks, Tall (6'7'' or 204cm), and 100% nerd.

I learned about Rimworld on RPS, and been following it since then.
I've always been a strategy and RPG games nerd, been playing them since the good old Amiga 500 day, just to rattle off a few of the games i've played, Dune, Dune 2 (still an awesome game), the Europa Universalis series 1 to 4, Hearts of Iron series, 1 to 3, Victoria 1 and 2, Crusader Kings 1 and 2 (yeah, pretty big fan of paradox interactive), C&C Redalert, Planescape: Torment, BG1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, the Stronghold series, DF, Civilization (all of them pretty much) and the list goes on and on and....

I think my favorite games so far are - Dune 2 (which really got me into strategy games), Planescape: Torment for the awesome story, Baldurs Gate 2 and Europa Universalis 3. But there's always room for another game on the list.

Ehhh, don't really have any... I'm awesome like that :p

Don't really eat breakfast cereals... But do like some oatmeal every once in a while.

GJames

Hi, I'm James. I'm from the UK and am currently living in Cornwall; the place that all the tourists come to because it doesn't rain as much as the rest of England...

Been playing console games for a while, but I have only recently discovered PC games, starting with Kerbal Space Program. As a result of playing KSP, I subbed to Scott Manley on the YouTubes. A few days back he did a video featuring RimWorld, and I was pretty much sold instantly.

10 minutes later I had backed the Kickstarter and was watching the rest of the video. Looking forward to getting my hands on the pre-alpha in a few weeks, the game is showing a lot of promise!  ;D

Chicken Breast

Hey! I'm Saint, been playing games since I was old enough to hold a controller. My grandma literally taught me how to play games, she actually beat my copy of Final Fantasy 8 before I did! I just got this game a few days ago and have completely put down Pokemon for a bit just to focus on this! I really like this game and its style, and the way the framework all goes together and makes everything happen.

I can't wait for the update but it will take a while even with this before I get bored even a bit! I love Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress both, and have done well in each, as well as this one! As far as questions, I will only answer with my opinion on breakfast cereal, and that is to say that I agree with Tynan on the Frosted Mini Chex, those are amazing.

Good to be here though! I will be sharing my stories with you about how my colonies are doing. I currently have two that I switch between. One on regular Cassandra, and one on Tough! The Tough one is actually doing well, to my surprise, but I am almost 25+ cycles in on the other one. I've had some great amounts of luck in this game, both amazingly bad and good, and I'm sure they will make you laugh as hard as I did.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone!

Sig by Me!

StarDruid

I'm an older gamer and anime fan. Been gaming since the days of the first Nintendo and Atari etc. Same with anime, been a anime fan since the days when you sent a VHS tape to a Fansub group and they sent you the show recorded on it back (though never did it myself). Been modding and and editing games forever, and run two website of my own. I'm also Jack of all trades and master on none as well. Can do about anything from baking a cake from scratch to fixing a Car or PC but not a master by any means of those skill sets.

And yes I have a Video Game and Anime addiction (My full 6 TB of hard drive space will attest to that), and no I don't see it as a problem.

As to the questions:
Had a guildmate post about the game about 6 hours before the kickstarter end and drop 20 buck. Been watch Youtube of people playing the pre-alpha all day since. Been playing games like this for a while, Such as Towns, and similar style games like Black and White 2 etc.

My favorite other game.. got a lot, most I've been playing for 15+ years. Stars! from the Windows 3.11 days (still play it in a WinXP VM), Total Annihilation, All the Quake games, Minecrack er I mean Minecraft, Ragnarok Online... hell here a screen shot of my desktop (Warn: Those with OCD should not look as this image as it will cause mental stress or breakage): http://gentlerainofserenity.com/images/CurrentDecktopNew.jpg. Actual just a tiny portion of the games I own, my start Menu (use a program to revert it to windows 98 style) is worse. Steam says I one 132, I know I own at least 2 or 3 (maybe 4x) times that outside of steam.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story.....None that I can think of right off my head except the few time I've blown up or almost blown up my base in Various minecraft mods because of stupid wiring or plumbing issues. Seem Hot Dry boiler don't like water, and 32volt machines don't like 2048 volts. Or the one time with a Particle accelerator that I just happen to forget to complete before turning it on.... At least it was a nice explosion. Or the few times I through pin but not the grenade in Minecraft and Planetside 2....... Okay so there a quite a few.

Cereal....hmm Bran Flakes or Corn Chex

Thubin

Hey everyone! I found this game about two days before the KS ended and was lucky enough to be able to back it before it closed. I had some time this morning, so I thought I'd be a good little oaf and join. Really looking forward to getting to play!

I saw Scott Manley's YouTube LP and thought RimWorld looked really sweet. Then watched a bunch more LPs before realizing most of them didn't know what they were doing. I thought I could do better, probably because I'm a control freak lol

At the moment? Probably KSP or GTA 5.... though working full time and doing all those pesky adult things doesn't leave me with as much time to play as when I was younger.

I don't know if it's "most embarrassing' more than a funny twist, but when I showed my GF KSP. I was demonstrating all the cool stuff you can do, where you can go, what you can build etc. and she asked "do they explode?" That's all she cares about, seeing explosions lol

I typically don't eat breakfast since my work day starts so early. Besides, breakfast cereal is just the way for the Man to keep you down.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

EarthyTurtle

Hello All, I'm Tinned and sometimes I'm mistaken for an Abominable Artificial Intelligence. :3

I found Rimworld through LP's done by Mathas Games. To be honest I've never actually played a game similar to Rimworld so I'm eager to try this when it releases. Before now I've been a big fan of Guns of Icarus. Well I mean I still am, it's no doubt that Moba games captivate me with their pvp and coop play. Guns of Icarus is just even more detailed.
Speaking of which, bring up a funny moment playing GOI. I end up piloting the ship because our captain felt it necessary to go off and repair the guns. Anyways I take the ship into a combat situation and set the ship on a collision course with this Galleon (we're flying a ramming pyramidion so we're all set for this). But just at the last second someone calls over the voip chat "dude we're about to ram our ally! Who's piloting!?" I don't think I've ever jumped over the side of the ship faster than that moment... It still wasn't fast enough though.

Questions aside...

and hope to talk to you all soon. :D