Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Hello there!

I am Percy from Percyland... I meant the Holy Land... and as everyone knows the Holy Land is Romania... and I can say that because no one really knows where it is :o.... it's like Atlantis.... but with a more communist feel.

Now that aside, I must admit that the way I got introduced to Rimworld was by a friend, who sent me his copy to play test, since I never pay more that 10 euro for a game without testing it out first. After he gave it to me, I decided to play for an hour and see how it goes. After 10 hours of playing without as much as blinking an eye, Rimworld became a must buy.

It is amazing how much a pre-alpha game can be so addictive to play. So now after giving my support, please continue the great work you are doing! This is truly a pearl of a game.

Percy out.

Nefisa

Quote from: Col_Jessep on November 09, 2013, 04:23:59 PM
I found his game through Youtube, specifically Scott Manley, read the FAQs and joined the party.

Exactly the same for me... and now to load up for the first time!
<Signature goes here>

RaetacRages

Hello all I am Raetac of the RaetacRages Youtube channel.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
A few weeks ago one of my my subscribers told me to check out the Kickstarter and I was sold instantly. So here I am

-What's your favorite other game?
All time would the original "The Settlers", I wasted days in that game and developed my love for RTS building/managing games. Settles 2 was pretty good as well, Settlers 3 jumped the shark a bit so I lost interest. Master of Orion (1+2) were pretty big with me back in the day along with Master of Magic.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Playing Dead Space, stomping on all the boxes for loot when I found a booby trapped one which scared the hell out of me.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Pancakes, bacon and eggs

So with the introductions done, I'll head on over to the video forum later and hits some links up of may gameplay I've put up on my channel..

Till Next Time
Gamer and Youtuber http://www.youtube.com/user/RaetacRages
Playing and recording great games like CastleStory, Timber and Stone, Rimworld and Spacebase DF-9

Mr_Jared

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Well, to RimWorld, I was looking to find some places on kickstarter to see what was good at the time, just recently coming off of 7 days to die, and i came along this early in my search and put it aside to read later as I browsed, and when i looked into this, i wanted to see it though. However, I missed the kickstarter and resorted to buying the game off the website here, and let me tell you i am not disappointed. As for the style, lets just say the dwarfs are not to kind to me effing up their home a few times due to my incompetence.
To be honest I can not pin myself to 1 game because I love most games, they are fun and help pass the time, but if I had to pick at least one, id have to pick LOZ A link to the past, one i absolutely love
Playing a online match of GTA V and forgetting that when someone else is in a car the enter controls flip around, followed by at least 10 minutes of pulling people out of cars trying to get in the passenger side
waffles loaded with the works, because breakfast aint breakfast without loads of butter and syrup
Now with 20% more mudkips

Bizz Keryear

Hi, I play games since the early 80th, the 1st ones where arcade games like pacman and spaceinvaders or asteroids which where quite new as far as I remember.
My first real computer was a C-3+4 (little brother of C16). Soon followed a C64 (original design) and some time after a Amiga 500. Shortly after that my next was a 386SX (so basically a 286).
I really like gaming and my collection might have exceeded 10.000 games long ago (I kinda have lost count) and I really suck at it (playing games). Therefore I have achieved the art of cheating (or rebalancing as I call it). Even though I am still unable to complete some games (even if I use ultimate cheats ... e.g. Mechwarrior II ... dunno I think it was the original one ... in the final mission you have to use your jumpjets to jump into a ship ... never made that, even if unlimited jets, god mode and all. Another example: An C64 RPG [was part of a monthly C64 magazine, which was entirely on a 5 1/4 disk {mailman loved to fold those, the recipient  however not} I think it was a local production so you might not have heard of it even if I could remember the name] the final level was 20 and while my friends completed it around being level 10 I still could do it with level 20, however it wasn't my incapability then but sheer bad luck, I even had a friend over who could not believe it, after watching me for failing some hours, he said "there must be something wrong with your game, everything you are doing is correct but you are still not done. let me have a try" and he complete it only seconds after.)

I totally love KSP but after almost about 1000h of playing the game it became kind of boring. I also play minecraft and have got a bunch of games which tried to get the concept to next level but they all suck compared to the original (the are quite good, but not as minecraft is, they all still alpha, though. So there is still space for improvement).

I even play things like sleeping dogs but thanks to circumstance that my reactions are slower than a snail on Valium I have reduced the speed of the game to less than the half.

There are a few games I consider as too short. Like "Papa and Yo" an amazing facinating world but over too soon  (5h and I took my time) . And "Brothers. Tale of two sons" (since I hadn't any difficulties to complete it I think it might be boring for other players) Its funny and the world is beautiful but I still thought I was playing the intro. As the 2nd brother suddenly died. Less than 3h and it was over.

Most embarrassing was: I bought a game on steam and it "expired" (removed out of steam shop, and can't be downloaded anymore) before I even had it installed it once...

I program a very little myself, but nothing which is far more complicated than a "hello world" And php, python, javascript and lua only.

I saw a video about rimworld on ScottManley (who stole my fun of the last KSP update [since he is too good... ])

My first impression on Rimworld is:

• quite fun
  • a lot of potential
    even though its still a little too alpha yet (you literally feel the the loose ends everywhere)
  • Phoebe Friendly was a bit too relaxed (becomes boring, maybe other ways to get it interesting?)
    while chill Callie classic was still too demanding for me.

Merry76

Hi, I am Merry76 - dont let the name fool you, I am not as merry as I was when I took up the name in what must have been around 2000. I do have some rather dark phases (as we all do as we get older) but I stuck with the name, and dont change it according to my moods (Grumpy76 would sound sort of ok at times though). My birthdate is still 1976, which makes me kind of an old fart (Gaming wise. I have played alongside others that are well above 60 - that makes me the small chick, eh?).

I found Rimworlds Kickstarter on the Gnomoria Forums (I am Merry76 there too). I spent WAY too much time on Gnomoria and its forums, which I discovered in late 2012, when it hit GreenLight (but wasnt yet greenlit) on Steam. Of course I have played my share of games, migrating from Jump and Run games in my youth to less twitch skill based games as my twitch skill started to detoriate. So the progression from reaction to thinking games was rather smooth. I was quite fond of Dungeon Keeper, Evil Genius and Startopia, so that laid the foundation in my "DF like games" habit. I couldnt get into DF myself - the UI kept me away despite its fans telling me constantly that "you get used to it".

My favourite other game is Gnomoria (hehe, who would have thought), a game akin to Rimworld (or the other way around, as both play homage to DF) yet different enough so they do not actually cannibalize eachother.

I once had sex on a WoW Raid (Vanilla WoW, Molten Core) playing a healer druid. We still won the fight, and it wasnt as fun as I thought it would be.

Weetabix minis with fruits and nuts. Sounds more healthy than it actually is (way too much sugar in it still), but holds me afloat half a day even if I go to the gym during lunch (and only get a protein shake as actual lunch).

DarkThug

-What introduced you to RimWorld?
I was introduced to RimWorld thank to spacesector.com.

-What introduced you to this style of game in general?
If by this kind of game, you meant Dwarf fortress-like game. It is Dwarf Fortress. What introduced me to Dwarf Fortress ? shame I forgot (real shame)

I play wide variety of game so it is hard to pick one.
If I got to pick a favorite genre, it would be 4X game.
If I got to pick a favorite 4X game, It would be Civilization IV due to its accessibility.
There are other more complex 4X (or simulation game) that I really love. Like Dwarf Fortress or Distant world, however these games need a lot of concentrate and commitment. I need to check for new update, learn new mechanic, relearn the old one. Unlike Civ IV where I can pick it whenever I like. In this regard, I think Rimworld which is simplified DF look very promising.

-What's your favorite game publisher?
Currently, My favorite publisher would be Paradox interactive. I love all their grand strategy game. They also publish other great indie game like Mount&Blade, Magika, Majesty 2. They really have an eye for good game.

Thai people don't eat cereal, period.

Hmm? oh? yes, I am Thai.

NazTaiL

==Wandering on kickstarter then stumble on it!

==All!! The best...hum.. : Rogue spear, diablo, thief, minecraft, FTL, Legend of Grimrock, Portal, Resident evil (2 and 4), Zelda (1 and 3).

==Losing a 20h+ game savefile!!!

==Mini-wheats lol

=====
I'm Jonathan, I love games since pong. I always wanted to create somes but never had the chance. I started coding in 2011 and release my first game:No Waste (a small space/strategy). When I discovered Minecraft it introduce me to the world of the indie games. Since that day, I do much prefer playing games made by those smaller studios. There are made with more passion. www.naztail.com
Rimworld for the win! ;D

hugues

Hey there, i'm so happy to join the community cause i spent almost 20 hours on the last two days playing rimworld.

A friend who backed it on KS. I played a lot "Theme" games (Theme Hospital, Theme Park..), Simcity, Dungeon Keeper and more recently FTL.

Stalker, Valve's Games, Monaco, FTL, FEZ... when getting older, 28 now, i have a preference for indie games rather than AAA franchise.

Throwing a computer during lan parties when i was playing competitive.

As French i only eat french bread : )

I'm an IA for web industry and currently working in automotive industry and I'm playing on a mac (mbp late 2011).

lazerlight

Basics of me:

Hi, my name is Thomas. I am a human being from planet earth. First I thought I'd wait for RimWorld to release because I have a rather strict rule of not purchasing unfinished games or preordering. Then I decided I'd help kickstart it anyway and just watch the progress till it's mostly done before playing. Then I decided to try the pre-alpha anyway. It's pretty cool and promising, though far from finished. Now I think I want to help if I can. I have absolutely no experience in computer programming or illustration. I have some experience in board game design however and I'm pretty good with game mechanics. I also speak both English and German fluently and I have been to interpreter's school for 4 years with a focus on translation.

I've always enjoyed watching other people play Dwarf Fortress (or more correctly: Slaves of Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress :P) and some similar games because of the stories that develop. I discovered RimWorld on Quill18's youtube channel and found it unique enough to keep watching it's progress.

It's hard to narrow down, so I'll just name a few: Civilization V, Half-Life 1, XCom Ufo Defense, FTL, Frontier: Elite 2, Torchlight

Gaming is not embarrassing

I very rarely eat breakfast cereal, but when I do I either like flakes with nuts or something very sugary.

Nirolosa

Quill 18's LP of the kickstarter ed.

-What introduced you to this style of game in general?
You see, we live in a country where getting 2mb/s internet is considered to be pretty good. Some times our internet goes utterly belly up due to the fault in the main line that gets dosed with water for months every winter. This caused me to look for games that were offline but still able to give me/us hours of amusement.

The Binding of Issac, There Came an Echo (not yet released), Prison Architect and Civ 5 are all games that save the title of favorite right now.

-What's your favorite game publisher?
THQ was my favourite for a fairly long time but these days it's harder to say. Been supporting a lot of Indie titles lately due to years of being burnt over and over by companies like EA or Activision-Blizzard.

I eat breakfast, not cereal :P
I believe in magic because it's the only way to explain how fitted sheets get folded.

Semmy

Welcome to the forums everybody enjoy your stay.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Bob Buddha

YouTube and reviewers like Scott Manley and EnterElysium  This video was the first I watched.
-What's your favorite other game(s)?
Kerbal Space Program, Command and Conquer: Tiberium Alliances (web), XCOM: Enemy Unknown
World of Warcraft.  Being loot-master and giving the ultra-rare epic warlock item to the wrong guy/class.  (Customer support fixed it later)
Honey Nut Cheerios

Skeletor_101

Hello, my name is Dashiell, i'm from California. i'm currently trying to get a degree in project management (game design focus). My dream goal is to one day work at Valve.
I was introduced to rim world thanks to Kickstarter, and i have always been interested in this style of game, but most of them are a bit overwhelming to get into or they have TERRIBLE UI (Dwarf Fortress).
my favorite games are: Half life series, The Witcher series, Dota 2, and Walking Dead.
Red Dead Redemption. I was trying to kill a fox for about 15 min. it went down a hill in the open so i got off to shoot it when a bear came and pushed me down the hill. i thought i was dead, but i wasn't i somehow managed to survive. the bear runs at a 90 degree angle down the cliff to fight me, and to prove a point and make it fair i decided to only use my knife. We fought for about 2 min when another bear showed up and and i fought him to. killed them both as i'm about to skin the 2nd bear a 3rd bear comes up and pushes me into the river i'm standing next to, and i drown.....
Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

Slev

Hello, everyone.

A friend shared the Kickstarter link on Facebook.
-What's your favorite other game(s)?
In recent times; FTL, Super Hot and the TellTale Walking Dead game. Fond memories, Civilisation II and Knights of the Old Republic.
Games I have given up on because I was too embarrassingly bad at them include Bastion and Lego Indiana Jones for the Wii.
I mostly eat bran flakes or porridge, because I am apparently far too sober for my own good.