Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasonCerulean

Basics of me:

Hey there my names Elmo, but you can just call me Mason. I am a 3-D animation student at Lifeway College (in New Zealand)
I love to sculpt clay, make digital art and animate.

I don't really get into many games these days but occasionally i find a really good one and kinda play it to death XD 

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Basically saw others in my Computer lab playing it and thought "that looks interesting" so i looked into it and got it! :D

-What's your favorite other game?
Hmm, I would have to say indie games are were i gravitate to at the moment, one of which being Don't starve and anything else with game mechanics that make you think instead of games that say "ohhh shoot that thing" -_-

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I can not play thriller/ horror games at all, one sound or shadow and i freak the hell out XD

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Nutri-grain by far in my opinion, loved it as a kid still love it now. :)

Splinterbee

Sup! I'm splinterbee and i am a big fan of rimworld. I first discovered it by watching gamersdissent. My favourite type of games are sandbox colony builders which is exactly what rimworld brings. Can't wait to see the progression of the game 8)
Video games, are pretty good

DanGio

Hi !

So... I play RimWorld since last november, as Quill18 uploaded Let's play videos. At this time, I was mainly playing Civilization V and Minecraft. Beyond that, I play occasionally games of a wide range styles, but almost no FPS, and no games that require reflexes (sport, drive...). So yeah I like the kind of games like RimWorld, where you can pause, think, and react then.

My longest answer would be for the "breakfast" issue. As I work in music, I've got a weird week schedule. So wednesday morning, big day waiting... I get there early, to take a croissant and a chocolate bun in a bakery, then I eat them in a café with an espresso, and my favorite satiric weekly (out wednesday) magazine (which I don't eat). Seriously, this is the best.

Oh, yeah, I'm french :)

Jaysyn

Hey there, I'm Jaysyn & I'm a drafter & GIS analyst by trade.  I helped Kickstart RimWorld. (Wasn't there supposed to be a forum badge or something?)

I've been playing PC games since my parents bought our first Packard Bell PC back in 1994 & before that would play them every chance I got at my cousins or friends houses.  We played a lot of the SSI Gold Box Games.  I've also been modding games off & on since that time as well, starting with Doom, later Unlimited Adventures, Baldur's Gate, Galactic Civilizations, Neverwinter Nights, the list goes on.

My favorite game of all time is Planescape: Torment with Civ IV, Baldur's Gate, Master of Magic & the Fallout series following behind.  As for newerish games, I'm currently playing thru Baldur's Gate: Reloaded as well as Starbound with my kids.

I can't really think of my most embarrassing gaming moment, but it probably involved the NWN server (Athas Reborn) I used to host.

Not a big fan of breakfast cereals since they are so unhealthy, but when I was younger I really liked Peanut Butter Captain Crunch.  These days when I do have cold cereal it's usually Raisin Nut Bran.

Jaysyn

Tarrke

Hi there, I'm Tarrke and I just bought a copy of this incredible game.

I've been playing videogame since my childhood and I really enjoy that kind of sandbox games where I can spend hours and days just watching my peoples doing stuff. I found this one in a french video gamimg publication.

My favorite game, arsh... Of all times, it may be Chrono Trigger but really, only one ?

My most embarrasing videogaming moment ? Well one day I just catch a call from work asking for news. I told them it was saturday so I stay home and they remind me that it really was tuesday in fact...

I'm not a cereal eater, the best breakfast is ham and cheese between two slices of bread freshly cooked.

praguepride

Kickstarter / Game blogs about amazing upcoming kickstarter projects

Crusader Kings 2

Might not be most embarassing but a recent one was in a game of Europa Universalis 4 as Bohemia I was able to usurp Austria as the Holy Roman Emperor. This is a big deal and a major accomplishment as usually Austria has a lock on that and it opens up the whole world to conquest. I paused my game but didn't close it. My mother-in-law was visiting and went on the computer to check her email while I was in the other room. She kept saying "Your game popped up" and I just kept telling her "Just Alt-Tab out of it". What I didn't realize as she struggled poking around my game is that she had unpaused it and advanced the speed to the highest setting so my grand strategy empire went through ~100 years without any inputs or commands from its leader :(

Needless to say I didn't check my empire before saving & closing at the end of the day. Imagine my surprise when I loaded it up the next time to play and thought "what the hell happened to my Empire!?" before realization slowly dawned on me as to what had happened :(

Cinnibon Cereal

Drakd21

Hello everyone!  I recently picked up Rimworld and have been streaming it on twitch now for a little while.  I have been thoroughly enjoying this game very much.  It's even pulled me away from Dota2 and Starbound!

A guy by the name of Weem on the weemcast introduced me to Rimworld.  Check out his Rimworld videos on Youtube

Dota2 and Starbound.

I was playing Rimworld actually, and I just got the alert that raiders had landed.  Then, all of a sudden, I accidentally bumped my desk and one of the coals on my hookah fell.  In a panic, I had to hurry up and grab it with my tongs and run to the kitchen for a wet cloth just in case (I picked it up before it burned anything significant, just a small black spot on my desk now).  When I had finally cleaned everything up, I looked at my screen, noticed that in my panic I didn't hit the space bar (to pause), and everyone was dead.  Now I use a wind cover to help with this issue, hopefully it won't happen again.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch

MrSleepless

Actually I was playing Dwarf Fortress and thought to myself, "Why has nobody made a better version of this yet?" Well I decided that I needed to do a little research before I decided that it was the best in class. I found plenty of cheap knock-offs that offered very little originality and a couple that with a little work could become exactly what I was looking for. RimWorld was one of those that just needed some polishing and was actually getting the work it needed. I decided to give it a go! And I've gotta say, I'm glad that I did.

Minecraft. Plain and Simple. I've always loved survival/crafting and building. Minecraft is that perfect combination. It's actually Minecraft alternatives that I was looking for when I found Dwarf Fortress.

Most embarrassing gaming story... Tough one. Probably that I'm trying to play games on an extremely out-dated laptop. Nothing ever works. (-_-) RimWorld does though :D

Umm, Honey Clusters of Oat! The best of the best.

Random (embarrassing) Fact of the day: I drove 20 miles to work today (Monday) thinking that it was Tuesday. I was off work. I forced myself to get up and dressed, and drove to work for no reason. (9-9) the bags under my eyes are heavy.

LawnGnomeHitMan

Hello world

my name is Josh and i just cant wait to get my Pirate King all up in this World of Rims.

o and here is a ridiculous photo of me!

The Gnomes Have Found A New Way To Say Hooray!
Oooooooooomray!

ferrea

Read the book Designing Games and find the book fascinating so do some more digging. That how i found Rimworld.

Civilization series fro Sid Meier
Jagged Alliance
Sim series
Transport tycoon
Spell force Series
Dungeon Keeper 1 and 2
Galactic civilizations  series from Stardock
Fable
Master of Orion 1,2,3

-Argue the Merits of orc race to my friend who is playing Eldar race during a tabletop gaming session

A cup of good coffee.

Darkfirephoenix

Hrrmmm I'm a little late to introduce myself it seems (I watched you all since last year, but never really feeled like posting etc.) My name is Darkfirephoenix, I'm male and an german

What me got here?
Well that's an relatively easy question: One of my Youtubers I watch has introduced this game and I really loved it! :D

My favorite game... or better my favorite kind of genre/idea:
I really love games wich let me organise and plan. I love to start small and expand and get more and more possibilities in my games.
The Anno Series... Hrmmm is it called different in English? ...
Dungen Keeper 1 and 2
Galactic Civilization 1,2,3
Spore
Minecraft
Here are some Inidie games I play:
Prison Architect
Cataclysm:DDA
Dwarf Fortress
Aurora
Factorio
Non-PC games
Most of the Harvest Moon games

I'm still searching for an complex game in terms of code but relatively easy to play... DF in easier to understand/control if you want. I have some big ideas for possible a game (and they are complex as hell) and many ideas for most of the games I play. :P

reifnotreef

Just started playing a few days ago. I spent months trying to find something similar to Dwarf Fortress that worked on Linux to play on HP Chromebook 14(which I LOVE!).

Stumbled upon this by happens chance in a forum talking about 'Timber and Stone' and 'Stonehearth' actually.

SO glad I did. This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for!
Now if I can only manage to survive more than like 30 days I'll be golden! I usually end up dying to a raid followed by a mad Muffalo, or a grenadier blowing up EVERYTHING in 2-3 grenades!
Best,
Reif

Somz

Well it is only approrpiate to introduce myself I think, before the size of the community makes it impossible to follow, and because I'll stick with this game for...years I guess. :)

So, my name is Cyst. Not my real name of course, that'd be Soma but you probably won't ever encounter it, so just...Cyst.

The person introduced to this game was Mr. Scott Manely, not personally of course...Sadly...Anyway, Playing KSP made me want to look up a few things and I found this guy, found him rather funny. So after checking his videos on youtube, I've come across this game. Well, awesome.

No idea. I love Science fiction (or just fiction) and RPGs, I loved Mass Effect 1 (2, 3, not really), I love SWToR (1), Dragon Age:O, as well as (more or less) "mindless" shooters like Borderlands. (sorry, I'm no fan of shooters based on the present days) I also love builder games like Caesar III I started playing with in '99 as a kid, I was but 6 at the time, as well as Space Engineers and KSP, though both lagged for me so I stopped playing with them.
Picking a few would be really hard, but...Let's say it was...Homeworld2...Maybe. Loved that game.
Sadly, due to financial problems, I can not afford to buy a new PC so I'm stuck with the older ones, I don't really know about new games.

I don't...know. Maybe when I started playing WoW as my first online game around 2003-4. So I created a character logged in, just killed mobs. (Quests? Nope, I didn't speak english back then, I didn't even know how to quest!). Then there was a guy who was just lying on the ground asking for help. So I started talking to him, though he seemed odd, I continuously tried to explain that I can not help as he continuously begged for it. Then a lv lot expert stopped by and started laughing at me hard, invited his friends too, in 10 minutes there were about 10 of them laughing at me. Yep, I was talking to an NPC.

Dunno, I don't really eat cereal, chocolate milk and a smoke are what I start a day with. Yes, I also smoke, shame on me.

Greetings. :)
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

reifnotreef

Forgot to ask in my first post: can you please update my Mantis account so I'm able to post bugs.
Username is the same as the forums: reifnotreef

Best,
Reif
Best,
Reif

Dajmin

Hi all. Dajmin here. Been playing RW for a while but only recently signed up to the forum and thought I should say hello.

About Me:
I'm a semi-professional musician in the UK, currently touring in support of my band's second album.  I don't want to start pimping so soon, so I'll stay anonymous for now :)  Still learning RW and got my first fairly-successful colony working.  Preparing for doom any minute.  Just installed some mods but haven't had much time to try them out.  Haven't played Randy yet but really want to!

Quote from: TynanWhat introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I found RimWorld through YouTube, but I don't remember who did the upload.  I think I was looking at Prison Architect stuff and it was a related video.  Checked it out, liked the style and grabbed a copy!

Quote from: TynanWhat's your favorite other game?
Right now it's Prison Architect, but I'm loving FTL as well.  Too many across too many genres to name them all.

Quote from: TynanMost embarrassing gaming-related story?
Hmm... probably in Everquest back in the day, sending a message to the entire zone instead of my group, with an epic rant about someone in that zone who was annoying me.  Oops!
DAJMIN
Playstation Network | Steam
Nerds by Day, Rock Stars by Night: The Rock Star Gamers