Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedneckEinstein

Hey everyone!

Hows it going? I am REinstein, and have a youtube channel @ www.youtube.com/c/redneckeinstein

I absolutely love this game and am enjoying subscriber colonist playthroughs on my channel. Ive got a small but active community of subscribers who are always helping and suggesting ideas, and welcome all of you to come along and check out my latest playthrough and it would be awesome getting to know you.

If you want to see my latest playthrough, the playlist is here: http://bit.ly/1XRPE24
                                     And the latest video, Ep.11 is here: http://bit.ly/1LdgB7g

Please come along, make yourself known and i hope you enjoy the content!

R.Einstein

Valleo

Hello

I'm valleo and i'm 29 years old.
I have to say that i'm french, so maybe i don't write english quite well (sorry about that).

- What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

First, I tried Dwarf Fortress (can't remeber how I discovered it), but the graphics were a little bit too minimalists for me. However, I loved the concept. So I looked for similar games, and I found a top 10 of the best Dwarf Fortress-likes. Of course, Rimworld was ranked first (or maybe second. I Can't remember, that was a long time ago). So I watched a few let's play, and I was convinced. I'm playing to Rimworld since May 2015.

-What's your favorite other game?
The Mass Effect Trilogy. (yes, I love SF).

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Last year, I took part in a Pokémon tournament (a little one), and I have been beaten by a teenage girl with braces. She looked like Stan's sister (in South Park). When you're almost 30, it's embarassing...

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
At breakfast, I don't eat cereals, but hot chocolate and croissants ;)

phxrocker

Hey there!  I'm phxrocker, an almost middle-aged gamer from the Southwest US.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

Rimworld has been on my radar for quite some time and I finally caved and picked it up.  I mostly play sim/management type games.  I think I was orignally introduced to this type of game with something text based or maybe Populous(Yes, I'm old). 

What's your favorite other game?

I can't say there is one game that's my favorite.  I also enjoy open ended roguelike/survival type stuff.  I'm anxiously awaiting for the new update for 7 Days to Die.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

I'll just say that I've learned that turning autosave off in any game is a bad idea.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Honey Bunches of Oats(with Almonds)

wiscrack

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Paul, from YouTube. I found his videos, found a new guy to follow and a new game to play! I didn't enjoy playing game like this in God knows how long!

What's your favorite other game?
Well Fallout 4, Minecraft, Starbound and Terraria. Nothing special.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
When I tried to give my friends games so we can play multiplayer online and all I did was just copy shortcut of the game instead of game directory.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Honey one.

Montesat

Just a quick note; out of the 37000 user, only 500 introduced themselves.
Anyways, hello I'm Montes.
I got hooked in while watching other people play the game wanted to try myself. I really like playing it too!
... I'll leave it at that.
:)

sonicwolf

Well hey there everybody, I'm Hunter, but my username is Sonicwolf, you can call me Sonic or Wolf or whatever you please. I'm really in love with Rimworld and I guess since the ChuckleFish forums have been down for like 4 days I've decided to post here as a side-community, although I'm sure you guys will suck me into your little community, for reference I've got like 1,100 messages on the CF forums.
I'm good at writing, coming up with creative ideas, I'm weird and I'm not sure how to describe it other than that.
Oh I like to draw, and not the kind of I like to draw which is basically scribbling, I don't mean to be cocky but I'm a decent artist, I find it a little difficult to do Rimworld fan art but hey that won't stop me.
Above all else? I want to get involved in this community because I want to make a difference, if I can chisel an idea into these forums that strikes Tynan's attention and makes him want to implement it then I've done my duty. I like to join communities for games generally in hopes that somebody in a position of power over the game's future will see what the hell I'm getting at, which would be awesome. Seeming as how I can't do much for making games myself or even modding, I can just write, draw, and come up with good ideas(which yes I know is like half of game development already but I can't program for shit. Literally).

cdog099

i need help is there a way i can get a update link to newest version plz respond

Shabazza

Hi there!

I'm 31 and I come from germany.
I was googling for planetary colonization games (old and new ones) and stumbled accross a Rimworld introduction video on youtube.
It needed some weeks to made up my mind, but somehow the game had left an impression on me.
So I eventually bought the game after watching some Let's Plays and I didn't reget it. ^^

Aside from Rimworld I also (still) play Diablo III, Space Engineers, Kerbal Space Program and a number of more and less actual single player shooters
which I not yet finished.

But currently I'm playing Rimworld for like 16/7 during my holidays.
Sad thing you sometimes need to buy food or have to clean your apartment.
What a distraction from the really important things....  ;D

colebled

My names Cole, and my favorite cereal has to be Mini Wheats (bushels of wheat with sugar on them). I like rocky road ice cream and vanilla cake.
- What introduced you to Rimworld?
I love these types of games, I've played Factorio and Prison Architect for countless hours, and while I was watching a stream someone mentioned I'd probably like Rimworld. The streamer got it, and we spent a few hours being incredibly confused. I kept playing, and now I'm kind of glad there isn't an hour counter for Rimworld.
- Favorite Games?
As I mentioned earlier, in no particular order my top 3 have to be Rimworld, Factorio, and Prison Architect, maybe GTA IV if I would play more on console.
- Most Embarrassing Gaming Moment?
Probably when I messaged a developer for about 2 weeks because I was playtesting for him and I couldn't run the game, turned out I forgot to extract the files.
Btw, for the past year and a half I didn't know this forum was a thing. Tynan posted on the subreddit so I thought that was the main gathering area for everyone who played this.
Oh a siege? Well lets see how well you can siege when I release my BOAR ARMY *the music you hear when your watching TV and it shows a comic book scene switch you know the one its like "doodly doo"*

Akimotos

Hi, Paul from the netherlands here. I'm from 1966 and love all kinds of games. Mostly RPG adventure / fantasy / sci fi etc.
I was introduced to RimWorld by cohhCarnage's twitch stream in chat.
favorite games are depending on my mood.
I look mostly for games to play with one buddy. (mmo or coop) I don't like it when i need to be real good at something to progress. For me there has to be an investment in time. My skills in (mostly mmo) will never become any better.
all my online games are embarrising. doesn't stop me though. Bosses do. sadly...
now onward! to rimworld :)

Old Marm

I am an older player who loves games.  A recent injury has kept me away from my computer, but I had the loan of a notebook to keep up on the game news.  No playing, but  watching.  I discovered let's plays, and eventually found Rimworld.  I love this game.  Watching it and playing it (a gift from my kids).  Therapy! 
I like resource management games and rpg's best.  Oatmeal is the best breakfast cereal.
Don't anyone give up on this game.  This is a wonderful game.

KreVor

I first found out about Rimworld from paulsauresjr on Youtube when he began a Letsplay for Alpha 12 (give credit where credit is due). :)

So, bought into it (didn't get any hack jobs, because...well, they're hack jobs) and have stumbled through a bit.  On my second colony now and figuring out things and a few tricks.

I have been a "gamer" for ages from back in the '70's (no, not the show) when it began with board games, but quickly got into the video variety with the proliferation of computers.  Yes, I'm from back when that was an realized event, and no, I didn't use a time machine or wormhole.  I remember when the original Star Trek episodes were new and people scoffed at automatically opening doors and phones that weren't plugged in.  I think the only things we have to do is teleports and warp drive, but don't hold me to that. :)

One thing I am not is an "avid gamer", which is to say someone that devotes most (or at least a large portion) of his income to gaming.  Either through the system, the connection or even the research.  I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars for a few hours of play, or even a significant amount of time researching a game just to figure out the quintessential maximum benefit/cost ratio.

That's why I've always enjoyed a game that's not only affordable, but that you don't have to devote tons of study just to be a mediocre level.  Rimworld, as I have pretty much discovered, seems to fall in that area.  So what if the crops aren't ripe yet, go hunt a couple animals.  Rooms aren't the right size? Extend the walls and renovate.  Defensive guns drain all your power?  Install a power switch and turn them on only when needed.  One of your colonists lost a lung during a firefight?  Harvest one from a prisoner (or more....or buy one) and get your people back up to speed.

The game is simple enough, but very complex without getting overwhelming.....except...for...those...damn...firestorms...gah!!!  lol

Tomaquet

Yo!

I'm pumped about writing on here.

This game is a piece of art. I'm 28 years old and i've been gaming since i can remember, and there's many games i love but only a few have made the kind of impression Rimworld has.

I often think about how we humans, at least for the time being, are stuck, there's no new land to colonize, no room for something new, no unexplored land to build a home of my own, and it saddens me that i'll never see such a thing, which i think goes against our nature, and the nature of life itself.

And so i found myself playing this game and being able to tailor the experience it provides to this very personal and deep yearning of mine, and it feels amazing i get completely absorbed by it.

-I found about it while actively looking for basebuilding games on youtube. And for the style, no idea, back when i played strategy games, aoe, warcraft, tzar, ee, etc rather than play campaing or matches i would just build huge cities, in the map editor, or ingame itself that would be my first basebuilding experiences i guess.

-My favourite game is Suikoden 2. Which funnily enough Rimworld reminds me of it a little bit. One fo my favourites things to do in Suikoden was to build up ur base/castle, and fill it with the people u kept rectruiting, and many had different functions within it which sums up what i do in Rimworld, making big bases, with tons of people in them (randy random masterace) and watching it grow and be alive. That feeling of building something in this new, hostile enviroment and thriving on it, it's just great.

-Most embarrasing huh? prob some catastrophic fail while playing some 2h giant with friends on some of the magic dotp games, Feelsbadman.

-Best ceral would be chocolated rice, u let it rest on the milk until it becomes sort of a hot damp mesh and then ur mouth orgasms a bit.

I'm not used to forums so i don't know if the image will show but that's my sweet ice sheets base, i've put a ton of time into it, like 5 ingame years i think.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Kreos

Oi. I'm 19 years old, live in Corsica and HATE rainy weather.

- I cannot recall what introduced me to Rimworld. Although it took me some time to finally try it, and eventually getting my hands on it was a positive experience.

- Best game evaaar? Hard to say. Torn between the Mass Effect or the Witcher trilogy. Great universes for both of them, and full of subplots, ressources, secondary stories. Great lore in general.

- In Stalker: Shadow of Tchernobyl I once killed every last person in the Duty base to sell their armors/weapons/supplies to the local bartender in order to buy an exoskeleton just to find out that I needed even more money. Ugh.

Oh and Kellogg's Smacks are the best breakfast cereal hands down.
At some point, everyone has to make a hard choice. The only difference there is between each human beings is how they live with it afterwards.
And that may very well be the only thing that counts.

Gaiska

first of all > sorry for my english.

name is gaiska, 26 from Austria. Buyed this ... absolutly extraordinary game 1 year ago after i had much fun with prison architect. Someone told me then i should look at Rimworld because of the similar graphic style and my faible to firefly. first hours i was shocked because of the complexity and the raiders who killed my first colonist groups every time. i changed the difficulty to phoebe chillout and it works. ok i thought it would work now... i build defense weapons at start > so now i had a very effective defense structure but not enough food and my colonists died again. started new a bit pissed but more motivated because i learned every time more about the game and saw the potential.

then my 4 or 5 colony worked perfect for me so i researched almost all of the possibilitys. after hundrets of hours of playing time i downloaded much mods and started again 3 days ago. stunned again.

wanna say thank you for this game.