Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RolanDecoy

Well, I got this game through Steam on by birthday, since I don't like asking people for stuff or spread around wish lists regardless of who and how many times people keep asking for them...I just want friends and family to show up and have a good time, okay? Anywho, people that know me know the safest fallback which is my Steam wish list, and I put this gem on there a few months back.

I really enjoyed the X-Universe (from X: Beyond the Frontier all the way down to X3: Albian Prelude, hated the last one though), loved Space Station 17 on the BEYOND engine, was a LOT of fun. I'm just not much of a multiplayer gamer, but when I do it's role playing (played Artemis Bridge Simulator in TSN as Michael Seer for over a year). But I really loved the idea behind Space Station 17, where one could procedurally create different kind of walls depending on what component one would add to the tile and what tool was used. The objects in the world were more than just tiles with logic, or so it felt. Battlecruiser 3000 A.D is a more acquired taste, but more Star Trek than any other game even Paramount Pictures could roll out at the time (and still haven't to this day...).

The problem I'm having these days is that we have the technology to switch and realistically go from small scale, local sit-on-a-chair-eat-your-dinner and heating-a-room-mechanics to the procedural formation of galaxies and even dimensions, covering everything in between from plant design to interstellar politics and war for the last 2 decades, and somehow we don't see that realized. But that's just my opinion on the game industry...and I went off on a rant, I apologize (but still feel the need not to remove it from this post) ;-)

My most embarrassing moment(s) are along the lines of starting a new game (like this one), and being so focused on getting say a room up, and technology developed, that I completely forget 'ow ya, my colonists need food...' whilst playing in the middle of nowhere on an ice sheet on a min-temp planet without and no heating...

Okay that wasn't true, that's just my most recent 'accomplishment'. My most embarrassing game-related story isn't a picture of me next to a toilet stoned out of my mind halfway between conscious and stuck in laughter, which I hear is still roaming the internet (although I can't seem to find it... If anybody feels interested in looking, LAN-party, Verkeerspark Assen, Netherlands. I think it was 2005 or so).
I guess it would have to be too eager to post a suggestion not realizing that the feature I'm requesting is already in the game, I just couldn't find it. Not as sensational, but I concider that a lot more embarrassing than passing out next to a toilet at a LAN-party with over 2000 people there... Those posts are generally seen a lot more people (or at least on Steam games they tend to be).

I prefer high-fibre breakfast, but when it comes to cereal I like it sweet and crunchy, so I rarely eat cereal for breakfast. Usually, if I have breakfast at all, it's bread, and depending on what's still viable, an egg or salad... Usually just coffee.

As for my ridiculous picture, well, you can try and find the previously mentioned, or maybe you can find my Steam profile and look something up there. Though not pictures of me, I've had that account for over a decade, a decent amount of reviews written, a LOT of screenshots and appropriate captions, some of which serious bug reports, other I find hilarious, might be worth a chuckle. Same handle as I use here.

Losttruppen

Hello folks,

New to this forum but have been playing RimWorld for several months and loving(dreading) every minute. Introduced by my brother.

I am Canadian, but I'm not sorry about it.

Thought I'd see what I can learn and potentially contribute to this fantastic game beyond mere silver.

I mostly play rts' and rpgs, but dabble in just about everything of quality with stints in things like WoW or console shooters. Currently playing Stellaris, CoH2, Grim Dawn, and still occasionally dust off Infinity Engine isometrics and Diablo II when the nostalgia strikes.

Diamond Shreddies, ideally combined with frozen blueberries.

ImRebelRaider

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

I've watched a few streamers and was really into them playing so I decided to give it a shot.

-What's your favorite other game?

RuneScape, Battlefield 1, Town of Salem, and The Binding of Isaac.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

I have only recently started playing and I guess the most embarrassing moment would be during this particular raid. Sense I've just started played the raid only had two enemies, one with a club and the other wielding molotovs. So I tried to flank the molotov wielder with my two best shooters and accidentally shot one of my own in the back of the head and knocked them out. Promptly after the remaining raiders fled while taking my downed colonist with them.   

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Lucky Charms.

forestfey

-What introduced you to RimWorld?
Not sure anymore, it might have been a steam suggestion. But I'm generally interested in simulations that involve uhm...let's say biomes and pawn-interactive behaviors (I actually hold a degree in biology, so it's a major part of an ecologist's and ethologist's curiosity about more or less controllable -and inspectable- environments and creatures to be honest!). Though I never really got into the Sims, probably luckily.

Hard to say. There's a lot of storydriven games I really like, I enjoyed the narrative of the MassEffect-trilogy quite alot (even though I can only show for a single complete playthrough :P And for all the haters: I chose the synthesis ending very voluntarily and was happy with it. HA!).
Given playtime and involvement with workshop and/or streams, I'd say my favorites are X-COM: Enemy Within (incl. LW mod) and Cities:Skylines (subscription-addiction). The Shadowrun Returns Collection has a special place in my heart, too.

I like chocolatey or cinnamony crunchy cereals with whole milk. But especially when I'm travelling, I also eat classical porridge (the oats can be a bit coarse, no problem) with a bit of honey and dried fruit and/or nuts and seeds. An enjoyable meal with a nutrition value of at 0.85 I'd say? I can be a bit "tribal" when it comes to nutrition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimal_foraging_theory)

-other stuff
Usually I'm quite reluctant to open up forum accounts, but as I am considering to get a bit deeper into modding Rimworld... or making art for mods, I thought this would be a practical decision. And I like practicality, aswell as goal- and solution-oriented approaches. But I'm also a complete noob regarding any coding that goes deeper than superficial R statistics skills and inspecting, maybe editing xml-scripts a little (and even there I'm like 75% of the time "I have no actual idea what I'm doing...Lalalala!").

So, not sure yet where and how to start... but the at least 1-flamed passion might be a boon here ;)

Also, I'm not a native speaker, so if there are wonky terms, phrases or sentence-structures I use, this might come from a brain that is habituated to think in german, which has, in some regards or for some concepts, a more particular or precise expression. If something I write is unclear, please ask for clarification :)

-Oh right, and
Janeway, then Picard. But I am very aware of the gender-based rolemodel bias I have there. And she... is just so SASSY!
"Despite all our accomplishments, we owe our existence to a six-inch layer of top-soil and the fact that it rains."
_
Klirrend klare Nacht
funkelt durch den Schleier.
Entfaltung nach innen

Jingling clear night
Sparkles through the veil.
Unfolding inwards

ntz

Greetings all!

I actually forgot how I knew RimWorld. All I remembered was that I made it as wishlist on Steam. I told some of my friends, and then they made it as their wishlist, too. And I just purchased it  :P

Euro Truck Simulator 2, Stardew Valley, Freelancer, Mount & Blade, Ys series, Legend of Heroes series

I guess I did a lot of embarrassing things, especially when I was a college student and was playing some MMORPGs

I have rice as breakfast menu  ;D

ruddthree

(This is looooong overdue...)

A youtuber by the name of Paulsoaresjr had a series back in Alpha 8 or 9, and again in Alpha 13. I bought Rimworld on August 26th, 2015, 5 days after the release of Alpha 12. This is the first game of it's kind that I've liked, let alone heard of.

Mario Kart 8. That game has built up many friendships (and broken a lot more...).

In the beggining of my Rimworld journey, many mistakes were made, but my yearn for knowledge knew no boundaries, and after 5-7 failed colonies now suspended in an instance of time, I got better at Rimworld, and now all I think about are strategies, and all around "do this, don't do this".

Ramen instant noodles.

Jens

- What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Pretty easy to answer, positive steam reviews. Also seemed to fullfill my need for some more relaxing gameplay (well, I guess everything is relative).

- What's your favorite other game?
I used to play Warcraft III and Starcraft II on a pretty high level so they win out, even though I rarely play SCII anymore.

- Most embarassing gaming-related story?
Breaking my keyboard in public after losing in a Warcraft III event many years ago. I am by nature a sore loser, but I was way worse in my "youth".

- What kind of breakfast cereal is best?
I look at cereals with utter contempt, I find no joy in consuming them whatsoever.  However if fictive cereals are to be included I would definitely go with mint-berry crunch.

Other stuff:

- Finding that buying the mercenary pack before actually having a good character name and backstory was probably a mistake. I am using way too much time trying to come up with a good character these days.

Jake

Hi there. I'm Jake. I'm 30, English and started playing Rimworld because Dwarf Fortress just wasn't challenging enough anymore.

Daximus

Hey I'm Dax, just started playing a few days ago. Love the game, I'm instantly hooked.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I've always loved sim, management, crafting, survival and RTS games and this combines all of those genres into a nice little package. I found the game through Stream just browsing under survival genre.

What's your favorite other game?
Oh boy that's tough. I play to many to really choose just one.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I play a lot of sports games onine on PS4 and have probably said my fair share of embarrassing stuff on there. Can't really isolate one event though.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cinnamon Life. Seriously, it's better than Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

elminsterrr

Hi, Guys!

I bought RimWorld, because of positive steam reviews. Never before saw a game with such good reviews both old and recent!

And all these users stories. I wanted to have similar stories to tell! And now I'm in RimWorld universe!

ProjectXa3

Hi there.
What introduced me? Well, as far as the style of game in general, I was browsing TVTropes and came across the entry for Dwarf Fortress. Some amazing stuff, that. I didn't get the game, though, because the overriding theme was "HOLY SHIT THIS IS HARD" and I'll be honest, I don't like a game kicking my ass right out the gate. Then sometime later, reading the comic Ctrl+Alt+Del, the author did a strip about the game, with a news post  further describing his experience with the game and a link to the main page of its site. I read the post and wanted to know more, so I went to the site and read even more. I loved the sound of it. I also loved that it seemed to be another game in the style of Dwarf Fortress, but without the difficulty "curve" that was more of a "cliff" and a visual style that I wouldn't need to learn how to read. Later, I had the good sense to check if it's on Steam, and here we are.

My other favorite game? Hard to say, it depends on my mood, but I'd go with either Titanfall 2 or the original Halo for PC. I can rock me a king-pistol!

Most embarrassing gaming story? I don't actually have that many, so I think a recent one from just the other night counts: I started a second village for shits an' giggles, yadda yadda raider, capture, nurse back to health, starts wandering about the prison area, which the prisoner that I have in my first game *doesn't* do. Next day I switch back to my first game, and eventually on a lark I check my prisoner of 4 seasons' Health tab, and lo and behold, she's had her leg shot off. WELL NO WONDER SHE'S NOT JOINING. Y'know, that and the low social scores, but whatever.

Best Cereal? Blueberry flavor Tiny Toast. No arguments.
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."

Rizla

Steam. Glorious Steam. I didn't even know games like this existed outside of my own personal fantasy world. It made me wonder what else in my fantasies actually exists... Good AAA games? Attractive women who enjoy sex? God?
Civ V. Nothing forges better friendships than taking over everything he/she built over the past three nights and razing it to the ground.
When I was a little kid, I once sharted while playing Luigi's Mansion. I vividly remember the feeling as the shit populated my underpants. I was out-of-commission for about 15 minutes.
Just a Simple Meal, or some raw potatoes - whatever's closer to me.

Btw it took me a while to realise you cool a room with an air conditioner, not an air cooler :(

Belgord

Hello all.

Long time lurker and rimworlder. I'm from brisbane Australia. 33years old. Married with 4 (far too many) beautiful kids. I can't get enough of rimworld. My wife is started to roll her eyes when I speak because she is sick of hearing about it......my 4 year old daughter though is such a fan. Daddy why is that cowboy naked? Daddy what's with all the blood and wommits? Daddy why is every one dead (I get this a lot).

I love the game and the middling community. Many thanks for the continuing great experience.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

It was a random YouTube watch when I was on nightshift new baby duty.

Too many to list but if I had to choose one it would be the baldur''s Gate saga (counts as one??)......that and hearts of iron 4 black ice

Dunno...me in a multiplayer fps.

Wheat bix

Dumplin

I found Rimworld a while ago on YouTube, and decided to buy the game after watching hours of gameplay. I currently have just over 350 hours into the game.

Sims 4, it's really the only other game I'm currently playing besides Rimworld.

I had a colony of three people taken down by an elderly raider with dementia and a bad back... Let's say I'm much better at playing now then I was then.

Skip the cereal, toast and eggs are the best. Or eggs and bacon. Or hashbrown and eggs.

kalan

Hi! I've been lurking for a while, but having recently bought the game I decided I might as well register :)

Well, I have played a bit with dwarf fortress in the past, but it lacked accessibility. By chance I happened to watch Aavak's let's plays of the game and it really intrigued me, so here I am!
- What's your favorite other game?
I like strategy, simulation and rpg