Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattig89ch

Can't remember if I posted on this thread before, or not.  But, hidy ho all!  I backed this game on kick starter, haven't regretted it yet.  I don't always play every release, but I always download each release.

Mostly going to be in the off topic forum, but I'll be here once in a while.

Keep up the great work Ludeon!

Blacky

Hi.

RimWorld has been on my radar for the longest time, being a heavy Dwarf Fortress player since... well forever (when did the z axis was introduced? can't remember... well, like a year before that). But anything early access does not get much more attention from me. I have been sufficiently shat on by studios before while doing alpha or beta community testing, thank you very much. So usually it's "get it out properly, then we'll see". But lately DF crashes on me, and had a very difficult (and late) 64bits transition, and for various reasons I haven't played it for over a year.

And for the past days I've been looking (purely by chance) at SovietWomble's videos on RimWorld, and realized... wait, playing DF is like playing early access. Well some kind of weird Duke Nukem-HL3 bastard son version of early access. Kind of.

It's a really bad timing for me to start that kind of game (I really, really don't need another excuse to procrastinate), and I have no money, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to resist much longer.

Edit: although, it's quite expensive, especially for early access. Still... well... we'll see...

NoRd87

Hi everyone :)

Playing RimWorld since A15, just a couple of hours, really started with A16, 75h so far and no end in sight. That is pretty incredible cause I usually get bored pretty quick with most games nowadays. I never played a game like rimworld before. My main genres are turnbased-strategy/-tactics and Singleplayerrpgs (prefere turnbased systems there as well and Iso but I like modern stuff like Mass Effect or the Witcher as well) Also I love good "Walking Sims". It is nice to just relaxe and enjoy the story now and than. For the last weeks I haven't been playing anything else but Rimworld but I'm looking forward to Tides of Numenera.

Have been reading on the forum quite a while now. Bugs triggered registration ;D but I also like to participate in discussions since Rimworld seems to be a game I'm stuck with :D.

SixStringRazor

Hey guys, SixStringRazor here.  I found Rimworld about a month ago, and haven't done much else since.  I stream it most days, and love talking strategy, design tips, and figuring out ways to improve my overall colony.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

Found someone streaming it on Twitch, thought I'd give it a try.  Best decision ever!

-What's your favorite other game?

Company of Heroes 2 maybe?  Tough question

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

I'll have to think about this and edit my post at a later time once I come up with something.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Cocoa Pebbles, hands down.

Cornfield

What introduced you to rimworld?
I saw it on the recommended page in the steam store so i watched a bunch of YouTube videos and thought it was AMAZING and bought it.
What is your other favourite game?
Besides rimworld Sheltered
Most embarrassing gaming related story.
Got trolled a bunch of times in Minecraft,Terraria and Starbound.

And my favourite cereal would be, i do not know i do not eat cereal that much.:)

So far i started a WHOLE NEW WORLD IN RIM WORLD and i love it,no attacks yet but i am ready for one.

PotemaQuest

Hi! I'm Potema, I'm a YouTuber from Ireland. Pretty small time and I only really have time for casual uploading because I'm busy in college at the moment studying Visual FX and 3D Technology.

I think I first saw it on the Yogscast. Lewis and Sips were playing it and it just looked so cool, the quirkiness, the survival, the base builder, I loved it! Watched a couple other YouTubers playing and eventually picked it up myself. I love these style of games, I asked Double Eleven for a free key for Prison Architect but they said maybe when I have a little more influence online. I think I only had 200 subscribers when I put that folly towards them. Used to play Theme Hospital to death when I was a kid too and I feel like that shares a lot of similarities with RimWorld, you know, the constant death and all that. (my graveyards get pretty big)
I don't want to say Fallout 4 but I kind of have to say Fallout 4. I've played over a week of that in game time. Fuck. It could be better though, I loved Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas. While I love the additions to Fallout 4, sometimes it does fall a bit flat. Luckily I love the settlement building mechanic so I guess that's what has kept me going.
Well, RimWorld related anyway, I recently set out to make an animal sanctuary in the jungle. Got attacked by Raiders and two of my colonists lost a leg each. We had no food so I sent one guy out with a caravan to trade with a local settlement. While he was gone one of my colonists died from wounds inflicted by the raiders, his sister then went insane and killed all my animals. A wild Rhinocerous went mad and killed her and then the only other capable colonists I had so the two bed ridden colonists died of malnutrition. Th caravan got back with barely any food and the only remaining colonist (who has Alzheimers)  kept just going into confused dazes between trying to make beer from the ridiculous amount of hops I'd grown. Eventually a raider came along and shot him.
It was worse than the time my entire camp was murdered by a pack of angry beavers.
I don't really eat breakfast cereal, it's too carbohydrate-y for me in the morning. I prefer just some coffee and maybe yoghurt.

There, that's the questions.
Nice to be amongst you all.

TaryTrayTwins412

Hi everybody! I'm Tracey! But you can address me as Tracki or  any form of my handle!

Steam queue recommended it to be, plus it had the funniest reviews! The game seemed easy enough that I and my extremely clumsy self would be able to play it A ok(I killed my colony of 5 in two days by heatstrokes, but whatever) Plus I like games where you mange people to do daily routines, but they have some level of autonomy.

PC only? I guess the last remnant. I like rpg dungeon crawler like games with an interesting fight system.

I don't remember any super embarrassing gaming stories, although I remember getting confused when Pony Island tried to trick me by pretending my friend was sending me PMs from steam, but notifications kept showing the message was from me. I was like" the hell, I'm obviously not sending myself messages, why is my name displayed there?" Turns out I forgot I was playing PI from a friend's steam account, it just so happen they chose me from his friend list to act as the unwilling accomplice.

When I hate my body, Lucky Charms (mmm diabetes). But when I'm not so hateful, Honey Chex

The-Eroks

Hello RimWorld Fourm

I guess I'm here to hang out and make mods...

I think it was a random Steam advisement that introduced me to RimWorld and it was the specific comparison to Dwarf Fortress which initially hooked me. I saw a few gameplay videos and read the description. I was hooked. I don't remember what hooked me to this style of game. I've always been partial to Rogue-Likes, Permadeath, and Fun.

My favorite other games would have to be Fall from Heaven II and FTL. I once lost a round of Smash Brothers that was so intense that I literally threw the controller on the ground, smashing it to pieces. Finally, Mini-Wheats.

The Man with No Name

I bought this game eight days ago and already have 89 hours of play.

I've been playing video games for over 35 years and I have to say this is a fantastic game and right up there with the best I've played.

The last few months, all the games I've played - top-rated games - have left me frustrated because they have significant game design flaws, but, so far, I haven't felt that way about this game at all, which is an indicator of a really well-designed game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Having now played 334 hours of this game, I would like to amend what I wrote. I think it's a good game with some potential, but, since it's not in its finished state, I think it prudent at the current time to suspend judgement on where I'd rank it in the overall list of games I've played.

CABL

Hello, I'm CABL! I'm a basement dweller from Russia who enjoys vidya games, particularly strategies. I came here from Bay12 Forums, the home of Dwarf Fortress!

- What introduced you to Rimworld?
Bay12 Forums Rimworld thread. At first, thought that Rimworld is a cheap, dumbed-down copy of Dorf Fortress, but it's actually a quite fun game!

- What's your favourite other game?
Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings II, etc. I also started playing Rome: Total War (the first one) and I love it!

-What's your most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I made a lot of mistakes in vidya games, some are more embarrassing than the others, but no particular number one embarrassment.

- What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I almost always eat various kinds of yoghurt at breakfast.

Hcmac1996

Hello I'm Hcmac1996, my username's made up of my name initials and the first three letters of my family name and my birthyear, that's if your wondering. I'm a casual gamer from Philippines, and just started playing rimworld with mods.

-What introduced you to Rimworld?
My bestfriend introduced this game to me cause he knows how I liked survival and construction games.

-What's your favourite other game?
I also like RTS games like starcraft 2 and the Command and Conquer series. FPS aren't bad as well.

-What's your most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I was playing with my friends red alert 2. As we are preparing for an attack, I neglected defending my base and ended up with most of my building besides the barracks being captured and sold by the enemy. So I had to support my allies with nothing but a battalion of G.I.. My friends laughed at me the whole time.

Cereals are for the weak, real men eat meat for breakfast! Har har har ;D

-Lastly, why is it that I'm a Muffalo? Not that I don't like it but how did the system decide that?

Anyway, I'm new here so I hope you can take care of me and that we'd all be friends here  ;D

BTW, where do I go ask about my mod arrangement? I'm having trouble fixing my mods. Thanks!

dburgdorf

What the hell. I might as well add a post here. ;)

I'm Darryl Burgdorf, aka Rainbeau Flambe, a 53 year-old geek living in Omaha, Nebraska. I work as an administrative assistant at the University of Nebraska at Omaha, have a wife, two cats, and three adult offspring, and will eventually get around to finishing my thesis to complete my master's degree in sociology, honestly, I swear.

- What introduced you to Rimworld?

A friend posted a random comment on Facebook back in late December that caught my interest. I decided to check out the game, and almost immediately got sucked into the modding side of things. I've been modding more than playing ever since.

- What's your most embarrassing gaming-related story?

You don't want to know the size of the service bill I racked up playing Gemstone III on General Electric's GEnie network back 1990.  ;)

But, yeah, I've got 30 years worth of embarrassing gaming-related stories....

Actually, *most* of my gaming-related stories are embarrassing, since I generally suck at the very games I love so much.  :D

- What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

Any cereal with the tiny, hard marshmallows. They're atrociously unhealthy, but they taste so *good*.
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Bakar

Hi my names Bakar
-what introduced you to Rimworld?
I discovered rimworld while browsing games with the survival tag on steam

-Whats your favorite other game?
Fallout 4... definitely

-whats your most embarrassing gaming related story?
I tried to beat a boss on fallout 4 but run out of bullets on my one good gun (i was still a beginner at that time) I then tried to beat him with my bare hands and won! I then got killed by a boatfly when I left the building :P

What kind of cereal is best?
I would say kellogs but I'd rather have a bowl of coco pops ::)

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.

Wolf_

Howdy hey, I got introduced to rimworld via the youtuber Robbaz, I always liked this genre of games so I gave it a shot.

Favorite other game? ehhh I dont know at this point.

Most embarresing gaming story... Well about 6 or seven years ago I got really into peggle... yes peggle and I actually lost sleep over not having 100% on a level...

Favorite/best cereal/breakfast food, Danishes any danish all the danish.

Jinawee

Hello! I'm Jinawee, and I am a pretty big fan of Rimworld. I have some random YouTube videos on it, and I stream it a lot on Twitch when the addiction is particularly bad (good?).

QuarkDragon a.k.a. Bitty introduced me to Rimworld a very long time ago. I play it in spurts - I binge on it and then I'm done until a few more updates hit.

Ooooh this is a tough one. I will have to say The Isle right now - it's so much fun playing as a dinosaur, and watching that game grow is amazing! My favorite game changes quite frequently though - I'm a fickle gal.

The time that I accidentally saved over my brother's Final Fantasy X game. ;_;

Cocoa Puffs. Chocoholics, unite!