Ludeon Forums

Ludeon Forums

• November 19, 2019, 12:36:37 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56

Author Topic: Introduce yourself!  (Read 158838 times)

Robc

• Drifter
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
Re: Introduce yourself!
« Reply #795 on: July 19, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »

-Basics of me
Civil Engineer, Game Developer (hobbyist for 20? years or so), did previously work full-time on games for 4 years under my own banner, thatbrewerygame.com and thatpmgame.com are my most successful games and still online.   See rcharney.com for more about me.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Can't remember when I first came across RW, seems a long time ago though, love it, was a dwarf fortress player prior, just started reading "Designing Games"  nice work.

-What's your favorite other game?
Decline to state... lol, only because my favorite changes too often and is highly mood dependent.  I am firmly entrenched in strategy and management game genres, need a rare but occasional FPS fix, have similar occasional fix requirements in other genres as well, did many MMOs for awhile but have since lost interest, played many of the earliest games to ever appear on computers and the web...  read "old timer"

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I dunno, wearing a red cloak around for a day at E3 15 years or so ago to try and get a beta slot for one of the "new" superhero MMOs (can't remember which one)?

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Probably oatmeal, though I am an eggs for breakfast guy at the moment.  One of the first websites I ever created was gamerchow.com, An attempt to answer the age old question about what are the best foods to eat while playing video games?  The web page is seriously dated now, and I don't really do anything with it but continue to host it for nostalgia only.  Check it out for a laugh.

Adsixnine

• Drifter
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 22, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »

Welcome to the forums.

nice to meet u.

KalkiKrosah

• Drifter
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: July 22, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »

My username is KalkiKrosah. I've had this username for about almost a decade now. My name is the combination of two song titles by E.S. Posthumous: Kalki & Krosah. I found out later that Kalki is the 10th incarnation of the Hindu god Vishnu and the incarnation who ends the world only to usher in a new era. While Krosah, which translates from Sanskrit, to mean "the distance within which a man's shout can be heard." I'm not Hindu, I just liked the way the words sounded together.

It kept showing up on my recommended list for Steam. Nobody I knew was playing it and the strategy tag peaked my interest. Most of the other games I own are either strategy or RPG. The base building part

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (vanilla). I can't even remember how many hours I spent playing and replaying this game. The world building is great and I am especially fond of the Aurora effect they made in the sky as well as some of the music tracks in the game.

The most recent one I can recall is when I got a notification about a man hunter pack of gazelles. Decided I would wait this one out instead of fight it off. Conscripted all my colonists outside the wall to run back inside only to realize later that one of the doors was set to "stay open" and the man hunter pack got inside the wall through the open door. And then in fighting them off realized that one of my colonists still had a molotov equipped that I forgot to swap out from an earlier raid. They were trigger happy too...

Lately I've been fond of Raisin Bran with apple clusters in it. But frosted mini wheats is my go to want something less fruity.

Anniebenlen

• Drifter
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 27, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm Annie.  I've been posting a bit on the forums, and I realized I've never hit this thread.  So here it goes!

I'm a 54 year old woman with a husband and 7 cats.  I've literally been playing pc games since the days when they used cassette tape storage (our computer would reboot every time the fridge condenser kicked in.  Good times).  All of this doesn't mean I am particularly good or anything, I break towards just goofing around and not dealing with min/maxing.

Games I've sank way to many hours in, in no particual order:
  • Bard's Tale and other rpgs when they were in the golden age of the Commodore 64
  • Civs 1-6.  Not a big fan of I think it was 4?  But overall, yeah, Civ. 
  • The Sims Series.  Fond Memories, but EA destroyed it and now on boycott status for me
  • Everquest/WoW/City of Heroes
  • Tropico.  First was great, the series is decent now but too much a dlc cash grab.  No official on boycott status, but I'm not really bothering anymore either.
  • Stardew Valley
  • Don't Starve
  • Lately a odd little story generation management game I can remember the name of

As far as Tynan's suggestions:

Rimworld I found from recommendations from the Don't Starve Community.  I truly love DS, but I was getting a bit bored with it.  Others in the same position said they liked Rimworld too, so I gave it a go.  Fell in love in first playthrough when a mad squirrel destroyed my life.  Oh, you shouldn't ignore those like I do in real life?  Wow!

Seriously, Don't Starve is awesome.

I was playing a gnome in Wow and running around sand dunes hunting small things, don't remember the details.  What I do remember is that I suddenly came upon a giant something or other.  Spider maybe?  Details.  What I do remember is that I was startled in real life.  And I screamed, in real life.  And my real life husband and our room mate at the time were at their computers playing their games.  I startled them in real life.  They laughed at me for months, and rightly so.

Cinnamon raison bagels slathered with butter.  Yes, that counts and cereal.

TheSurvivemer

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
    • The Survivemer
« Reply #799 on: August 07, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »

Hello everyone,

I'm The Survivemer. And I know that some might have some problems pronouncing it...  It's 2 separate words: "survive", then "mer" as in the last part of "gamer". Now you have it ;)

I'm an old software engineer and avid gamer. When I'm not coding or playing around with my little daughter, I record some let's plays or stream live. I have a very humble YouTube channel where I publish episodes on several games, RimWorld among them. This is one of my favorites games.

None other than Quill18!

Tough question! I would say Stonehearth... and The Long Dark, and 7 Days To Die, and Subnautica, and, and, and... hehehehe

Discovering what's inside the fallen chunk of poisonous metal and leading my colony to complete disaster... on a LIVE stream!

None, I try to avoid carbs at all costs ;) I go directly for chicken at launch.

Cheers guys, and have a nice day!  :)

Cards1125

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 19, 2018, 03:31:03 PM »

Hey guys! Cards here.  And its Cards like the University of Louisville (Kentucky), not playing Cards    ;)

I'm a husband, a father of three, and I enjoy gaming so that I can ignore all of my adult responsibilities.

Rimworld showed up on my Steam recommended games list, and boy am I ever glad that it did.

Probably GTA.  Although I have to give LA Noire some love.  Zelda, A Link to the Past has to be up there.  But I enjoy lots of different styles.  I played everything from WoW, to Civ.  Total War, NBA2k, Out of the Park Baseball, GameDev Tycoon. And if I can ever find another Sega Derby Owners Club machine, I'll go broke.  If anyone ever makes a good Wheel of Time MMORPG, I'll become a hermit.

Rimworld produces a lot of them.  I tried a naked brutality run in arid shrubland not long ago. A deer incap'd me in the middle of a cold snap.  I regained mobility and staggered back to my shelter, but died of hypothermia literally at my doorstep.  On a different playthrough, I ignored a fire because I was in a mountain.  Never noticing the ancient danger was surrounded by steel.  A centipede and two scythers are no joke on day 20 of a start with nothing.  Thank goodness for those traders eh?

Honeynut cheerios.  Obviously.

headb

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 30, 2018, 06:53:25 AM »

Hello!

I am headb, or as I put it as my username in this forum.

I'm not yet that good with forums but with all your help, I might be?

I'm also new to rim world, so I'm relying heavily on all help I could get.

My daughter showed me this game and showed me the awesome reviews it got, so here I am! Help? Har har.

EstherCole

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 30, 2018, 08:58:08 AM »

Hello!!
I am Esther Cole from California.

Adsixnine

• Drifter
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 31, 2018, 12:01:35 AM »

Nice to meet U guys  8)

pripankaj

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
    • buy linkedin endorsements
« Reply #804 on: September 05, 2018, 01:57:55 AM »

thanx for sharing..
Similarly as you have an individual profile page, numerous organizations speak to themselves on LinkedIn, as well. Like Facebook mark pages, you may take after the action and updates of organizations on LinkedIn.

Howzit_Toyah

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 05, 2018, 09:40:03 AM »

Wow. I'm five years late to the party.
What the hell have I been doing with myself?

Anyway, my name is Howzit, and I've only gotten into this game about a year ago. I've always liked video games, and I'm not picky. Ask a random person on the street about a game you know of. If the person hasn't heard of it and it's well put together, then chances are I'll like it.

Now for the questions!

"What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?"
I was looking for something new to play on Steam when I saw the cover image for Rimworld. What kept my attention to the game was seeing one of the colonists getting pegged by the exploding turret in the trailer. Then there was that same colonist sleeping on the floor in the middle of a wedding. And finally the montage of epic battles at the end.Then I read the top review on how someone set a raider's head on fire, replaced his arms with robot claws, made him die of weed, then feed him to the colony's wolves. I was convinced.

"What's your favorite other game?"
That's... honestly a good question. I'd honestly have to say Hyper Light Drifter, Minecraft, or The Elder Scrolls IV.

"Most embarrassing gaming-related story?"
This one actually occurred last week in RimWorld. I had one of my colonists, a girl with a shotgun and steel plate named Mora, man a mortar to defend against a siege. After the raider's mortars exploded, and after they were routed by my troops, I forgot to take Mora off the mortar. She was there for 15 hours. She had a berserk rage and almost doomed my wounded colonists. ...And she fell asleep after punching my doctor in the face.

"What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?"
Honey Nut Cheerios with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

scorlew

• Drifter
  • Hide in Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 05, 2018, 05:38:06 PM »

It popped up as a suggestion on Steam, as I play other sim/civ builder games.  Started playing these nearly 30 years ago on the original IBM PC.  I still play low-fi, or totally non-graphics stuff if the game itself is good.

Used to play MS Flight Sim obsessively until I got my RL license.  Only thing on Steam that I've logged more hours than RW is Civilization.  A few years ago I found a web site that emulates old MS DOS games and have resumed playing Empire.

The usual gaming overruled RL stuff.  Nothing terribly funny.

No opinion since I can't remember the last time I ate cereal.

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

scorlew

• Drifter
  • Hide in Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 06, 2018, 01:09:50 AM »

Hello, I'm the newest member of the group, please welcome me. :)

Welcome, me.  Now say good night Gracie.
Send lawyers, guns and money. 
                           -WZ

poika22

• Muffalo
  • Refugee
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 07, 2018, 02:49:43 AM »

Hi everybody.

I have 300 hours in this game. I'm still playing vanilla. I'm yet to look at a wiki, a guide, any youtube video or twitch stream. I also haven't made it to the spaceship or whatever the end goal might actually be, it's still a mystery to me. I play permadeath and always get wiped out eventually, though my current save is doing better than ever with 14 colonists.

So I probably won't be visiting the site, because there's still things for me to discover on my own that I don't want to read about. But hi anyway  ;):D

catter

• Planetologist
  • When there are troubles, get a bigger tool...
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 08, 2018, 04:04:43 PM »

Welcome, me.  Now say good night Gracie.

Was that a George Burns and Gracie Allen reference?
GM:You are starving in this cold wasteland. Your team lies in waiting for supplies in your small cavern. There is a fire and th-
Me: I summon bigger fish.
GM: But you can't!
Me: Don't care, there is always a bigger fish to fry...
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56