Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPine

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I forgot.  Probably from Youtube?  I've known about Dwarf Fortress for awhile due to my love of roguelikes, so maybe from a DF player that branched out?  The steam store claims Rimworld was released in 2018, but it feels like it's been around for at least a decade.  How long was EA?

-What's your favorite other game?
I have 537 hours in Rimworld as of this post. 

If we're going by playtime, that's topped by Stellaris (1k+ hrs), Caves of Qud (800+ hrs), Fallout 4 (750+ hrs).  Skyrim too, if we combine the hours from multiple editions.  Of those, Rimworld is the only one I keep coming back to.

If we're going to count time NOT spent playing the game, such as messing with mods, and consuming/creating community content, then Rimworld would easily come out on top. 

If we're counting games that I will keep coming back to every few years no matter what, then only Space Engineers, Darkwood, and Super Hot share a spot with Rimworld.  The Elder Scrolls would be on here too, if it weren't for save bloat/save errors, which even the best SSDs can't fix.  Elden Ring will probably wind up on this list, along with the "perfect roguelike" which I have yet to find.  (If you have any leads on the "perfect roguelike" feel free to PM me.)

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
When I post some advice on the internet, only to later find out I was 100% wrong.  Luckily, selective amnesia prevents me from knowing how often this happens.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Ezekiel, followed by Grape Nuts, followed by those large shredded wheat things.  I can't tolerate cane sugar/corn syrup, and I like my food as filling and nutritious as possible.  Literal crunchiness is desirable, but optional.

TheInternet

Hi. Can't post a thread. +1.

TheInternet

When exactly can someone post a new topic? I registered yesterday and still nothing. Kind of odd for a forum.

Ragtatter

Hi all. I'm a silly dork who would like to learn to mod. I know a little bit of Java, which I'm thinking is pretty close to useless here.

Xeonen

A YouTube channel called Sseth

These days, I guess Destroy All Humans 2

I got banned (perma) on Steam Rimworld Forums. This would be the most embrassing one. A psychologist, who told his clients to control their anger failed to do this himself. That is a story.

I don't eat cereals.

------
So, is it possible to get my account unbanned. I have no intention to socially interact on forums anymore. However, they are an invaluable asset when a technical aspect of the game fails and I love Rimworld. I do accept what I did was unreasonable.

My steam ID is here: 76561198009283208

P.S Banning me here else would be insult to injury, please don't, life is hard as it is right now.

lintpuppy

I saw it on Steam and the rest was history

Dwarf Fortress or Leather Goddesses of Phobos..its a toss up.

I spent all my time in college playing EverQuest and not studying and that is why I'm now a fry cook.

Shredded Wheat ...cuz I hate myself

thenightgaunt

I have no "New Topic" button on the forum, on any browser. I can reply, but I cannot create a new topic.
Has anyone else run into this bug?

Xplorer400

Hi! been playing games since Atari 1st came out. When computers hit the 286 stage, switched over to PC and never look back. Found 4x games were my favorite.

Mr. Blues

Major Kong

Hello Ludeon, Tynan Sylvester, hello community.

Rimworld attracted me with the look of its shop presentation - cute ScyFi-Cyberpunk characters teasing me.
I am Atari generation, tabletop roleplaying gamer with Scifi-Madmax-Cyborgs winning over fantasy orcs & elves when I got older.
I knew that I would love or hate Rimworld, be sucked into it or pushed away by the Prison Architect style, so I hesitated a few years. Eventually a GOG sale tempted me to give Rimworld a try and within days I added all DLCs. Hefty price tag for this usually short lived kind of entertainment, but in a short time I have spend a ridiculous amount of hours with this fantastic game, so thank you very much.
What a totally daring concept.
The chuzpe.
Big balls.
Amazing!

Most embarrassing gaming related is my total incompetence as a shooter, I sometimes enjoy Fortnite, but only to chat with old friends, while not hitting the barn door with a shotgun. My hands can shovel manure all day, but controlling a controller precisely they cannot.
Fav breakfeast cereal is a fresh apple followed by cup of coffee. Crunchy organic honey-oat cereal if I absolutely must name a real cereal.

My favorite other game...of all time, last 10 years or today?
When I count hours spent recently, last 5 years: 7 Days to Die, together with Total Warhammer (1,2,3 all DLCs), Oxygen Not Included, Cyberpunk 2077 as Queen of my Heart.
All time favorites are Homeworld and Civilization, sadly Civ took a fall from grace thanks to its disgraceful AI. Maybe it is my age but waging war on civilizations has never been more obviously stupid than with VI.

Thank you very much Mr. Sylvester for Rimworld, a quite unexpected pearl.

TheSilverMiner

I always watched and seen famous rimworld youtubers such as Noobert and veequeue, for me the game looked amazing, with basics and the stuff you can do in this game, I thought its a good game for me, basically I always liked the idea of playing a Colony Sim game. I saved up 294.00 Turkish lira (Yes I'm turkish and its damn expensive here) and bought the game, now I have a save, crashlanded, Randy random, medival playset.

Stalker franchise and The Forest.

Well, once time I was in a The Forest server, where I had the role of building and finding food for the other players, While I was hunting some deer and boars, I seen a Cowman and armsy (Mutants which they are OP and hard to kill) and While I was fighting to them, I escaped the pack, thinking they are not following me, so I headed to the base with 10 logs only, one of the members said that theres cowman and armsy coming to the base, and guess what? they destroyed it, all of us died and I told them it was my mistake and they banned me from the server. :'(

I'm not a fan of cereals but I think Nesquik is the best?

N3cro0o

Hello everyone, it's just a random stranger from Eastern Europe.

I have been playing various games almost my entire life and I love it. The experience of seeing and exploring new worlds and characters is for me one of the things, which bring me joy and help me relax and clear my mind. It helped me pull through pretty hard times and cherish better. I also found my good friends by playing or talking about them so that's another plus I guess.

Lately I found another fascination of mine, learning how stuff is made. From basic everyday stuff to more obscure rules and items like science, math and everything in this world. This knowledge most of the time is kinda useless but you can name this way a lot of things. That's why I am here. I really want to learn how games work and I think I know the basics. Thanks Unity, you beautiful bastard!

Somewhere in 2018/19 I found a gameplay of a new game and I fell in love in it instantly and somehow by now I played Rimworld for more than 1K hours. I don't know when that happened but ;)

I enjoy many genres but my favorite ones for now excluding Rimworld are Terraria, Cult of the Lamb and Omori. Grind, cute animals and RPG about bad, very bad topics. These here are just 3 random ones, I don't care about genres or anything, if something is good and looks fine I will play it.

I don't know many things but I hope somebody here will lend a helping hand!

Yttakin

Utube Let's plays. You can harvest organs and butcher human corpses in this game, so I had to try it out.

Can't say as most games are different and not comparable.
Best childhood games: pokemon mystery dungeon explorers of sky; mario and luigi partners in time
CURRENT favourite game (subject to change): Fallout New Vegas

When I was a dumb child, I cheated alot to give myself infinite money and invincibility because it made me feel "cool".
Never again!!!

LocalArmsDealer

Hello! I'm LocalArmsDealer, the person that mass-produces assault rifles to sell to allied tribes.

I've always liked planning things out and managing groups, and Rimworld's style looked appealing to me, so I decided to play around a bit. Took a colony or 4 to figure out how to prevent famines, but I got there eventually.

Either Factorio or OpenTTD. I really enjoy the design chains and logistical challenges of Factorio, but I also like the lower-risk gameplay of OpenTTD, so I jump between the two.

Stopped my colony's food production because our freezer was full and started a colony-wide famine that took months (in-game, not IRL) to recover from.

Do muffins count as cereal?

maurafrankline

Hi everyone, it's been pleasure to meet you all. my name is maura_frankline and just recently start Playing Rimworld, and excited to get some tips from here to better play the game. :) Thanks everyone.