Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney372

Hey guys and gals how you doing?

My name is Barney:

What introduced me to rimworld?:
More like who... I played Gnomoria and fell in love at first sight... i was a t a friends the other day who said *hey Barn, how you doing on gnomoria...? you're gonna love this...* so he handed me the lap-top... and regretted it for the next 5 and a half hours :D, so he did me a cd copy (i know, i know... i AM going to buy this game, next week in-fact, so i can keep updated)

Favourite other Gane(s):
Too many to list, but i will mention a few:
Dungeon Keeper (first and fore-most) which is the game which introduced me to this kind of genre... Also, a lot of MMO's (Yes... WoW included!!!)... Civilization games (namely the Civ series, Ceaser and Children of the nile)

Embrassing Game story:
ok.. truthfuly, holding my grudge as long as i have, let me explain... it was EVE online, 2010... my old friend introduced me to it... he got me into his corp... i was his salvager... a few weeks go by and i fell like i'm getting a duff deal... so, i challenge him and quit the corp... he says if that was how i truely felt, he would give me a big send off... He said if i could run a *pipe-system* all the way there and back, in my stripped Domi, he would not only let me quit he corp without re-buff, he would also give me 5 bill isk (i know he was good for it so i accepted)... TWO JUMPS is all i had left on the way back up the pipe... he was waiting for me, with 8 other corpies... i haven't forgiven, nore spoken to him since.

Breakfast cereal:

Has to be a toasted egg sandwhich (ok... get a toasty sandwhich toaster (the one that flipd open/close) butter your bread, but yous 3 slices (dont butter the 3rd... cut a hole into it) place the first slice as you normally would... put the slice with the hole as the 2nd, but a raw egg in the hole, but 3rd slice on, close lid, wait 5 mins... PERFECT soft fried egg sandwhich!

Pictures, none to ad

Mythrell

Heya everyone, might as well do one of these...

So, I'm Teemu from Finland, usually known by my "hacker" alias Mythrell :).

I'm pretty much ADHD in everything I do so mileage on my projects may wary, right now I'm spending too much time making a mod for this game.

Also, I had Rimworld game idea years ago and it's nice to see that someone is making my game. Well, ok, it wasn't exactly this, but close enough :).

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Quill18 is the culprit behind my interest of  RimWorld, my big brother and Jagged Alliance back in 90's is for the second one.

-What's your favorite other game?
I have to say that currently it's Hearthstone. Or maybe Hearts of Iron 3. Probably both. There's really too many favorite games to list if you consider whole gaming history. :)

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
It's probably the moment in CS 1.6 when we were playing official clanbase match and I got -1/12 stats in first half. Then again, it has turned into one of those fun memories so I guess it used to be my most embarassing gaming-related story.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Weetabix, it's not really a cereal.

Random picture of my Hearthstone skill (it's not luck based at all, I swear):

elStrages

Quote from: Tynan on September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM
It's good to have some idea of who you're talking to. So, if they wish, new members of the forum can post here to introduce themselves.

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

I shall start below!
Can't believe I missed this!

Me:
Hi david tyrrell, Uk, London. Avid player and Modder for rimworld that mostest awesomest game ever!
My favourite other game:
anything total war!, although Medieval 1 and Shogun 2 were my favourites.
Embarrassing:
Completely confessed my love for someone who was female and a gamer and in game -.- <- yeah im that guy.
Breakfast:
Well Toast with nutella with banana with a dash of sugar :D
Picture:
My dog in my pants while I'm on the toilet ;)

Happy Gaming

loc978

I've been lurking the mod forum too long. Should probably make one of these.

Hi, I'm LoC978 (just Loc, if you're not fond of numbers). Been playing since Alpha 3.
I live in oregon, out in the woods... though I'll be moving back to the city this year. I'm a displaced semiconductor manufacturing industry electrical worker who joined the US Army out of desperation a bit over a decade ago. Messed up my back and leg overseas, so now I pass the wee hours of the morning when I can't sleep with games like Rimworld (Slow-paced, pausable, playable in bed on my linux box). I'm a child of the 90s, born in the dawn of the 80s.

Rimworld specifically... I think it was an introduction of the pre-alpha on youtube by EnterElysium... who I was watching out of curiosity from a StarMade collaboration with HOCgaming... who I initially started watching for tips on getting a stable orbit without burning all of my delta-V in Kerbal Space Program. But I digress (often).
Can't say I've ever actually encountered another game of this style.

Well, I've already mentioned my favorite voxel-based stuff-building sandbox (in which I totally plan to build a 1:1 New Republic Nebula-class Star Destroyer, because I'm a bit of a Star Wars geek... unfortunately I'm having trouble finishing a little GR-75 Gallofree transport. I did finish a Gamma-class assault shuttle, though!)
...and my favorite rocket science via explosions simulator...
I suppose I could go by genre, or by series... suffice to say, favorites are hard for me to nail down, so...
-Fallout. All of 'em. Except for the one that never happened. They can all be played with a mouse and keyboard. The other one never happened.
-Final Fantasy 4 and 6... also Chrono Trigger. A bit of that is nostalgia, but they still hold up for me.
-The Dark Forces series, all the way up to Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Academy. Best nested title ever, and best lightsaber slash-em-up ever.
-Freespace 2, though I should give this slot to TIE Fighter, without which I never would have learned to used a flightstick... or a 3.5" floppy drive... or DOS.
-Sins of a Solar Empire. It's unique in my experience, though it shares a UI feature with Rimworld and...
-Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance.
...A UI feature that has spoiled me. I now believe a full-map zoom out is absolutely essential to the function of any real-time strategy game. Can't even stand to go back and play Starcraft or Total Annihilation anymore. All that panning! ... and the minimap, ugh.

Where was I? Oh, right.

*deleted paragraph here* ...NSFW, even in text form. Suffice to say it involved my ex trying to get my attention followed by me failing to help defend my roommate's base in a LAN game of Supreme Commander.

When I was a kid, Corn Pops.
When I was in the army, Total.
Now... soylent is the closest thing I consume. That and straight espresso.

Ridiculous pictures from a long time ago in a training area far, far away:

We really did make coffee with that thing.

MyNameIsSpyder

I'm a amateur writer of stories based off of open-ended sandbox games like this one, and am also thinking of learning how to code sometime soon. That's really all. Oh, and I like spiders. Obviously.

Astry

Hi, I'm Ivan. Live in Russia. Work in gamedev (mobile games) as game-designer.
And , of course, I have my own ideas of games too :)

Quote-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I read about this game in one russian game-forum, there were very good opinions about it. 'Twas in spring of 2014, but I bought game only in december lol. I like sci-fi theme in art (I mean movies, games, drawing, books, etc.) and this game has 2 things I like: survival + sci-fi :) Actually, I like everything about space or another worlds.
And also I wanna help this project, at least with tranlation to Russian.Maybe I will try to make mods in future too :)

Quote-What's your favorite other game?
Well, I prefer different indie-games (especially rogue-like) since 2010.
Also I like to play War Thunder (my dream came true finallly: I knocked down enemy plane via tank, haha) and LoL (EUW, "Astrylian", if someone wanna play together,but I should get upwards again, thanks bad promo10 games :/) sometimes, and returned to WoW with new addon.

Quote-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Hmm, it was february of 2010, we were raiding in WoW with my static 10ppl. One day I went to birthday party of my friend and skipped raid-time,cause I was too drunk and forgot about this. Embarrassing totally, cause I was raid-leader of my static :< And our tank disappointed in me, fortunately for a few days only :D

Quote-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
The best is this one! Corn for the Corn God! Breakfast of the Chosen!

QuoteAnd ridiculous pic for ya :D Even two!

Every...fcking...game: enemy team and my team  (translate to English)

TheSilencedScream

I saw mention of it once on Prison Architect's Steam forum, and I'd already seen (briefly, since it was finished already) the Kickstarter page. I'm a HUGE fan of management games of this nature, and I knew I had to try it out.

Chrono Trigger. AAA games today STILL pale in comparison to many of the games of old, and Chrono Trigger is one of the games that I simply can't get tired of. If you haven't played it, I'd highly recommend getting an SNES emulator and trying it.

I don't think I have one... :/

Cinnamon Toast Crunch, hands down.

Indeed, good sir. This image was on the building next to the hookah bar that I used to frequent. I'm not sure how much silver it cost.

Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Kegereneku

Hello everybody

Random causal event in the working of the universe. (a video of Scott Manley)

Reality (yep, the IRL one)

In the very hard and unforgiving Operation Flashpoint I choose to pilot a transport helicopter containing most other player, then my connexion crashed, upon reconnect they banned me.

"Country Store" or "Country Crisp with strawberry"

And/or put up pictures, as you see fit.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Vexare

Hello, I'm Jules - or "Envie" - or "Vex" in most games I play.

Being a girl-gamer, I've found not many of my fellow female gamers enjoy RTS Survival or FPS Survival games which are two of my favorites. I also love the traditional fantasy games and MMO's that tend to draw a bigger number of women but have moved away from that genre recently after years of it and being pretty burnt out on the whole thing.

Here's my answers to Tynan's intro questions:

I actually read about Rimworld in a post somewhere on Reddit with a list of "Best City/Colony Builder Games for 2015" or something like that. I was immediately hooked when I took a look at some Lets Plays. I watched Cohh Carnage play through his 'tutorial' sessions and loved it! I've been searching for a good solid RTS colony or city builder for awhile now but frustrated at the lack of good ones. I think the first RTS I ever played that had me hooked for hours on end was Age of Empires. The most recent one I loved was Anno 2070 - a great futuristic colony game. But those games lacked the human AI factor ... the sim-personas I had always wanted for storytelling. I'd rather tell my own stories as they develop than have the game dictate that. I love sandbox games for that reason.

My all time favorite game is Fallout 3. Yep, I'm a die-hard post apocalypse survival fan to the core. I'm pretty sick of everyone overdoing the zombie theme though ... can't we just have a good nuclear-wasteland survival game that's like Mad Max meets Fallout meets Firefly?? :)

Rimworld satisfies my need for doomsday survival quite nicely - I love it!

This is a tough one since I haven't played a lot of multiplayer games in the past year or so other than some dabbling in 7 Days to Die and the other zombie games. I did accidentally leave my teamspeak mic on one time and could be heard by my entire gaming guild using the toilet and singing while doing it (bathroom right next to my bedroom and desk) ... that was pretty embarrassing but that was years ago in an MMO I shall not name haha!

NONE! Breakfast cereals are for sneaking a bowl of your kids favorite nasty flavor late at night while staying up way too late playing Rimworld! Breakfast of champions is strong coffee and a Tex-mex breakfast burrito Austin style!

My five year old making perfectly OCD rows of color coordinated carpeting in Minecraft. A chip off the old block! <3

[attachment deleted due to age]

Macgyver16502

My name is Brian, I live in Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh.
I'm a director of IT at a manufacturer, as well as being self employed...

I like to watch playthroughs, and first looks from Paul Soares Jr... He started Rimworld, and I purchased it before the end of the first video.
     Wow... That's hard.
     Railroad Tycoon Deluxe (Yup, I started in DOS 3.0)
     Add in just about anything Sid Meier had a hand in.
     Wing Commander series
     Most of the Star Wars series starting with X-Wing
     Most Star Trek games (I'm a scifi fan, sorry)
     Morrowind series
     Baldur's Gate series
     Lord of the Rings games (Most)
     (there are others...)
     I blew off a date with a very nice young lady, in favor of staying up to play Knights of the Olde Republic.
     The kind that is room temperature and contained in a flat cardboard box. Covered with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, and bacon. Accompanied by a nice glass of Scotch - also room temperature.

eddyvegasgames

Hi, I will probably never post on these forums again, but I wanted to com by and say thank you.

I'm reaching a stage in my life where I have 40 game icons on my desktop and I don't feel like playing any of them. I was starting to think I don't love gaming any more. Thank you for proving me wrong.

Saw the game on a friend's Twitch channel, went, man, this looks cool. Got the, uh, demo version, started playing. What followed was 3 days of pure gaming addiction. Forgot to eat, etc etc. Came up for air long enough to come by here, and buy the game, as I have already gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment and gaming bliss.

Thank you for getting rid of the Z-level.

Thank you for the work you did on the graphics, the waving grass, the bolts of lightning.

And thank you 1000 times for the Xcom-style fire propagation, and aiming mechanism. It brought a tear to my eye. So great to see my guys shoot each other etc.

Thank you for just having a few factors to deal with. There are a lot of factors, but just enough.

Having said that, this game still needs a lot of work, research in particular. As it stands, it's like, 'hey we need research in the game, so here's some stuff', whereas it needs to be a driving force behind the evolution. That's what research is for, to open up possibilities. Make the bench cheap, give the player a 'guns or butter' choice right away, and expand from there, opening up new weapon/building/production choices. It's the only major flaw I can see with the game, although I could go on with the minor ones, lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you.

Pursuit

Watched some game play from Martysgames, couldn't get enough of it, which led me to buy it for myself. I love the level of decision making and personalizing that are available in it as well as the risk of disaster at any moment.
-Why do I play video games?
Introduced to gaming by my father at a young age on Atari PCs and consoles and never let it go. Good memories then & many more since!
-Why do I make videos of game play?
I found a way to work around a bug in the PS3 version of the Fallout 3 DLC The Pitt. Wild Bill's sidearm would fall through the floor & I discovered a route to get over the the map boundaries in order to retrieve it. I posted a lengthy explanation of how to accomplish this. A few days later I went back to try and clarify what I had said and found that my explanation had been replaced by a video that was much easier to follow. Slightly annoyed by my hard work vanishing and realizing that I could have done that if I knew a little more has led me to do tutorials and general game play videos on my own YouTube channel.
Avail Pursuit's YouTube Channel
-What's your favorite other games?
Fallout 3 for the freedom to explore and choose your characters progression in both abilities and moral dilemmas.
Resident Evil 5 because killing the undead never get old and was a great coop game.
Minecraft because creating without limits is a new experience every time.
-Other games I am spending a lot of time with lately?
7 Days To Die & Space Engineers are both great for the freedom to create and conquer in an unwieldy environment.
Not sure I've had a noteworthy one yet, guess I need to try hard.
The kind that fuels me for a long day of gaming.
Avail Pursuit's YouTube Channel
Now get on with your Pursuit!

TigerRenko

HI,

My name is Ranko. I have to thank Law school for being immensely boring, because I ran away from it to become theatre actor. Ever since that moment I've been doing nothing but dreamjobs. After 25ish years in gaming jounalism during and interview with enterpreneur I became game designer. Then, after few years and several games I've realized that Game Designer is huge thing and started calling that myself less often (nowadays I prefer writer for games). My first passion, in fact, is writing and I've published several books.

- What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Well as kid I had lot of a) building bricks, b) action figures, c) vehicles they could ride, d) pieces of cloth (for floors) and e) misc toy items. So my fav game was to do what I do in Rimworld - build a base and narrate their drama... I was avid player of colony games ever since and intermediate DF player. For RimWorld I was interested when I realized it combines colony management with drama directing AI (my fav area of research).

- Why do I play video games?
To learn something new. To live the experience. Believe it or not, I learned English from old ZX Spectrum games and a lot of history starting from strategy games (like Desert Rats).

- Why do I make games?
For the same reason I guess... I want player to learn something from having experience.

- What's your favorite other game?
One of my all time favorites is Midwinter... Exploration games are special sort of experience I guess...

- Most embarassing game-related story?
During high school I lost some good friends over "Republic of Rome" feud. The game's intrigue spilled over to real life and we reconnected only recently....

- What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Eggs are the best breakfast, imho...

It's only fair that ridiculous picture is one of me (from my theatre days)

MrSurvivor

Hey,

I'm MrSurvivor (T^T I want a better username) and I really enjoyed playing Rimworld!
I'm currently in my freshman year and I'm a big fan of all management games and strategy games.

I have been playing video games since I was like 6 and immediately once I played my first in-depth video game (sigh it was Roblox) I immediately got hooked onto video games. Though I can get emotional without video games (withdrawl :( ) I can get by. Most of the time.
Why do you play video games? I really like the idea of being able to control the world instead of just looking at it *cough*television*cough* I really enjoy strategy games and games that are generally in-depth like the AOE series and X-COM and prison architect and stuff like that.

What introduced you to rimworld? My friend told me about it and it seemed very fun and after playing it I really enjoyed the complexity of it.

What is your favorite other game? Idk I don't really have a favorite though I am a really big fan of management games as well as in-depth strategy games (IT HAS TO HAVE RANDOMNESS AND MONEY IN IT)

Most embarassing game-releated story? Well I don't remember alot but in Rimworld I forgot to add a growing zone inside after I killed the one outside and everyone starved XD

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? Idk but I like fruit loops and apple jacks the most...maybe the cinammon toast crunch is good too. But don't trust me. I barely eat cereal as is.

What do you do when people troll you in video games? Troll them back obviously... :)

rakkaus

muuu, muu muuuu (Hi, i am a muffalo.)

- What introduced you to RimWorld? muuu (Don't remember.)

- Why do I play video games? mumuu, muu (Addiction, basically.)

- Why do I make games? muuuuu mmu muuuu (To create something cool.)

- What's your favorite other game? muu muu, muuuu mu-mu-mu, muuu (i am a big fan of "MU Online".)

- Most embarassing game-related story? mumumumumumu muuuuuuuuu (Censored.)

- What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? mu (Grass.)