Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yarkista

Quote from: nomadseifer on September 28, 2013, 02:52:33 AM
Hello from Texas.  I'm a gamer who doesn't play that many different games.  I usually find a game I like and play that for a while.  I'm married, have a kid, and am in graduate school so when I have time to play I like to jump into a familiar and rewarding experience.  I've recently been researching to find that next Great game and came across Rim World.  It really looks up my alley so I'm hoping I get a chance to try it out soon. (Kickstarter Alpha access I assume?)

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
RPS Article.  FTL is the first and only rogue-like game I've played and I think its fantastic.

-What's your favorite other game?
Fallout 2, Minecraft, Transport Tycoon, Civilization, Final Fantasy Tactics, Agricola, Crokinole. 

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
When I was 10, I sold my top-loading NES and all my games to my friend for $20....

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Classic Frosted Flakes.

Heres a photo of my son. 

Welcome to the forums!

Rainy

The rock paper shotgun article made me aware of this game specifically, but i've been a fan of the dwarf fortress style game for years, many many years, too many years lol :P  I've pretty much played them all.  From the old days of Dungeon Keeper right up to Dwarf Fortress, Gnomaria, Towns, Prison Architect etc etc.  I love the way you are not always in direct control of your minions or followers.  You just guide them and they complete the tasks as they see fit.

The big one for me would have to be Dwarf Fortress,  I tried it so many times at the start and gave up because of its massive learning curve, but once you start to master it there is no other game as complex as DF.  I played a lot of Gnomoria to, around 200 hours, it's great fun, very much like Dwarf Fortress but without as much depth or a learning curve steeper than the face of Everest.

Not really a story but it's embarrassing to admit and it is game related.  I have played around 400 hours of the Sims 3 lol.  Yep I have all the expansions and still play off and on once in awhile.

This one's easy, it's Quaker Porridge Oats.  Followed closely by Shredded Wheat, not that new age hippy crap like the mini SHredded Wheat.  I'm talking about the big brick sized stuff.

Random stuff about me.

I live in the UK, in a county called Cornwall. It rains here, it rains a lot.  I work self employed as an Engineer and play drums,Bass,Guitar as a hobby and thats about all I have to say about me lol.

Can't wait to get my hands on RimWorld,  DF with a Sci-Fi setting? Yes f***ing please good Sir!

Jakadasnake

Super legit breakfast cereal answer. This dude could probably stomach the muffaloaf.

Yarkista

Quote from: Rainy on September 30, 2013, 09:24:59 AM

The rock paper shotgun article made me aware of this game specifically, but i've been a fan of the dwarf fortress style game for years, many many years, too many years lol :P  I've pretty much played them all.  From the old days of Dungeon Keeper right up to Dwarf Fortress, Gnomaria, Towns, Prison Architect etc etc.  I love the way you are not always in direct control of your minions or followers.  You just guide them and they complete the tasks as they see fit.

The big one for me would have to be Dwarf Fortress,  I tried it so many times at the start and gave up because of its massive learning curve, but once you start to master it there is no other game as complex as DF.  I played a lot of Gnomoria to, around 200 hours, it's great fun, very much like Dwarf Fortress but without as much depth or a learning curve steeper than the face of Everest.

Not really a story but it's embarrassing to admit and it is game related.  I have played around 400 hours of the Sims 3 lol.  Yep I have all the expansions and still play off and on once in awhile.

This one's easy, it's Quaker Porridge Oats.  Followed closely by Shredded Wheat, not that new age hippy crap like the mini SHredded Wheat.  I'm talking about the big brick sized stuff.

Random stuff about me.

I live in the UK, in a county called Cornwall. It rains here, it rains a lot.  I work self employed as an Engineer and play drums,Bass,Guitar as a hobby and thats about all I have to say about me lol.

Can't wait to get my hands on RimWorld,  DF with a Sci-Fi setting? Yes f***ing please good Sir!

Pass me a pasty mate?

Good to have you here, welcome.

silinox

Hi laddies!

I guess the main interest comes from RPG which then sent me into the direction of Dwarf Fortress and it's stories. Which really made me excited, but then the realization of how difficult the game actually was made me end up reading stories about it and fantasize (hueh). I am really interested in world building and the randomizing effect the game has. Something about the fact that I can make a world how I want it is very appealing to me. I expect to see great stuff from this game which can possibly pave way for a new spark of interest to this kind of game!

enystrom8734

A welcome to all new peeps. Have a muffalo shaped cookie :D
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Semmy

Searching for a replacement of the long lost DF feel the game has come to a stall.
Stonehearth is to far off.
Ultima online isnt what it used to be before they canned the powerhour

Ultima online, Eve online, Dwarf Fortress, Open Transport Tycoon, Fallout 1&2, Jagged Alliance 1&2, Factorio and Iracing

I coppied top40 songs on my rambo cassete back in the old c64 days. Still waking up with tears and screams in the middle of the night.

No breakfast. People shouldnt wake up at a time when food is still called breakfast.

Furthermore what can be said about me.
I'm autistic wich causes me to overdo stuff. Played eve online with 6 accounts. Stopped the game because it became too much like work.
I really love carpfishing. The only moment the voices in my head stop and i can actually enjoy the piece and relax on my stretcher.
Besides that i do a bit of mtb.
But my biggest passion is testing games. Ive been a councelor in ultima online YES i had a blue robe d-;
Ive been alpha beta and whatever testing for about 16 years now. Managed to brake quiet some games over those years and find nice bugs. Been a moderator of alot of webforums/games i tested and always enjoyed he fun..

Ow and for those who remember first season Planetarium. -=Concordium=- second season WAC We Are Concordium.

Damm im getting to old for this shit d-;
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Rainy

Hey Semmy,

I just played the demo of Factorio, WOW!!!  Awesome game lol, Right up my street.  I play Minecraft modded with factories and stuff and love building complex machines and systems.

I'm buying Factorio first thing in the morning :D

Semmy

Quote from: Rainy on October 01, 2013, 08:07:09 PM
Hey Semmy,

I just played the demo of Factorio, WOW!!!  Awesome game lol, Right up my street.  I play Minecraft modded with factories and stuff and love building complex machines and systems.

I'm buying Factorio first thing in the morning :D

If you got a partner tell her im sorry d-;
Edmund Burke

Rainy

hehe,

Well I'm supposed to be working from home today,  so far I have managed to set up a simple factory system :P  Not quite sure that's the work i'm supposed to be doing :P

Semmy

Quote from: Rainy on October 02, 2013, 06:51:03 AM
hehe,

Well I'm supposed to be working from home today,  so far I have managed to set up a simple factory system :P  Not quite sure that's the work i'm supposed to be doing :P

Hehe.
Well getting paid for playing factorio not bad.
I just finished setting up 300 ovens.
Still lacking enough steel plates though
Edmund Burke

garg1

Hi everybody, my name is Michael.
I'm from Düsseldorf, Germany (so please excuse some minor mistakes in my texts :D) and 23 years old.
I am studying computerscience in the city's university for now six semestres.

I randomly browsed Kickstarter today for promising projects and found RimWorld.
I currently DIG Prison Architect so the games (current, as i understand) design drew my attention instantly.
After seeing the video and reading the info i decided to trust this project and spend money.
I LOVED Bioshock:Infinite (another reason to trust Tynan).
As mentioned i play Prison Architect (love the last update) a real lot (another reason to like RimWorld).
I like Kerbal Space Programm, but it needs more updates before i play on.
At last, i play a lot DotA2 with my friends.
I pre-ordered SimCity 5 -_-
No cereal. I prefer german bakery for breakfast.
And an egg.
Allways an egg.

-Random Stuff
- I developed with Unity4 for a short time (team split up after fighting all the time)
- I was part of the "Experimental Testing Team" of Kerbal Space Programm for a short time (had to stop because i would have failed some classes if continuing)
- I love Pen&Paper RPGs
- I write a lot, currently on an urban/modern-fantasy- and a classic-fantasy-setting

- Last but not Least: *_* I LOVE MOVIES AND TALK ABOUT THEM ALL THE TIME *_*
...allways an egg.

enystrom8734

Wilkommen!

It is good to have more people! Have a cookie (with egg)!
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Yarkista

Welcome all new users to the forums!

Semmy

wilkommen welcome welkom добро пожаловать 歡迎 everybody
have a good time and enjoy your rimworld ride
Edmund Burke