Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

It's good to have some idea of who you're talking to. So, if they wish, new members of the forum can post here to introduce themselves.

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:
-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
-What's your favorite other game?
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

I shall start below!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Basics of me:

I started making paper games as a small child. At age 15 I started with digital game design by making levels for Unreal Tournament. Within a few years, I was doing contract level work for companies like Epic and Groove Games, and making non-Unreal indie games (which were all awful). In 2008 I graduated university and got a job as a designer at Irrational Games. I worked there on the BioShock PS3 DLC and on BioShock Infinite for four years. In February 2012, I left the company to return to Ottawa. Then I wrote a game design book called Designing Games and started working on game prototypes. The first four or five didn't work, until I tried a colony sim. That worked; that's what became RimWorld.

I created RimWorld :P As for this style of game, I played strategy games and management games since I was a little kid. It's always been there for me.

Deus Ex. Yep, still hasn't been matched in terms of world development and story.

Need to think of one!

I'm a frosted mini-wheats guy, usually. But I eat a ton of breakfast cereal (usually while coding, seeing as I work at home), so I have broad tastes in this department.

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

WolveNZ

Well, Saw it while scrolling though on Indiedb, and thought to myself 'Hey, that looks cool!'
Ive always liked creating, planing and tactics (to a Point) that always made me stay away from the Hardcore games in each catagory, Interested on how Rimworld fits into it all!

Well, Right now playing though STALKER:CoP with MISERY 2.02, but I used to drift around the older DoW games, CoH when it came out , used to be a big CnC Junkie (Red Alert was my first modding experiance) and also floated around Crysis for awhile and ArmA Series

pretty much every time their is something that is unexpected I jumped, dosnt matter if its a Horror game, or if its just something that surprized me, I jump at least 6" off my chair ^^

never really ate Breakfast Cereal, but I do every once and awhile have weatbix, loaded up with butter and irradiated in a Microwave!

UsF

This is UsF from Germany.  :)

Reddit. Plain and simple. Someone posted it in one of the subreddits that I follow and I got excited by its look and its description of features. I enjoy complex games or complex simulations where you have limited influence, but it can create a butterfly effect on the whole system.

I enjoy playing many games. The thing I like most is complex systems and trying to beat them. For example Hearts of Iron, Europa Universalis, Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect or stressful ones like the Men of War series. My favorite game would probably be Men of War Assault Squad. I do not enjoy playing pure Roleplayinggames, because I am not a story focussed person. I like good mechanics.

Everytime I go into a competetive multiplayer game, I most likely will throw a rage-fit if the game feels unbalanced to me. That or I quietly ragequit. I think I ain't bad, but I always feel I want to be the best and it doesn't go well, since you can't be the best.  >:(

Meals start at lunch, not breakfast!

Hypolite

Well, I should probably tell you first that Hypolite is not my real first name. I'm a French guy who got the chance to come to work in New-York thanks to her wife and I'm enjoying it right now. I've been fascinated by video game since my early childhood, and thanks to always being one game system generation late, I have that strong retro mindset where looks is less important than actual gameplay, even though I don't dislike beautiful good games.

My gaming tastes range from arcade racing to german simulation games, with RTS, platformers, tactics in the middle. You can find out more on my Steam profile. The games I like the least are games emphasizing individual skill, reflexes and/or a lot of thinking more than intuitive solutions. If I had to name my favorite studios, I'd say Bullfrog, Introversion Software and Arcen Games. I also like almost every production from Valve from the early days of Half-Life to the more recent Dota 2, but who doesn't?

I'm making game prototypes myself, 1 per year on average, always web-based since I'm a professional web developer by day. I'm also the administrator of a small french community talking about video games, books and movies, mostly sci-fi and fantasy.

I came across Rimworld thanks to JP Le Breton (also known as "vectorpoem") who works at Double Fine, another mighty fine game studio and whom I follow on Twitter. I'm looking forward helping as much as I can, being with the game or anything web-related (like this pesky encoding problem).

xTAMERx

My name is Tamer, i*m from Germany

Saw RimWorld at moddb. i always look for interessting games, cos most are similiar, sp i*m looking for unique ones.
and your one looks unique  ;)
i play since C64, so i*m evertime open for new styles of games^^ and RogueLike is one of my favotorites

favorites are maybe over 100, but i like RPG-, Simulation-, Strategy-Games most.
At the moment i*m playing EU4, Dominions 4, Starsector and Sots2.
Rome 2 is in trash for now :)

i was afraid of Maniac Mansion ^^

coffee  :D

Castaras

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I'm subscribed to r/basebuildinggames on Reddit, and they linked the video. It looked interesting, and I saw there was a chance of testing it out, so I materialised.

What's your favorite other game?
Difficult question. Civilisation or Myst would be the two I'd say if I'm pushed, although Minecraft should be up there as well. Other games I enjoy are Dungeon Keeper 2, Anarchy Online, the Might and Magic RPGs (7 and 8 in particular), and the Sierra city builders (Caesar, Pharoah, Zeus, Emperor).

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
My boyfriend and I were playing modded minecraft. I had heard him giggling for the past hour, and asked me to come over to his base (we have teleporters between the two). I, being a fool, suspected nothing, appeared at his base, and was instantly launched onto and off various jump pads inspired by Portal to a square room underground, with the word "HI" written in torches on the wall. That isn't the embarrassing part.

The embarrassing part is when I tried to get out of it and got lost and ended up trapping myself in his nuclear reactor. Whoops.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I don't eat cereal nowadays. Porridge is where it's at, with lots of honey and some cinnamon.

enystrom8734

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I read the article on Rock, Paper, Shotgun about RimWorld and was inerested. I love sandbox base building games, especially sci-fi oriented ones. I love to build bases and design intricate traps (so much I will play them downtime while Im working >.>)

One of my absolute favorite games is tech modded Minecraft. The machines and all the glorious contraptions and things that can be made! Besides that pretty much Dwarf Fortress, Factorio, and KSP

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I have a horrible memory and can't honestly recall being embarrassed playing any game  :-[

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I dont really eat breakfast, but when I do its generally Cap'n Crunch if I decide to get something
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

mori

Df, ofc. Df has blown my mind years ago. But quickly (well if 2-3 years is quickly) i got tired of aching fingers.
It's nothing more disappointing than developer deaf to community.
Overall i was playing games my whole life, and still do. The more freedom you have, the less linearity,
more randomness and immersion the better. I'm lost in real world and always in search of substitute
in vg world. But there's always something. Like take Heaven&hearth for example.
They made one of best every made online survival hardcore experiences, despite all lags, bugs, and exessive
amounts of naked maniacs trying to knock you out on the ground just to take your pants, that game was best.
You could literally hide in woods like, forever. But. The server on which you play on is not infinite like minecraft.
And the resources are limited (and despite you can find more, the best spots, mines and etc are usually controlled
by large groups of vicious people). Thus making it impossible for new players to enjoy like if they were here for the first
time. World is a garbage dump filled with ruins, rivers are never safe because any time you use boat you can bump
into some troll that is such of a high level that will one shot you. And the community in not really that bug.
And then, developers make a sequel - Salem. With ugly 3d graphics, retarded player attributes system and other
(like pay to win donations) unpleasant features. Personally i believe they sold the game soul. Because seeing
how different they are, i doubt the developers actually made the first title (it seems game created itself,
using their hands if you know what i mean). So ok, they made second installment, transfered part of community
to it, but those like me who got nausea are left behind... Playing on the only one old server.
Threads with request of releasing private server for the 500 people that left are popping up every week.
No. Why not? Game is abandoned, they have new community there why not what's the problem?
No. Just no, deal with it dirty peasants that were supporting our game for so long, just eat the leftovers
from our table and keep your mouths shut or you wont be able to do even that.

Ok. Grand Theft Auto 4. There is a good example of relations between Rockstar and Boris Vorontsov
(the guy that made ENB series). He made the graphics attachable dll that adds effects like
anti-aliasing, ssao, indirect illumination and etc, he made insane amount of work releasing enb optimized to
work with different games. The interesting part is Rockstar response on that.
If you remember, game never had mod support. You always had to hack the insides (like the file that contained
the hashes of all other files and if one is off table the game loaded default unmodified one (which is still mistery
for me where they had a DUPLICATE files for that case)), you had to convert all stuff to be able to replace
models, textures, etc. And on top of all that "respect" for modders community that still keep GTA:SA alive, they
released "patches" for the game. Patches which structure was always the same 1-2 minor (nearly idiotic) bugfies
(like a bit bugged shadows on leafes that i never even noticed before they mentioned it), and "fix" preventing
modded files from work (until hacked again), and a special feature (every time more and more complicated to solve)
specifically for breaking ENB support on that patch. Spit in the face, that's how it's called.
Nowadays i play Dota 2, and just to understand the scale of developers (Valve! not one guy like schema) ignoring their
community you can proceed to dev forums and see by your eyes, thousands of threads never responded by any representative.
Every patch they made, every update is a disappointment. What have been 2 years ago when they built game WITH community,
has gone.

That wall of text has nothing to do with you guys) It's just that i had to spit it out somewhere, and done it here for some reason.

I don't believe such has been released yet.

Yarkista

I'm Yark, I found this game on RPS.

elemenofi

Hello, I've played countless hours of DF and I would like to see more games like these. The space setting seems really nice and the story generator thing too.

Whatever I can help with, I will.

Ogaburan

Saw it on RPS and decided to dig some more information on my own...

I will define myself as a turn based strategy fan, but not a fanatic. I enjoy good games.
Best games on my list:
1. Baldurs Gate
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. Civilization 4 (With mods! Vanilla alone wont deserve this spot)
4. Dominions 3 (4 is too alpha to judge but looks promising.

(on teamspeak)
Recently I joined an Arma-II/III clan, and they asked me how old I was...
I thought them somewhat immature while we were playing.
It was more "chaotic" then i was used to form the milsims, and much more drama.
But only then I realized I was playing with a bunch of 15yo... with really deep voices!

You take a corn flake and put it on a cheeseburger.
DELISH!

TacoStorm

Worked with Tynan previously, read up on RimWorld, and was interested instantly.

League of Legends. Currently sitting at Gold II and hoping to end this season at Plat V or better!

FFX-2 has, in my opinion, probably the best combat system of any FF game (other than tactics). And I strongly defend it on those grounds!

The kind that's free, and preferably has milk. Hell, I'll even take almond milk if that's all you've got!

halorocks22

I saw a comment about RimWorld on Reddit and I generally love these type of strategy games where you control a band of people to build, fight, farm, and live.. Although I never did get far in Dwarf Fortress :p
My favorite other game would have to be Haven and Hearth. It's a indie game made by a great little company called Seatribe and this game in my opinion is really great. It's set in the Late Iron Age and features (Germanic?) lore/mythology and it's a survival MMORPG with permadeath. Plus, it's free!
My most embarrassing gaming-related story would have to be when I was playing SS13 and when I first started, naturally not knowing anything, I would hit people with things accidentally while trying to help them...
Frosted Flakes. No arguments.

Kalesin

I am a working as informatic catalan.

I've done a bit of everything, "I am jack of all trades, master of none" as they say where I live.

I read a lot (science fiction, fantasy, mythology i anthropology), I love documentary films of the conquest of space, I love sushi, Japanese culture, the malt whiskey, cats and dwarfs (dwarves who dig tunnels, not Tyrion Lannister  ;D )

-What Introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
It was thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, one of my daily reads.
If I could only choose one it would be Dwarf Fortress, the best stories designed generator. Although the truth, I'm a player of Lord of the Rings Online and Crusaders Kings 2.
Winning a game of Starcraft (the first) in numerical inferiority, being completely drunk.
Coffee, but for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, ...

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.