Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LupreacalHorus

My introduction:
Employed male from Croatia, working in IT, been playing managment/RPG's games for most of my life.
Rimworld just eating my free time, can't remember last time that some game got me hooked so much!!

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
   Quill18 let's play introduced me into game, tried pirated version (as there is no demo/trial to get from official page :)), was blown away with playability and quality of game in "alpha", community support and developer and his relationship with community, so i common sense took over so i made long term investmend and purchased Rimworld.

-What's your favorite other game?
Fallout 1/2
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Fell asleep after WoW raid, left TeamSpeak on, snored so bad...  ;D
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Whole grain cereals

jasonbarron

Hi Everybody, Happy Easter!

My name is Jason, I live in a small town in Montana USA, I'm in my forties and I've been gaming for much of that span. I own and operate a large construction company and have a wife and kids, so I don't get a lot of time to indulge in my favorite hobby. My favorite game is a really hard one to answer...Riven, the original Tomb Raider, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, X3: Albion Prelude, all tied for first, maybe? I have a broad range of interests & genres.

I'm not sure how I stumbled across Rimworld, and I don't really know much about this particular genre, but from the video and several discussions I've read, it looks very fascinating. I'm strongly tempted to dive in. What say you, kindly Rimworld community?

njePPoPandA

Hi guys,

Thanks for that game. I just found out about it. I played it now for 1 hour.
It is just hilarious, what happens and how close you are tied to the colonists :-)

A short introduction:
I am 38 years old, happy with wife and two kids, living in Berlin/ Germany and i have enough time to play games after work and family life. If not, i just stay longer awake ;-)

Searching on the internet after having played four hours of battlefield (i am generally not into FPS, but sometimes it's fun) and thinking about the hours and hours i have lost playing banished lately and then i found this thread, where i read about Rimworld: http://www.reddit.com/r/SurvivalGaming/comments/2ibfdf/postapocalypticscavengingcrafting_survival_games/ Then i followed the forums, watched youtube videos and read some stuff in the wiki.

Then i thought: Shut up and take my money!

As an 38 years old gamer who has already played on a good old Commodore C64 i can't really tell what my "favorite other" game is. I played so many favorite games, but i think the most time consuming game in my life was (modded) Minecraft, which i played A LOT the last four years. First single player, then on public and private servers.

Minecraft is a phenomenon which i just can't describe: It's Minecraft.

My "ultimate" List in slight chronological order:

Ultima V (C64)
Pool of Radiance (C64)
Baldurs Gate (PC)
Legend of Zelda (SNES)
Actraiser (SNES)
Fallout 2 (PC)
Neverwinter Nights (PC)
Civilization II (PC)
Age of Empires (PC)
Anno 1404 (PC)
Bioshock (PC)
GTA San Andreas (PS2)
Final Fantasy 12 (PS2)
Fallout 3 (PC)
TOS: Skyrim (PS3)
Age of Wonders III (PC)
Banished (PC)
Divinity Original Sin (PC)

I think some of the raids on Minecraft anarchy servers, when my entire base was griefed and broken down, while i was asleep in real life, were the most embarrassing moments in my gamer life.

Croissant.

eberkain

My name is Jon, I'm from Alabama in the US and have been a gamer since childhood.  I attended college for software engineering and worked on alot of smaller projects.  Really interested in building a couple mods for Rimworld after all the things I've seen from other modders. 

So, I was playing alot of Banished and reading forums, researching how to build a better city, and I kept seeing RimWorld mentioned.  I looked at it and honestly the character artwork was a big turn off, so I went on to something else.  I got to looking for a new game to play after building several big towns in Banished and read up on Dwarf Fortress, StarBound and several others, and I kept seeing RimWorld mentioned.  I read some more about it and when I saw it had no DRM and I could share one copy with my wife I bought it instantly.  When I saw it was like a 50MB download I was thinking, I dunno, might have been a waste of $30.   14 hours later my wife and I were passing out in front of the computers.

I've had high hopes for alot of games.  I really wanted to get into WildStar.  In recent memory I can say the thing I enjoyed the most before getting into Banished was GTA5 on the PS3, I had alot of fun and was completely surprised how well the story was done.  Other than that, Modded Skyrim, if you could only have one game, that would be the one for me.

Once playing Anarchy Online with some friends, IX, we were in this dungeon and near the end of it was a little room with some vendors, a rest area I guess.  I kept saying, they are not flagged the same as a town vendor, we could attack them, maybe they would drop something good.  I said something to the effect, "I will attack and if it seems like a normal mob we all got for it."  I pushed attack and fell over dead.  Looking at the damage log, I hit it for a couple hundred damage and a reflect shield hit me for like 10,000 damage. 

I just tried a peanut butter chocolate cereal, OMG!

A_Deer

Hi all, A_Deer here!

I like to listen to YouTube commentary while I work. I was searching for my next "fix" when I happened across RimWorld.

At first I judged the game too soon, I didn't watch any game play and though eeh, this game looks like crap. Well I was sorely mistaken! This game looks amazingly fun!

My favorite games of all time to this day, X-Com Apocalypse and Fallout Tactics, in real time mode, none of that turn based crap. This reminds me of both games and looks to go into great detail!

I'm really looking forward to buying it when I get a chance, I'm sure I will sink way too many hours into the game! Just to prove how excited I am about this game, I have been in 4 alphas and this is the first forum I have signed up for!

Gherkinhead

I was actually introduced into this game by Blitzkreigsler, I was casually scrolling through youtube in my spare time and came across Rimworld Alpha 7, so I watched that season and thought, it was such an awesome game I have to get this and here I am   :D

oooh my favourite other game was Rome 2 Total war, but now since Total War Attila was released on my 15th Bday, I was ecstatic!!!

I don't really have a MOST embarrassing gaming related story....

and my favourite breakfast cereal is the one and only Weet-Bix  8)

Havan_IronOak

At 58 I'm probably older than most of you. Hell! My favorite sweatshirts are probably older than a good many of you!

I've been a fan of simulation style games since I first played Sid Meier's Civilization (before they started tacking numbers on the end of it)

My favorite games have been
Civilization I II III IV & V
RailRoad Tycoon III
Everquest
Oblivion
Silent Hunter 4 & 5
Crusader Kings
Dune
Caesar III
and  on and on.

I'm mostly retired now but used to work as a systems architect in charge of designing and building a multi-national, multi-currency re-insurance accounting system so I know a bit about systems programming and testing and releases and bug fixes but most of my experience was in heavy metal (main-frames et. al.)

I did it all but toward the end I was primarily curmudgeon-in-chief.

I tend to dive in to anything new headfirst with both feet. That may sound inelegant but I learn a ton fast, make some dumb mistakes, ask a bunch of dumb questions and very quickly become quite expert in the details of the things that I'm working with.

My apologies in advance if I strike anyone as having what this game terms an "abrasive" personality. I am better than I used to be but sometimes I forget to ensure that the brain is engaged before putting the mouth in gear. Or in this case the post.

We used to have a "get to know you" game where I worked called two truths and a lie.

My go to set was...
I had a pet crow when I was young
I've twice escaped terrorist attacks
I dislike anything chocolate

PotatoOnStick

Hi, my name is PotatoOnStick my real name is "Eelco", I live in The Netherlands and i'm 17 years old. I also study laboratory basics at this time and i hope to go into engineering  from the lab side one day.

I found rimworld when i was browsing through my Youtube inbox and saw a spotlight of it from who i can't recall but after that i waited a little and kept a close eye. Now i finally bought the game and i feel like i need more time to play it now.

I tend to play a lot of strategy games but to be fairly honest i tend to not really care about genre yet i do prefer games which require some form of thinking or the possibility of different tactics

Oh dear god there you ask me something.. I feel like i made so many blunders over the years that its hard to recall. Yet for example just a day ago i accidentally walled myself in with no way out in a sandbox MMO to which i'm still waiting to find a way out...

Cereal? i don't eat cereal not even at breakfast.

Badger41

Hi All,

I'm George. Been playing computer games since my first computer (TRS-80 with a whopping 4 color graphics card) and I was in my thirties at the time.

I was introduced to Rimworld by viewing a quill18 youtube video. I was immediately hooked.

Most of my favorite games are strategy turn based, but I have a good number of real time games also.

I think One of the best features of Rimworld is the priority assignment by character.

I am currently playing version 0.9.727 and enjoying it very much. Unfortunately, I deleted my original email, sent an email the help account last night to resend the email, and look forward to Alpha 10 soon.

Follow Up: Received response very quickly and now enjoying Alpha 10.

Galleg

Hello all!

People call me Lui, but my name's Lluís (you can't pronounce it). I have born in Mallorca and I actually live in a very little village called Moscari. Tough I'm seriously thinking on inmigrating to Canada if I can adapt myself to cold and the darkness. I have studied Humanities (specially litterature) but I had many crazy jobs just not related with my studies.
I have been playing video games (that's how we call them here) since I coud afford a megadrive And played The "streets of rage 2", "Golden Axe", and some others. But my favourite game of all times its allways been Metal Gear Solid (the first one), It was (is) such a revolution, I coudn't belive it!
But I have to say I prefer playing strategic games like Age of empires II (maybe my second favourite game of all times).
I was introduced to Rimworld thanks to a youtuber (not sure if Eckyman or Enterellisium), and I just loved it since then. I think 30 dollars it was a bit expensive but I don't regret now).
Right now I'm trying to play on alpha 10 but it's not working too well ( Ican't install mods).

I don't know what was my most embarassing story of Rimworld , probably my ineptitude when I first installed a mod (never done it before Rimworld).

Allow me to say thanks to the moderators and Hi (again) to all you!

Piet.Lu

Hi folkscolonists,
I'm Piet Lu, 22 years old, living in the northeast of Northrhine-Westfalia, Germany (near Bielefeld, if somebody knows it) and studying computer science.

On youtube, I follow a guy called meldrian who recorded videos about RimWorld. Well yea, at first I was like "Oh, pretty nice, huh, interesting gameplay, nice graphics, I'll buy it, when its final. 30$ isn't that cheap" And after a small amount of time, (it was alpha9, that meldrian played), i was like "oh my, you have to buy it - right now." - so I bought the game last friday (alpha10f ) and don't regret it :)

I haven't bought many games, since I haven't got that much money and don't want to have too much games that I'll never play.
I have got:
- The Binding of Isaac Wrath of the Lamb
- The Binding of Isaac Rebirth
- Trackmania United Forever
- Trackmania2 Stadium
- Spacebase DF-9
- Portal 2*
- Super Hexagon
- Minetest**

*= as a steam gift, didn't buy it by myself.
**= didn't buy it, since it's for free.

I really like all of them, but play mostly the games that are underlined. (the rest only sometimes).

My most embarrassing gaming-related story? One day in 2012, I was playing TMUF for too long (from 3pm until 2am) and had to go to the hospital afterwards, because I hadn't enough oxygen in my blood anymore :D
And in 2012, I became member of 3 different Trackmaniaclans that all broke up some weeks afterwards... yeah, great :D

And I don't eat cereals at breakfast.
At last, I want to thank the dev team for this game, keep up that good work!

LumiCrow

Hi, I'm a 25-year-old guy from Finland who is studying to be a wilderness guide. I didn't go through all the introductions here but I guess most people are doing inside work, usually maybe something IT-related. People in my field don't usually spend a lot of time on the computer but I like both outdoors stuff and gaming! I especially like resource management and strategy games.

I think it was Dwarf Fortress subreddit, someone mentioned it in a discussion. As it happens, Dwarf Fortress and Firefly are two of my favourite things, and something that is heavily influenced by both... Well, I was sold from the start.

In terms of spent hours, either Dwarf Fortress or Crusader Kings 2. In terms of tears shed, Mass Effect series.

When I was new to DF, I didn't at first realize that the drawbridge has an option to retract, rather than raise. Imagine my horror when I thought I was safe, only to see my drawbridge just disappear when a zombie horde invaded. I just sat there to see my dwarfs get slaughtered. Not my strongest moments.

I'm a muesli dude.

Frankenbeasley

I'm Frankenbeasley (not my real name) also commonly referred to as FB or Beazles.

I'm English, male, and very much the wrong side of forty (so you buggers can get off my lawn right now). I was introduced to RW by a friend who was playing, but my association with colony games goes back all the way to The Seven Cities of Gold on the Atari 800 (in the days when floppy disks really were floppy). I do not work in IT and my technical skills are non-existent.

Other games? Too many to mention, really, but Mass Effect & Dragon Age, The Elder Scrolls titles, Mercenary, Elite, the Total War series, The Sims 1 to 3, and Football Manager have all taken too high a percentage of my life not to be mentioned. Also, for many years, any game which required me furiously to mash buttons on a Competition Pro was a guaranteed hit.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my best mate and I stayed up for 24 hours straight in order to complete all 100 levels of 2 player Bubble Bobble on the ST.

The only truly great cereal is Grape Nuts - if your teeth are up to them.
You live and learn. At any rate, you live.  - Douglas Adams

jptplays

I'm Jason (otherwise known as JPT).

I'm American and 31 years old. I've been playing Rimworld since December of 2014 and producing videos of my gameplay since that same time on my Youtube channel. I don't exactly remember what introduced me to the game but I wouldn't be surprised if it was through a fellow Youtuber.

Other games that I enjoy include Minecraft, Cities: Skylines and Starbound.

No real embarrassing gaming story but I make all of my failures viewable on a daily basis. My streams typically put something odd or embarrassing on display pretty often.

I used to love Lucky Charms but as I've gotten older Frosted Flakes and Raisin Bran have taken over my cereal wheelhorse.

Other info...

I've been involved in the radio industry for more than 15 years and I just recently stopped working on-air and working from home in a support role. I am involved in social networking, graphic design, web design, voicework, commercial production, IT and various other skills that I have learned over the years. I've been involved in many on-air projects had a morning drive radio program for over 5 years.

I'm about to be a father very soon. My wife and I are expecting a son in late June.

Thanks so much for such an entertaining game and a place to have our voices heard.

Wild Card

Hello I`m Cosmin in 27 and live in Romania. I have just started playing Rimworld a few days ago and i cant stop :)  . I was introduced by a you Youtuber that frequently does let`s plays of Rimworld.

Other games...basically strategy and some management and RPG `s  (Witcher 2 is my all time favourite)

Embarrassing stories...well too many to tell :p

Just wanted to drop in and say hi and a big thank you to a great game!