Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C4ptMiles

- Who is this Captain Miles?
It's an Austrian medical student which spends most of his time with volunteer ambulance service, fire service and boy scouts. Besides that I love sports (climbing, hiking, gym,...) and gaming.
And YES there is enough time for a girlfriend too.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I struggled over it on Steams Green light and immediately became a backer at KS.

-What's your favourite other game?
I would say I'm addicted to Minecraft, which I play since the first alpha, Kerbal Space Programm and Dwarf Fortress.
Besides that I really like Evil Genius, the Emergency-Series.
And i hope for Star Citizen.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I bought SimCity 5, after it turned out to be total crap...

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cereals or Bacon and Eggs (I know, very unusual for an Austrian)

-Random Stuff
- I'm playing The dark Eye and Shadowrun (both Pen&Paper) over Teamspeak on the internet.
- I had a Munchkin Card Game Round for longer than two years.
- I don't try to be a nerd, but it doesn't work really well.^^
Captain Miles; but you can call me Captain.

Astrakhan

Greetings.

Who am I? A semi-literate JD/MBA working in strategic marketing after a rotten two years in private law practice which proceeded a stint in a level 3 disease research lab--a very short stint.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general? I happened across dwarf fortress some time ago, loved it, played enough sim city through the years to make the time I spent in college look paltry, and found RimWorld on Reddit and was more than intrigued. In fact, this is the first game I've felt like kickstarting and trying to contribute to in a forum manner.

What's your favourite other game? Hard to say. Sim City through the years has been awesome, but for the recent debacle. Seriously, who creates sim city but limits it to the size of a postage stamp? /rant Though I'm seriously late to the party, Dwarf Fortress might be my new favorite game; Boatmurdered was simply inspirational.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story? Like the fellow who proceeded me, I spent money on Sim City 5. Other than that, I suck at Call of Duty-esque games. I'll blame partial color blindness or something ridiculous like that, but honestly, I just suck.

Best breakfast cereal? Anything where the milk tastes better at the end than it did at the beginning.

What else? Dunno.

christonian

Who is this Christonian?
Canadian Youtuber that over this summer thought he would go crazy and get married, buy a new house and get a puppy.

I found it through bay12 forums and as you guess I love the community and dwarf fortress style games

I love this area of gaming you can see it on my channel, my current addiction for rogue-like is ADOM

I bought Stronghold 3, after it turned out to be total crap... lol it has gotten better with patches but still...

honey nut cherrios or granola

-Random Stuff
Board game nut most recent is back into catan and playing with my new kickstarter board which is awesome
- I have a indie focused youtube channel of over 2200 subs and 660+ views and love every minute of doing that

Semmy

Quote from: C4ptMiles on October 04, 2013, 06:11:01 AM
- Who is this Captain Miles?
It's an Austrian medical student which spends most of his time with volunteer ambulance service, fire service and boy scouts. Besides that I love sports (climbing, hiking, gym,...) and gaming.
And YES there is enough time for a girlfriend too.

I struggled over it on Steams Green light and immediately became a backer at KS.

I would say I'm addicted to Minecraft, which I play since the first alpha, Kerbal Space Programm and Dwarf Fortress.
Besides that I really like Evil Genius, the Emergency-Series.
And i hope for Star Citizen.

I bought SimCity 5, after it turned out to be total crap...

Cereals or Bacon and Eggs (I know, very unusual for an Austrian)

-Random Stuff
- I'm playing The dark Eye and Shadowrun (both Pen&Paper) over Teamspeak on the internet.
- I had a Munchkin Card Game Round for longer than two years.
- I don't try to be a nerd, but it doesn't work really well.^^

ow shit you just reminded me of one of the most awsome series "emergengy"  la mod here i come..

there is a new version coming soon btw
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Yarkista

Welcome to the forums Miles, Chris and Astra.

Turbo

Who is Turbo?
- Gamer and motorcycling enthusiast. Office worker.

What have I been playing?
- DotA2
- Prison Architect
- Terraria
- Project Zomboid

How did I find Rimworld?
- I found it on Kickstarter and love indie games
Whatever happens, happens.

WhackyRavenLand

I was introduced to RimWorld when I read an article at a site here in Norway, gamer.no. I've played Prison Architect and FTL for some time (though not much lately).

-What's your favorite other game?
Anything that tickles my fancy is a game for me. Not too picky on genres, but some of my favourite ones are: Doom, Dragon Age: Origins, Diablo 2 + LoD, Mass Effect, Prison Architect, FTL: Faster Than Light, Sleeping Dogs, Half-Life, Total War series, Command & Conquer series, Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate and many more.

Lost at Tekken 1 to my 5 year old cousin and his frantic buttonmashing many years ago.  Flashbanged my entire team in America's Army tournament match, caused us all to get dead and lost the match.

Not much of a breakfast kind of guy. Whenever I wake up in the morning I'm more like: "Crap, need to wake up, need coffee!"

About me:

My name is Robin Batchelor. 24 years old from the southern parts of Norway. I'm 6'5'' (1.98 m) and 242 lbs. Been around computers for the most of my life. I enjoy metal and rock music, misc games, movies and books.  Dead tired of a lot of the x3 game devs out there, which is why I tend to look out for more indie games as of late.

I've struggled through the past few years thanks to a serious back injury, but things are looking up for now. Used to work security at clubs, bars, concerts and festivals. Not a big fan of religion what so ever.

It's 1.40 am at time of writing, which means my head is about to explode.

RB

Medi

Hi there, I'm new as well. I just heard about RimWorld today from a gamer friend since he was freaking out that an artist/art team was needed. I'm a Pixel/CG artist for a site called Solia Online, I have no idea if my style would work but I'm here doing some more spelunking. Overall it looks like a pretty sweet game and am excited to test it out when public alpha goes live eventually.

I'm not much of a gamer and spend most of my time banging against a wall in console games (co-op portal is truly horrors to watch with me), but do enjoy creativity based PC games such as Spore.

Also, Cinnamon Toast Crunch is obviously the best.

garg1

A warm welcome to all new members and one Willkommen for C4ptmiles (yaaay more german-speakers)
...allways an egg.

daft73

1. Who or what is daft73?
   Hello's all. As a long time fan of gaming, and proud father of 2 boys 4 & 15 ... I always find myself looking for games, and I came across this fine piece of work through Quill18's you tube channel.

2. What games am I into?
    Well, I play many genres...a few that come to mind are:(in no real order)..Jagged Edge, Bethesda games, Baldur's Gate series, Civ                             
    series, Total War series, Terraria, Age of Wonders series, Europa Universalis series, Fallen Enchantress series, Legend of Dungeon,
    and Rogue Legacy. There are others but these are within the last few months.

3. Most embarrassing gamer moment?
    A long time ago...in a FAR away galaxy when I played Dark Age of Camelot (blows cobwebs and dust off my memory)..Was set in         
    charge of a raid I had NO IDEA about. My friend who was leading had wife aggro or something and had to go, leaving me to take care
    of it. Good Times. I remember the moment well..instantly getting 20 or so whispers from the raid team all 
    saying..."So what now!!??" um,..well, ya so. He never returned...my connection went dead conveniently.  ::)

4. Favorite cereal?
    That is a toss up for me. It is either Cinnamon Toast Crunch, or Frosted mini wheats. Breakfast cereals have been a morning, noon,
    and night affair for me. cheers mates!

Matelass

Who is Matelass?
French single 30 old years gamer, i'm working in cartoon animation industry (2D-3D / CG renderer - compositor - FX)

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
SteamGreenlight news, then, i've backed on kickstarter.
Thinking of a DF's game in SF colonisation background since a while, i HAVE to support you !

What's your favorite other game?
-Dota 2
-Simcity game
-Minecraft
-Gnomoria // Towns // (few) DF, but angry about graphical ! (i'm a graphist dude !)

I bought Assassin creed 3, day one, play 3h, get boring...
The day after, found Gnomoria on desura and i've play 30h in 3 days.
I've chosen my side.

big coffee mug, with french "PRINCE" (chocolate biscuit)

Sh1ken

Who is Sh1ken?
Chilean. 22 years old. Computer scientist (at least that's what my university says).

I love indie games, FTL is one of my favorites games of all time. I read that RimWorld took concepts of FTL and apply it in some strange way I was amused. I also love Theme Hospital and the ideas behind DF and PA.

- Diablo II.
- FTL.
- Braid.
- Minecraft.

In a LAN Party I did an ace 1vs5 on de_nuke on CS 1.6 back in 2007... How that's embarrassing? The bomb has been planted and I died before I could defuse it. How? I killed myself by jumping from very very high.

B-B-B-B-B-Breakfast? I don't know. What's Walter Jr. having for breakfast today?

Pheanox

Hey there, I'm Fiona.  I'm a 30 year old gamer/student in Oregon.

I did a random search on Kickstarter for nifty games, and found this one.  I saw it seemed similar to Prison Architect in art style (I know there is a difference between the two!).  Loved that game, and I love simulators.  Loved what I saw!
-What's your favorite other game?
Oh man, um... I love the TES series, especially when modded with immersive/survival stuff.  Morrowind is still my favorite, followed closely by Skyrim.  Hoping that Skywind mod makes it.  I've put way too many hours in to FTL and Prison Architect.  Tropico 4 is awesome as well.  Been on a Terraria kick lately too. Sim City 4 and Civ 4 are also favorites.
I love Life cereal! (I don't know what's wrong with me)

Haplo

Wo are you?
I am an electrical engineer from Germany, who likes to play a few games as long as my wife doesn't say otherwise  ;)

I found this game in the steam greenlight section, looked into it on kickstarter and am right now a backer of this interesting game. What really interested me is the graphical similiarity to prison architect. I already like the game but found the story a bit...

Hmm, that one isn't easy to say. I like a lot of games. Mostly RPGs, but also a little Simulation, Action and Strategy from time to time.
Right now my favorite would be most likely Assassin's Creed 3, Skyrim, Deus Ex and X3.

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Sorry, but I don't know you well enough to tell you my embarrassing stories  :P

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I needed a while to find my favorite, but now they are chocolate-cherry flavored oat flakes ;D

Tailed

*coughs lightly, tapping the mic* Is this thing on? Yeah? I'm on? It's LIVE? Ok, ok, got it!
*coughs again* Right, erm, hiya. I'm Tailed, or Martin, whichever you prefer, Dutch gamer and curious bastard, with a weakness for good stories and cute characters (both together and apart ^^;; ), and with a nasty habit of remembering far too many needless details... Anyway, on to the obligitary questions.. *shuffles a few papers*

I found RimWorld thanks to curious browsing on Kickstarter, and the sheer potential drew me in. That and the possiblity of building a giant, self-sustaining colony. Always DID prefer the base-building and tech-ing in Age of Empire over the fighting, but I digress. To be honest, I don't think I ever played any of the spiritual predessors of RimWorld, no FTL (tho I WAS eying it on Steam) not PA. DEFINITLY no DF (tho I heard of it).. I think only Theme Hospital would count.. Does it? *shrugs*

THAT, is a question for the ages.. Sure, I have a preferance for RPGs, and some open-world games have sucked hours from my life at a consistant pace (tbh, Skyrim is the only one I can shout out from the top of my head tho ^^;; ), but I've also played hours upon hours of multi-player games on the consoles I've shared with mates. Not to mention the online MMOs and League of Legends (please don't eat me ówò).. So, err.. I play everything I find interesting (tho keep me the FRAK away from horror and tension/anticipation-based games, they seem to play on my vivid imagination more then I'd like >.> ) and a lot of things in between.. The ones with a good story or characters have drawn me in the most tho..

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
FAR too many to count. From freaking out at escape sequences, to screaming at my screen beacuse of scare/tension sequences to even being scared half-to-death while watching a friend play.. I think it was Resident Evil 4..
Let's just say I don't keep a list, because otherwise the list would be longer then I care to know ^^;;

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
*coughs weakly* Bread? I don't eat breakfast cereals.. I eat bread.. Mostly with chocolate sprinkles..