Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJsarge

Ladies and gentlemen, I am AJsarge, and this is my intro post.  I tossed my cash into the kickstarter after quill did his video.  The similarity to dwarf fortress with most of the complexity and a gui to boot is huge to me.  The reward-to-price ratio was so awesome this is actually the first project I've backed.

This is an oddball in my collection of games.  I was a big RTS person back in the Tiberian Sun days of Command & Conquer, but transitioned into mostly console FPS when that series went into hibernation after Generals. At the same time, I was and still am a huge fan of flight arcade games like Ace Combat and flight sims in general. Despite the overwhelming popularity of Halo, I found myself back on computer around the time Crysis rolled out and have never really transitioned back.  Arma 2 before DayZ was glorious, and I put thousands of hours into that game before finding a real job with the USAF.

I avoid Apple products as much as I can, and the spread of my computer hardware is from a desktop custom built to run flight sims and Arma 3 at full graphics, to a ruggedized touch-screen laptop I take with me on the road, and very recently a Surface Pro with Windows 8.

If RimWorld gets touch screen support as simple as enlarged gui elements and the ability to move the view via left-click and drag, I will be very happy.  Same thing if any screen size is supported, with multiple monitors automatically detected, and the GUI is kept within the main monitor while a second is used for a map view of the current location or an extension of the main view for 3+ monitors.

walti921

Who Am I??
I would tell you if i knew I promise. But in short im in my mid twenties I live in New Zealand and I am a pharmacist.

How did i find rimworld?
Saw it on KS and being a lover of DF and other rogue like games i immediately had a melt down and backed this game....

Favorite game... Thats a hard one i tend to play alot of RPGs have spent an unhealthy number of hours on MOBAs and lose a large chunk of my life every time a new civ game comes out. If I had to give a title id say Alpha Centari.

Embarrassing gaming related story.
When I was but a young boy selling my soul to diablo 2, I cried like a little bitch when I got hacked and lost my immortal kings set... The trauma still lives with me to this day.

Breakfast cereal preferance: Sausages

Dejix

My story starts on any normal day where I prograstinate (avoid programming a prototype). Drawn away from getting more programming done, I find myself sinking time into viewing internet content relating to games (or market research as I like to call it). At some point, while spawning multiple tabs for efficient viewing, I following a link from IndieDB to a game called Rimworld. Thus I find myself here excited to see how it turns out as I have lost a good chunk of my personal time to games such as Dwarf Fortress, Prison Architect, and a plethora of random content rogue-likes.

I cannot call upon a favourite game as I have no universal title for such a thing. I play such a large volume of video games that a single favourite is impractical. I can however give an honorable mention to Half Life as it was the first of its kind in character and story development.

Embarrassing stories must be quickly forgotten in my life as I cannot recall anything worthy of sharing.  ;)

The best breakfast cereal, with milk (or whatever), is Honey Nut Cheerios. Nothing beats that sweet after cereal liquid left in the bowl. On the other hand, the best for snacking is Mini-Wheats. I'm especially a fan of the brown sugar or maple frosted ones.

Zootboy400

I'm Zootboy

How I found about Rimworld-
Browsing Kickstarter
Haven't backed yet but hopefully will in the near future :)

Most favourite other game-
Kerbal space program

Most embarrassing game related moment-
Forgetting to reload.....

Best Cereal-
Wheat-bix

Random facts!
-I'm colours blind
-I'm from Australia
-My name is Paul

Rimworld looks like a great game  :D

Zootboy400
YouTube Account- http://www.youtube.com/user/Zootboy1

IdeaBoy

Sup, my names aaron pretty young and i like games but i'm too young to create em but full of ideas to help make games get to their full potential and the most attention and i rarely eat breakfast and found this game on kickstarter.  8)

Yarkista

Quote from: IdeaBoy on October 05, 2013, 09:43:14 PM
Sup, my names aaron pretty young and i like games but i'm too young to create em but full of ideas to help make games get to their full potential and the most attention and i rarely eat breakfast and found this game on kickstarter.  8)

Welcome to the forums Aaron!

Quote from: Zootboy400 on October 05, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
I'm Zootboy

How I found about Rimworld-
Browsing Kickstarter
Haven't backed yet but hopefully will in the near future :)

Most favourite other game-
Kerbal space program

Most embarrassing game related moment-
Forgetting to reload.....

Best Cereal-
Wheat-bix

Random facts!
-I'm colours blind
-I'm from Australia
-My name is Paul

Rimworld looks like a great game  :D

Welcome Zoot!

And welcome everyone else, i don't wish to quote every single new person, but the forums are realy growing, thanks for showing an interest in the game and if you have any questions feel free to ask someone or create a topic, someone will get to ya. ;)

Gargrant

I'm Gargrant.  I build AI systems for training and also predictive simulation models of social groups.  I've seen narrative story-teller systems before and I am also really excited about the story potential.  I tend to make my own stories even in games that have their own prescribed story arcs.

How I found about Rimworld?
My friend posted it on Facebook.  I love the idea and the videos to date. 

Most favourite other games?
1.  The Romance of the Three Kingdoms Historical Simulations Series by KOEI.  I've been playing those (and getting trounced by my father) since I was quite young with the NES.  They haven't released one in quite some time, but they ported it to PC and it's my go-to for idle gaming.
2.  Also earlier variants of SimCity - I haven't tried the most recent version due to the widespread bad reports
3.  Mecha games (Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear)- I love customizing the loadouts of the machines
4.  Mount & Blade: Warband - which has enormous potential for greatness but the underlying political-social simulation was too shallow

Most embarrassing game related moment:
- Playing D&D with adults when I was 11 - I ate too many cookies, and had to ... toss them

The Best Cereal:
As someone already said, it is obviously Cinnamon Toast Crunch (assuming you like sugar ... and cinnamon)

Random Facts:
- I dance often - pretty much all the time I'm not working or playing games
- My eyes are different colors, one blue and one green

I am really excited for RimWorld!

Zeiph

Who am I?
Zeiph, I'm a 25 y-o research engineer in mechanics/robotics applied to clinical use.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Well I discovered RimWorld while browsing Steam Greenlight and fell (without contusions, hopefully) on this game. It raised my interest pretty fast because I quite like those kind of games (yeah, sounded more epic in my mind >.>)

What's your favorite other game?
Ah good question, I don't think I have A favorite game as I play pretty every kind of game from mainstream FPS (like the bf series) to RTS (AoE/RoN), turn based strategy/tactical games (Civ,Fire Emblem), RPG, MoBA... And I also play paper RPG with my friends.
But I think I burnt the most time on FPS...

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
The first time I almost beat one of my friend in civ4, and all he found was nuking all my cities just before turning all IAs against me. I never played civ with him again. Because he's a dick.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cheeseburger may be on the top of my list.

Semmy

welcome all to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Read the forum guidelines before you step into the wide world of rimworld
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=122.0
Some of your questions might already be answered within
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=109.0
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

AspenShadow

Who am I?
Haha I'm repeatedly reminded I'm no-one at the moment. I'm 18, unemployed, finishing up my A-Level Qualifications before applying to Uni and I like to think I've had a pretty interesting life.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I discovered Rimworld quite by accident actually. I was referred to Kickstarter (my 1st time using it btw) by one of my favourite LP-ers "Gopher" for another project called "Unwritten: Echoes of Twilight". Out of necessity I've grown to be careful with my money and wanted a look at both the intricacies and potential in both Unwritten and Kickstarter, it's a very nice concept really and I quickly came across Rimworld. I've never been a fan of indie games traditionally; never heard of DF, FTL or PA before this forum, but this called to my nerdy base-building, sim-loving side.

What's your favorite other game?
A loaded question... I don't think I could say to be honest, as I mentioned previously I'm not usually into indie games though I've been an avid gamer and private modder since childhood. God I miss the Megadrive lol. At the moment I'm enthralled in the Mass Effect Trilogy, Skyrim, Black & White 2, Garry's Mod, Sims 3 (reinstalled again lol), and there are some guilty pleasure games coming out soon that I'll likely also forsake study for  :-\

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I'm not sure I have one to be honest, I don't get embarrassed easily. Or at all really.
Still I suppose a constant source of dismay for me as I fail HARD at Battlefield 3, CoDs (even earliest ones) and every shooter which isn't a sci-fi for some reason.

What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Both sad and proud in a weird way to say I'm not usually up for breakfast and if I am I have to skip it to get to college on time. So recently it's been breakfast at Birds or Costa  :P

darthty13

Who am I?
Hi, I'm darthty13. I found Rim World when Quill18 made his video and immediately backed it. I don't usually play these types of games, I usually enjoy grand strategy more, but this game looks great.

Favorite other game?
Probably either Crusader Kings II or Europa Universalis IV.

Breakfast Cereal?
Life, definitely.

Greiger

Who am I?
I am Greiger, I'm a 30 year old college student/computer repairman.  Been playing videogames regularly since I was 8.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Dungeon Keeper was my first, but the most influential was Dwarf Fortress.  I was one of those people that loved games like Warcraft and Command and conquer but I wasn't actually good at it competitively, I would just build these massive invincible fortresses that could never feasibly get built in a real game.
I remember on stage 3 of the Warcraft 1 demo I actually spent days building a sprawling metropolis that took up half the map and actually hit the number of buildings cap.  Good times.

-What's your favorite other game?
I'm a fan of a lot of indie roguelike games, (they're cheaper than AAA titles and usually just as good) but Dwarf Fortress still holds a special place in my heart. After that comes X-Com 1, TFTD, and Apocalypse, Final Fantasy 6, a roguelike game called Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead, and an old space combat sim series called Freespace.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Playing Freespace 1 online.  On a custom mission that I designed.  The map was a basic 2 capital ships duking it out map with fighters and bombers on both sides.  I was flying a bomber and double launched a pair of the big bombs onto my own capital ships weapons subsystem, it blew up soon after.  I was wondering why it was so hard to target...  Made worse because I designed the mission.  Me and my friends all laughed about it at the end though.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Cinnamon Toast Crunch, followed closely by Cocoa Pebbles.  Both no milk, milk just makes them soggy.

Ontogenesis

Evening all, I'm Ontogenesis, popping in to this corner of the internet to say hello.
I saw Mathas's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyRoCJPrQrQ) on the Indie Stone forums and the subsequent Kickstarter campaign. I was very impressed with what I saw so decided to back the project and sign up to the forums. Looking forward to watching the game develop.

My other most frequented game currently is Project Zomboid, of which I am a moderator.

My current favourite cereal (I, also, consume large quantities of cereal. So much so I keep my eating habits mostly a secret) are those little chocolately square hazelnut things. They're delicious.

Mansen

I usually go by Mansen (Part of my lastname) or Illanair (Remnant from my time in WoW way back when). I'm a Computer Science student at the moment.

I spend most of my spare time playing or testing games - It's my hobby. I'm currently a regular beta tester at Paradox Interactive (EU4/Vicky2 specifically) partly because I enjoy bug testing, and partly for the practice for my studies. (Also the Paradox testers are a great little community - Lots of good banter ;D)

IncredibleNode

Hey! I'm nothing new or special just a pixel artist and avid game player such as yourselves! I've done numerous texture packs high res and low for Minecraft, Prison Architect and Starmade and I'm looking for something new! :D
Check out my latest Forum Thread!
Extra Walls suggestion:
http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=253.0