Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash_Crow

I'm 29 and work for a nonprofit.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I discovered RimWorld thanks to the CanardPC forum, halas too late for the Kickstarter... I don't remember how I came to this style of game, it's been years now ;)

-What's your favorite other game?
Several : Crusader Kings II, Mount&Blade: Warband, Dwarf Fortress, Fallout 1&2...
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Mmmh. I have to think about it.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Does an almond croissant from the nearest bakery counts as cereal? :)

Mello Tonin

Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself since I just joined. I haven't got a chance to play yet, but watched several videos on the gameplay, and this looks like loads of fun. I can't wait to give it a whirl, and get to know you guys. I may not have a lot of time to dedicate here, but I will drop in as much as I can. I spend much of my time when I'm not running my business delivering IT Managed Services, playing games & getting involved in projects like these so I'll be around. So...

So I found this while looking at a topic in another forum on general games over at the Dwelverssite. It looked really cool, so I thought I would check it out.
Can't say much about placing favorites as I have a collection that spans decades. Final Fantasy has always been in the tops of my lists like Zelda. I play pretty much anything Blizzard although WoW and pretty much most games of that style I have grown tired of. I need an endgame! I think I could prolly go on for almost an hour of all my favs, so I won't do that to you guys; plus I don't think I have the space.
Getting beat by a kid 5 years my junior at Capcom vs Marvel in the arcades.
This is easy...Frosted Flakes...theeeeEEEEEYYYY'Re GGGRreaT!

Sirhc

Hello, all!

I'm Chris, and I'm 23. I'm a writer. At the moment I don't have any work published. Though that may be the case, I still love writing because the ideas make it worth while. I've actually been playing RimWorld for a while, though this is my first jump into the forums here.

I actually found RimWorld why cruising through Kickstarter. I've been really watching a lot of indie developers with interest because as much as I do love my consoles, a lot of the titles just don't have the spark that I felt when I first saw this game.

I think by far one of my most favorite games has been Rogue Squadron for the N64 and the Gamecube. I've been a Star Wars junkie for life and I love spacecraft so those games hold a special place in my heart. ;D

I can't think of a moment that is most embarrassing for myself and gaming, though I gotta say I'm not proud of myself every time I lose at a Mario title.

The breakfast cereal that is the best would probably be Corn Flakes because you can do so much with them.

Shian

Umm... I think Minecraft was the first build/explore/create game. That turned into Terraria, Mastering Dwarf Fortress, Black and White, Starbound, Don't Starve, A Game of Dwarves, Miasmata, Mortal Online, Wyrm Online, Stronghold, Towns, Gnomoria, Planet Explorers, Warrior Cats: Untold tales, TUG, Dwarfcorp, Frontiers, Stonehearth, Castle Story...
Literally anything and everything I can get my hands on that is an explore, build or resource management game.

I... don't even remember buying this game, but it seems like I did when I was on my "Kickstarter" kick and threw money at anything that would resemble DF. I've been forbidden to play it because I've fried three machines already playing it. :(

Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Currently? Starbound. I also still enjoy Skyrim and I'm currently playing AC4 alongside my boyfriend. Have to go back and play 3+Revalations so there will be lots of that for a while.

Besides frying 3 computers with my love for playing DF?
That would be letting my learning disabled sister borrow my Pokemon Ruby. I told her not to save, which she didn't, but then she loaned it to someone else who promptly saved over my five year save file.  I had pokemon all the way back from Blue, several live tounaments and special edition pokemon that you could only get at events... Didn't talk to her for a while after that and I was mostly mad at myself for 1. giving up something so precious and 2. having to eat that loss like an adult and pretend it didn't hurt as much as it did. Because it was a game for kids.

I hop in between Wheat Chex and Life. Not much else is needed.

Shian

Quote from: Shian on January 28, 2014, 06:18:35 PM
Umm... I think Minecraft was the first build/explore/create game. That turned into Terraria, Mastering Dwarf Fortress, Black and White, Starbound, Don't Starve, A Game of Dwarves, Miasmata, Mortal Online, Wyrm Online, Stronghold, Towns, Gnomoria, Planet Explorers, Warrior Cats: Untold tales, TUG, Dwarfcorp, Frontiers, Stonehearth, Castle Story...
Literally anything and everything I can get my hands on that is an explore, build, survive or resource management game. This genre needs MORE titles!

I... don't even remember buying this game, but it seems like I did when I was on my "Kickstarter" kick and threw money at anything that would resemble DF. I've been forbidden to play it because I've fried three machines already playing it. :(

Depends on what I'm in the mood for. Currently? Starbound. I also still enjoy Skyrim and I'm currently playing AC4 alongside my boyfriend. Have to go back and play 3+Revalations so there will be lots of that for a while.

Besides frying 3 computers with my love for playing DF?
That would be letting my learning disabled sister borrow my Pokemon Ruby. I told her not to save, which she didn't, but then she loaned it to someone else who promptly saved over my five year save file.  I had pokemon all the way back from Blue, several live tounaments and special edition pokemon that you could only get at events... Didn't talk to her for a while after that and I was mostly mad at myself for 1. giving up something so precious and 2. having to eat that loss like an adult and pretend it didn't hurt as much as it did. Because it was a game for kids.

I hop in between Wheat Chex and Life. Not much else is needed.

Vastin

Just got the alpha and have been playing for the last day or two. I'm very impressed so far - looks like you've only got a very thin layer of objects and options in the game so far, but its already surprisingly playable and fun. Also weirdly stable and bug free for an initial alpha release...

- I found Rimworld through my initial interest in Dwarf Fortress, which I played for quite a while before I finally just became too aggravated by the interface and instability. So I've been looking around for various derivations of the game (gnomoria, towns, etc), and this is by far the most promising so far. Most of those other ones have fine interfaces, but are otherwise very shallow compared to DF. Rimworld is the first I've seen that looks like it might provide some of both.

- My favorite other game of all time would probably be the original Master of Orion, though various entries in the Ultima series also figure highly. These days I tend to bounce between high complexity sims and rogue-likes like Tome4, and co-op FPS games like Payday for my fast action fix. But I play a very wide variety of stuff.

- I'm a professional game developer, and have been for a long time. However, I've spent most of my career working for bigger companies, so I can't claim direct credit for any specifically cool project like this. I tend to specialize in game math and balance, though I've spent a lot of time making content for games as well. I've loved watching the indie game development community grow. It allows for much more creative projects than the mainstream industry, which is desperately needed.

- Favorite fictional book: Snow Crash
- Favorite anime: Slayers
- Favorite non-fiction: Guns, Germs & Steel
- Favorite documentary: Cosmos
- Favorite movie: Dunno. Can't choose. Probably something by either Miyazaki or Pixar. Or maybe Blade Runner, or a Henson movie... uhm...
- Currently reading: Various Scalzi novels.
- Currently watching: Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

I've never gotten into game modding before, but I have a suspicion I'll be trying my hand at it for Rimworld. ;)

TimMartland

Hello! Just got the game having watched it for about 2 months (The new Alpha convinced me) and have been playing it. I've been looking around these forums for a while as Guest, but now I'm an actual RimWorld player I decided to get a forum account. I have found the game to be quite difficult and have already died many, many times. :)

-I first saw RimWorld on the YouTube channel Gamersdissent and thought 'Wow, this looks awesome!' I read up on it, followed its progress for a bit and, just now, bought it.

-Favourite other game? Probably Kerbal Space Program or a Legend of Zelda game.

-In DayZ, my trousers were stolen by a band of really creepy bandits. They wiggled for a bit, took all their pants of, teabagged me and left me for dead after stealing all my gear. I caught one later and fed him detergent.

-Crunchy Nut. Is there even competition?

As a side note: Vastin, Attack on Titan is far better :D
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

divious

On my recommended youtube feed was Quill18's lets try rimworld video. Watched it and immediately remembered Notrium. I've always favored top-down games in general as that was what I grew up on. The Red Alert franchise and its following sequels, Disciples/Diablo to a certain extent. The most influential of all was Notrium, Tynan, I hope you've heard of that game as it is on the same level as what you and your team want to achieve.
My favourite game at this stage would have to be League of Legends. Throw in a side order of Minecraft and if this game kicks off, Rimworld will be in it too.
I pretended to be a female player to get gifts. No joke. I actually got put into a GM position because of my little trick.
Rice pops with chocolate flavouring.

RedStorm58

My name is Red Storm 58. I was introduced to RimWorld by a freind. I like these type of games because of the strategy in them. My favorite other game has to be space engineers, great game you should look it up, its only 15 dollars. Was playing slender the arrival when my cat purred. I jumped out of the chair and grabbed my baseball bat and nearly beat my cat to death. Cheerios. I am from london and moved to florida.
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

Yarkista

Well the community is certainly growing, welcome aboard everyone.

Liquidsonic

I was watching YouTube videos and saw this in the suggested videos, watched the video, and instantly loved the game. Not sure where I was really introduced to this style of game, I've always liked strategy/tactical/survival/simulation games.

That is a tough one, I can't really come up with a game I like the most, so I'll just go with a game I have the most hours on. Garry's Mod.

Couldn't really come up with one, but a recent one was accidentally having a colonist shoot and kill another one on accident.

I prefer Captain Crunch, although I like a lot.

Drake Hawkins

Hello Tynan and all you other 'Rim Worlders"  My Name is Drake.  I figured here would be a good first place to make contact with the community.  Now lets see what i can give by way of introduction.  I'll answer your 4 questions and maybe add a few.

"What introduced me to Rim World?"
- Well once quiet evening as I sat at my computer thinking, "Man, there just are not enough good classic concept games these days" I started searching as I had done many times before for something to scratch that itch for some oldies that I hadn't tried.  (when you are searching for an idea it seems its all in getting just the right word for Google to interpret into the actual idea that is floating about your brain at that moment) I don't recall the search string but suffice it to say I stumbled upon a YouTube video ... as they always seem to one video leads to another (often devouring stupid amounts of time).  It was a let's play of Rim World.  (Sorry i don't recall who's video it was at the moment)  5 Minutes into the video and I had to stop it and go find this bizarre looking game. Was it actually even released yet?  All i have to say about the next 6 hours is "Tynan,  It was time well wasted!"

As to the Genre of games...
- I have been playing games now for ... well 25 years.. video games. If anyone else remembers "BC's Quest for tires" or "Q*bert" ... anyway I have been playing PC games for a long time.  The Management/Civ/Sim City Style have been a favorite the whole time. Anyone else grow up playing games on a Tandy 1000 EX ... epic titles like "Trains"?

Favorite other Game?
- I have enjoyed a few MMO style games.  Old Favorite was DAoC. (Before Mythic was sold and the game butchered)
- Until Recently It was my favorite of that genre, but recently a friend introduced me to Guild Wars 2.  Its a new favorite... For this season at least  ;)

Breakfast cereal?
- "Just Right" of course... its not just in the name its in the taste too! simple healthy and tasty!  If you have not tried it Tynan, you should check it out.  I'm sure it sells in the east too.

Embarrassing gaming moment?
- i don't know it it counts as embarrassing, funny, disturbing or just odd but here it is.  I used to love to play DAoC.  It was the best MMO of the pre-WoW era imho. My son, He is now 12 yrs old, was about 3 at the time and his sister was 1.  i had my computer in the basement with a large open play area for the kids.  At times I would play with him on my knee cause he liked sitting with daddy and watching.  I figured that was a nice time and what harm could come of it, right?  Well it seems he really got the idea clearer than I had imagined.  See I played as a character type called a Thane.  They are from the Norse legend based factions.  The Thane Wields a large hammer and evokes lighting strikes from the sky on there enemies.  One day, while the 2 of them were playing with there toys, I go upstairs to the bathroom and when I come back down and this is what I see.   My son noticed my Daughter had turned a bucket for holding small toys into a hat. (He may have helped her get it on)  He, it seems, was inspired and decided to do his first (hopefully last) LARP session.  Off he goes to get his toy tool set.  Yeah you guessed it, he was a Thane! and it seems his little sister was the enemy.  She was crying and he was skillfully banging on her obviously impenetrable helmet! I shouted at him to stop but as kids are he saw right through my attempt to be stern and cover my laughter. I stopped him of course and consoled my now bawling baby girl. (I hope she doesn't need deep therapy from this!)  I laughed so hard and showed my wife.  We have a picture too! Just not hammers included.  Turns out I needed to learn to curb my young boys exposure to violent imagery. :P

I am really looking forward to joining this community and seeing the growth of this game.  I have begun to list ideas that perhaps in time can be passed on to the ideas and concepts team.  I am mostly interested in the tech tree and game play side of things as I have never been a coding sorta gamer.  Having said that it seems I have a new book to add to my must read soon list, Designing Games, Eh?  Do you think I can get a discounted rate if I tell the clerk at Chapters that I play a game that the author made?
Thrive Free

Zaglorah

Hello all !! My name is Pierre-louis, I'm french and I'm 17.

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

I love sci-fi comics, books and game. I found RimWorld on a french forum of Prison Architect. I immediately loved the game.

What's your favorite other game?

The serie of the assassin's creed game
Fallout 1 & 2 & 3 & New Vegas
World of Warcraft ( I had to stop because my father didn't want to pay the subscription x) )
Minecraft
And many others

Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

I forgot my pvp stuff before enter in 2c2 arena. My partner wasn't very happy and I felt very stupid ^^. We lose the game ... ^^

I also helped to translate the wiki :) See you !

Fernbhoy

Howdy all, long time Lurker, first time poster.

Found Rimworld thanks to Mathasgames indy-preview back in kickstarter and haven't looked back since. I'm beginning to see myself more of an indygamer as i seem to be buying 5 indi games for every AAA release :D.

Other games i'm supporting include Prison Architect, Neo Scavenger, Kerbal Space Program, Banished and Project Zomboid and i must say so far i've only ever been let down by 1 indy game which was one of the few to kickoff Steams Greenlight which was Towns.

Hopefully we'll see the game grow from strenght to strength.

Captain Scott

Second attempt at writing this, Windows 8 force restarted my computer to update nothing important at all.  :(

I'm Scott from Montreal (self-employed  8)), and this game rocks!

I used to just use a laptop, so I would usually search for games that I would be able to run well and enjoy at the same time. I previously had the RimWorld Kickstarter page bookmarked, but I just couldn't wait any longer to give it a try! --- This game is everything I've ever wanted. *tear*

I also bought myself a fancy new computer, and it's become a $1000 RimWorld console.

My favorite games:
- Prison Architect
- Project Zomboid
- Fallout series
- Minecraft
- ... and any tycoon-ish game really.

When I'm not trying to grow a mullet, I sometimes enjoy making really bad JavaScript games.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]