Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ppumkin

Hi @all

I am a .NET Software Developer and love going camping.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

It was suggested to me on Steam but I marked it as uninterested. Later I was looking around and trying various games because I got bored of factorio and came across this again. I started playing and got hooked instantly. I am now learning to make mods here

-What's your favorite other game?

All of simulation games.(except farm and construction sim) SimCity2000 being my most favourite of all time, then SimTower, now RimWorld! Kind of pattern there is the graphics dont have to be amazing for me, but not toooo pixelated (like that pixel castle game.. thats too retro) I also love Ultima Online. Go figure :)

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

nah

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

weatabix with cold milk and sugar on top (I am old now so its Xylitol or Honey instead)
'Sharing is caring'
- Unknown

eftwyrd

Ah yes. The classic introduce yourself post. Gotta love these ones.

hello folks! My name is unimportant as what matters really in the interwebs is the annonimity. is what many people would claim. I am not one such person however therefore I shall give you my real life name: Gaius Julius Caesar, Emperor supreme of the mighty Roman empire.

Things i like:
- Military might
- Dictatorship
- Power
- Playing Rimworld from the afterlife

Things i hate:
- Gauls
- Epílepsy
- Getting stabbed 23 times by people
- Pesky raiders and disease in my base

Gremdavel

To RimWorld specifically, I'm pretty sure it was a Let's Play, I think one of Quill18's.  Since then I have my own Let's Plays on RimWorld!  As for this style of game in general, that's a very tough question.  Does Dungeon Keeper count?  Earlier RTS games like the first iterations of Warcraft or Settlers?  Rogue?  Rampart?  Civilization?  RimWorld has elements of them all.  I can't really think of an earlier example of RimWorld's style of implementing all of of these elements together than Dwarf Fortress, though there are still pretty important differences.

Dwarf Fortress!  The game inspired me to become a computer programmer (at a fairly late age for deciding on a career).  I think RimWorld is one of the only really successful "clones" (for lack of a better term) of DF, implementing those important parts like history-specific artwork that make it such a special game, leaving out less important things like water-flow that kill FPS, and adding a wonderfully polished and intuitive user-interface which has always been DF's greatest barrier to accessibility.

Probably just one of the many times my mother or my wife (at different points of my life) has caught me still up after sunrise, hooked on a PC game and not having gone to bed.  Those (many) bachelor years in between are a blur ;-)

Cap'n Crunch.  The regular kind, not Peanut Butter or Crunch Berries.  How is this even debatable?

Dingus

I read a Kotaku article and thought I might enjoy it. I never really got into Dwarf Fortress, but I really enjoy Rimworld.
I don't know. Overwatch? Probably Fallout: New Vegas or something else by Bethesda. I really just take whatever games I can get.

Er... I've never actually lived at a house with internet, so I have to leech of of friends and mobile hotspots and the like. Does that count? Eh whatever.

Hal-os'
lol idk I'm from Australia and we don't have a plethora of diabetes-inducing sweet cereals. I usually eat whatever's the cheapest. Nutri-Grain or something.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

LedgeG2

Hi guys, this is my first post :)

I'm a competitive and social gamer that has recently started twitch live streaming.

Reasons why I love RimWorld:
-Replay Value
   The dynamic storytelling and the rich and well balanced mechanics make every game feel different.

-Strategy
   A good strategy and set of tactics can really increase your chances of surviving in this game. The game seems well balanced enough to allow many viable Strats.

-Adaptability
   Adapting is everything. Many bad RNG (although sometimes it's rediculous) situations are not so bad if the strategy is adjusted accordingly.

-Challenge
   The game is really hard. But everytime I lose, I can see places where I went wrong and know that I can improve. After many games I can really feel the improvement, and it feels great.

-Dark story
   I love that this game has a dark side and explores the extremes you would go to keep your colony alive. Makes for great storytelling, even for people who have never played the game.

Questions
-What introduced you to RimWorld?
I saw a streamer playing it once, looked into it and eventually downloaded it myself.

Favourite of all time is FF7. I like many games though. Recently, probably Terraria.

Was playing doubles in a smash 4 tournament at a national. We were on the projector and being live streamed. We were winning but then something unexpected happened, which made me freak out and accidentally kill myself and my team mate at the same time, losing us the game.

Cereal? Coco puffs. Breakfast? Bacon and eggs :D
Twitch - Ledge_G2 (RimWorld livestream)

shadowwolf0357

Cheers ladies and gents, Shadowwolf0357 here to introduce myself. I am a Greek bloke in my 20's

Prison Architect introduced me to management games but I've always had a fondness for strategy games in general

-What's your favourite other game?
Stuck between Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect series, and Arma 3.

Accidently gunning down 2 of my teammates with a heavy assault rifle at point blank range in Battlefield 2142 (at point blank).

Coffee, coffee and more coffee.

krisbow

Quote from: Tynan on September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

I was introduced to RimWorld by a good friend who has steered my in the direction of a few good games. It took me a while to get into / used to RimWorld but with a little guidance at the beginning I now find the game very addictive and look forward to a relaxing session rimming most evenings!  ;D

ARK, I have racked up over 1200 hours playing it so far and it doesn't seem like it will slow down.

I also like strategy games like Civilization / Banished plus Football Manager!

I wish I had one but off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Breakfast cereal ...... no!

Breakfast has to be croissants and a selection of meats (Ham / Salami etc) ;)

HenrEek

Hi there!
My name's Henrique, talking from Brazil.
I got a major (using the U.S. term) in Mathematics, and doing a master's in Software Engineering.
I'm married, and got a son that now sleeps early enough for me to play some games a little.

I've learn about RimWorld on a humorous post on the Interwebs about Steam Reviews.
Bought it as soon as I found that there is a DRM-free option  ;D

OTTD, Worms, Diablo, Warcraft and its derivatives.

One time, I tried to set up a dial-up Duke Nuken 3 multiplayer game with a friend, while using the landline phone to talk to him. It took me around 15 minutes to realize what I was doing  ;D

Well, I don't usualy break my fast with cereal, but when I do, it's with frosted flakes (or even plain corn flakes, when I'm in the mood)!
FWIW, for my breakfast I usually drink either black coffe, yerba mate or tea (English Breakfast, or Ceylan), with a "Pão na chapa" (french bread, with butter, cooked on a pan) or a grilled cheese, and sometimes also a fruit (apple or banana) or fruit juice (orange, passion fruit or cashew).

(edit: grammar)

f4stjack

Well the stories mostly. I am really loving the emergent story aspect in Rimworld. Also the art style and the overall feeling just clicks with me.

Factorio

Ho hum. Losing a colony to a bunch of alpha beavers as of now.

Muesli I guess. I don't do breakfast cereals I think :)

Cheesehead64

Found on Steam
Love military strategy games - playing a lot of AGEOD games right now including Birth of America 2. Also like games like Civilization and SimCity so this appeals to me.
Probably every start of Rimworld so far.
No cereal. Fried eggs on English muffins!

Spingitore

I read a suggestion for similar games on some Factorio forums

-Guess it: Factorio

Nothing particularly embarrassing for now, I lost my first colony to fire, being totally unprepared to its magnitude of devastation. I guess this quite common. Maybe the most embarassing moment was when my hunter had to flee from a manhunter turtle after being badly wounded in a melee fight. I almost laughed when I saw that ***oh my god, soooooo scaryyyyyy*** turtle going mad. I don't laugh anymore at turtles.

Number 3 Kellog's Choko Crave
Number 2 Kellog's Coco Pops RisoCioc* (chocolate rice)
Number 1 Kellog's Coco Pops Barchette* (small boats)
Critics' prize to Kellog's  Special K dark chocolate.

*I am italian, that's where the names come from. Please note that for unexplained reason flavour from the same kind of cereals in Italy and US may differ greatly.

niklas7737

I've liked these kind of base-builder games for quite a while. I think this probably started with the Sims. I saw RimWorld in a Let's Play the first time and was fascinated by how much freedom of choice it usually leaves to the player.
I bought it on Steam as soon as it was released there because I couldn't use the payment options on rimworldgame.com

Since I generally don't stick to certain genres, I would say Subnautica if i had to choose but I really only play one game at a time which right now is RimWorld. A few years ago I would have said Minecraft without any doubt.  ::)

Had my colony eradicated by a pack of manhunter-squirrels (I think) because I didn't pay attention to them thinking my walls were already finished (clearly, they were not). The only colonist not incapacitated was hiding in the hospital (how ironic) badly injured and loosing blood while everyone else was laying outside. I even got assistance from a tribe but every colonist I could rescue alive afterwards died from multiple infections.

Unfortunately, I don't eat any breakfast cereal. I prefer toast.  :o

I'm from Germany and I hope my writing doesn't hurt too bad.  :D

sigmaone

Hello! I Kickstarted Rimworld so long ago; and I tried it when  it was first released. Haven't touched it since 2013; and I just tried it again yesterday. I was very impressed by all the updates. I'm looking forward to playing with the Mods and really digging into this game. If I can keep my colonists fed, sheltered, and safe.

QuantumNelly

Hi there! My name's Tony, or QuantumNelly as I'll preferably be referred to.
I was introduced to RimWorld by a youtuber called Quill18. For a few years now, I've had a strong interest in the game and the colony-building games over all. (Dwarf Fortress was a great substitute until now.)
Hands down, my favorite game of all time, is Bioshock. The first one. Would you kindly not ask why?
My most embarrassing gaming moment... Oof that's a bit of a tough one, but I'd have to say was when I was younger - say about 10 - I 'borrowed' a friend's game that I was envious of him having. I was so enamored in watching them play it, but when I finally got to play it myself, I failed miserably. What's worse is knowing that game was a dog game for the gameboy advance.
Captain Crunch. Don't ask. Personal favorite.

Endcrackegg

First known on Steam, it was recommended to me, since I always play this kind of game, was previously playing prison architecture, something similar in the art style, but totally different game. 

Currently, I'm stuck with Rimworld, oh, and factorio.

skipping school and got caught at internet cafe during high school time.

dont eat cereals lmao.