Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukuleleguy

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Reviews, fandom passion and comments about Rimworld online got my attention. I've been playing computer sims since the late 1970s. My first foray into coding was rewriting a game called Taipan in BASIC in 1977 or 78 to make it multiplayer.

I really like sims, but as a writer I am also passionate about storytelling. The intersection of gaming and storytelling makes for good immersion and fascinates me. I see it as the next stage in literature.

My attention span is short with non-immersive games. I want to feel invested in the characters and/or the process. A first-person adventure, for example, holds my attention longer than a puzzle game.

-What's your favorite other game?
Varies. I play Civ V a reasonable amount. But also RPGs and MMOs, a bit of chess & go, some strategy/war games too. There's always a jeu-du-mois on my computer I play until mastered, then look for something new. However, I sometimes go back to old favourites like Civ and Lux Deluxe.

I tend to prefer turn-based games over RTS because I like to be able to ponder each move and I like strategic challenges. I was really tempted by Prison Architect because it shares similar mechanics and design elements to RW, but I wasn't sure I'd like the political context of for-profit prisons (the old leftie in me coming out). The Alpha 17 update convinced me to get RW. To which point, I have not played it yet. It's just DLing now.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
I have a dozen of those from when I first learned to play World of Warcraft and had no idea how to interact with others or do the game basics. I stumbled along for quite a while, a noob far too long for others to want to be in my company (and trying to solo dungeons rather unsuccessfully).
Probably my greatest computer gaming disappointment was in playing Spore, however. Such promise, such a let down.
My most embarrassing paper game story is when I entered a Barbarossa (SPI) tournament at a game club in the mid-1970s without fully understanding the mechanics and got soundly beaten within about six or seven turns while the rest of the players watched and laughed. Loudly.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Who eats breakfast? Well, I drink tea. With a bit of milk. Nothing more needed.

I have been gaming since I can remember. Chess (since about 9 or 10), go, Diplomacy, Risk and others (including many, many S&T, GDW and Avalon Hill wargames) pre-computer. Then a wide variety of games since, albeit with a preference to sim games and city building games, generally solo. I have even been a playtester for board games (SPI) and some computer games.

I am currently a semi-retired writer/editor/blogger with a passion for Machiavelli, ukulele, Shakespeare, science and technology. And I look forward to immersing myself into RW to feast on its stories.

Caesar non supra grammaticos.

JimJammer89

I first discovered Rimworld when I watched a short let's play a few years ago. I remembered it last year and found that it had improved greatly and, after a few months of internal debate, bought it.

Gears of War. Despite being a shot-'em-up game, it does take strategizing and communication with one's partner to play properly.

Never shall it be heard.

Standard wheat flakes with equal parts granola and sugar. It also needs to be eaten with CREAM, not watery milk.
Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on August 31, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: JimJammer89 on May 26, 2017, 12:33:44 AM

Never shall it be heard.

We demand that you tell us.

LithiumMan42

I played Prison Architect, so somehow that led to this, its been since a9 so I don't really remember

I guess its Total War games, seeing as how I own all since Rome 1, and have over 5000 hours played all together

I have played over 5000 hours of Total War games...

I can't stand cereal... Breakfast Tacos are the best breakfast!!

I love this game. The mods, attention to detail, awesome stories, hilarious tribe names, and continued improvement make this my favorite game ever. 

williamspd

Hi, I'm Paul. I love colony sims / group dynamics games. :-)

I love Dwarf Fortress and I guess I started off with the various Sim games, back from the Sim Ant and Sim Earth stuff as well as Sim City etc. I try to look out for new, promising Sim games and one day I saw RimWorld on Steam. I checked reviews, watched a video, and bought it :-)

I love games like Dwarf Fortress, XCOM (old and new), Prison Architect, and almost any and every zombie game.

I used to work in the industry around 20 years ago, and I think most of my good stories are still embargoed :-)

I used to be a cereal addict, it's just too easy to live off that stuff. I've managed to wean myself off of the habit and these days, after a brief topple off of the wagon and bingeing on Honey Nut Corn Flakes, I'm trying to just do the healthy options... like Bran Flakes :-)

JimJammer89

Quote from: Names are for the Weak on May 27, 2017, 12:07:58 PM

Never shall it be heard.

Nevva! Unless there's icebox pie and chocolate chip cookies.
Quote from: TitaniumTurtle on August 31, 2015, 11:57:18 AM
Who needs a force field when you can have a chicken field?

Ra_silk

hi this is Ra'silk. my username is from my favourite skyrim save, a khajiit mage.
i always loved building and survival games and found this game by chance on the team double dragon you tube channel
-What's your favourite other game?
lets see, space engineers, Minecraft, fallout 4, skyrim, terraria, cityskylines, empirion galatic survival, factorio, portal and halflife,...
most recently getting stuck in my power armour for over and hour after running out of power in fallout 4.
earl grey tea with toast and while reading a book.

Seriously Unserious

Hi all, I've been following Rimworld for some time now, ever since I first saw a YouTuber by the name of Quill18 doing a series of Let's Plays of it. Now that I've bought it (about a month ago) I've decided it's about time I joined the community and introduced myself, so on gaming forums I go by the name of Seriously Unserious.

Wherever I go, I tend to get a reputation for being willing to chip in with help when and where I can, and interject a little humour every now and then. I'd love to continue that here with this community built up around a great game.

Erlembald

Hi,

just recently (two months ago) bought the game after my brother introduced it to me. Since I am a student and lack money, I do own a rather medium-budget-notebook which has not aged that well the last few months. So I am only able to play games with low system requirements and happily for me, Rimworld is such a game. I had my share of fun with indie games and some older titles the last few years.
Prior to my studies I mainly played RTS and RPGs, especially Starcraft 2, the Total War series, the Witcher series and the Elder Scrolls. Most embarrassing gaming-related story? That would be in huge parts the community of League of Legends I think.
What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? I mainly go with oat flakes (dunno if correct term), joghurt and apple in the morning.

MistMaster

-What introduced me?
I saw some of the game-play on YouTube when the game was in alpha 15 or 14. I picked  copy of the game up when it was in alpha 16. The game looked quite interesting, the freedom play-style and overall quirkiness enticed me to buy.
As a kid I played the sims and mine-craft, so I enjoy being able to build and design intricately, but I also have an interest in drama. This game ties those two together perfectly.

-Favorite other game?
Skyrim, Definitely. Although very different from Rimworld, Skyrim has an intense backstory that I absolutely love.

-Embarrassing gaming story?
hmm... can't think of any really for me tbh. I do however remember a friend playing through COD-WAW on veteran difficulty, he got to the end of a mission and died. His re-spawn was on top a tower where he was getting constantly hit by a mortar. He had to restart the mission over and got pretty mad.

Breakfast?
I come from New Zealand so... marmite on toast FTW!

Bozobub

I've been around for a while as a a player — I only could do so when babysitting a friend's kids ^^' — but someone just bought me a copy as a gift on Steam.. :o!  I'm not sure yet if they want their name publicly bandied about, so I won't, but huzzah!  Now I can play more often then every two months (for a month)!
Thanks, belgord!

Renatus

I've always had a thing for these kinds of management type games.. But the game that directly hooked me up with rimworld is prison architect (Doubt I'm the only one)
-What's your favorite other game? I don't do favorites, I play/have way too many games to choose one. It gets even worse if you don't limit me to video games as I do pen and paper role playing games, larp, board games. I have been a gamer for literally as long as I can remember
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best? Life, life is the best. specifically cinnamon life... I can eat a whole box in one breakfast

I came on here because I had a suggestion that I wanted to make sure was put forward

Names are for the Weak

Quote from: JimJammer89 on May 29, 2017, 10:19:20 PM

Never shall it be heard.

Luckily, I have some right here. And it's all yours if you tell us.

Sola

I figure now that I've been here for almost a year, it's time I post in this thread, right? :p

I've always been hooked on hard games.  The more effort you have to put into something, the more rewarding it is when you actually succeed at it.  Even games like Ninja Gaiden for the NES were fun, as I could never beat it as a child (finally did it for the first time at 28 or so?). 
Very early on, maybe 1995, I was turned on to Strategy games.  Warcraft, Starcraft, Chess, and Master of Orion 2 were my gold standard.  Every other RTS game that comes out I immediately compare to Warcraft/Starcraft, and almost all come up lacking.  I was on the Chess Team in high school, and was far and away the best among them.  As such, all of my favorite games today have an element of strategy to them.
After a while, I was turned on to Roguelike games, with my first introduction being Chocobo's Dungeon 2 for the playstation in.... 1999-ish.  Procedurally generated games that have very real consequences for failure (but lacking certain aspects that make them true roguelikes, such as unidentified potions etc.) were more popular, and close enough that I could enjoy them.  Izuna, One Way Heroics, Crypt of the Necrodancer, Diablo 2's Hardcore mode, and FTL scratched my itch for this, and for the most part, are still fun to play today.  Games like Binding of Isaac are not my cup of tea at all.
During Warcraft III's high point (2004ish), it was popular to make Survival style maps.  You get pitted against an infinite wave of baddies, each one stronger than the last, and your goal is to make it as far as you can before dying (Good maps), or stabilize and build the ultimate tower and never lose (Most maps).
One day on Steam, Rimworld is recommended to me by the system.  A Procedurally generated, strategy, survival, permadeath game with a balls-steep learning curve.  I put it on the wish list and wait for it to go on sale.  After a few months of no-sale, the conversation of Rimworld begins in the chat room for Anti-Idle: The Game on Kongregate.  "Oh man!  I've been eyeballing that game for a while!  Is it worth the price tag?".  When it was shown to me that I could scale the difficulty to where I liked it, turn on permadeath, and was guaranteed to die over and over again as I learned the game, I bought it within the hour.

Presently, 348 hours logged in the game.  No regrets yet.

It's a tossup.  Fire Emblem and Disgaea are both strategy based, but it's too easy to game the system and steamroll.  At that point, it's less SRPG and more JRPG-with-your-favorite-units.  Master of Orion 2 and Warcraft 3 are amazing, but dated.  In the end, I'm gonna go with Crypt of the Necrodancer.  The music is amazing, and it's a rhythm roguelike with simple rules that you always lose and think "I could have done that better" almost instantly.

I put over a thousand hours into League of Legends.

Cinnamon Toast Crunch is the only right answer here.

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.
I like to draw.  Girls, specifically.
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

ProjectXa3

Quote from: Names are for the Weak on June 13, 2017, 01:23:28 PM
Quote from: JimJammer89 on May 29, 2017, 10:19:20 PM

Never shall it be heard.

Luckily, I have some right here. And it's all yours if you tell us.
What in the hell is Icebox Pie??
"I set fire to my sheet of sailcloth and drape it over the skeletons."
"Okay I'm...I'm going to need you to roll for a personality check for that one."