Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viden

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?

To Rimworld: A Spanish forum about wargames and more recently, "dwarfgames". One fellow forumite posted about Rimworld's Kickstarter campaign and I followed the path.

To this kind of games: The same forum, the same forumite posting about Dwarf Fortress.

-What's your favorite other game?

Crusader Kings 2, I guess.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?

Well, while playing CK2 sometimes I end cheating my wife with my daughter-in-law while I murder the infant brothers of the later in order to put her at the throne of her country of origin and thus gaining a valuable ally. After succeding with that my wife usually suffers a fatal "accident". Is that embarrassing? ::)

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

My breakfast never involved any cereal at all.

Technotica

Hi!

I am Technotica and I am new, I just bought the game and registered on the forums.

My journey to Rimworld was quite a strange one, it started with reading about The Last Federation (totally unrelated), past Unclaimed World and ended here.

When I read about a game influenced by Firefly (Love!) and Dwarf Fortress (also Love! but only with graphical add ons) I just couldn't resist!

I was a bit surprised about the SendOwl thing though, no registration no account for the game just emails that you get after updates?

In any case I can't wait to play! *stupid worktime*

Spoolicus

Hello! My name is Spoolicus, but you can call me Nathan or Nate or Spoolicus. I've been forum stalking for the past couple of days and decided to make my first post here! I'm also going to say that I might have some very interesting things coming down the pipeline that may or may not be story/Storyteller related. (It's either one or both, I'll have you know.) But before all that jazz can begin, lets learn more about why exactly I'm here!
I was first introduced to Rimworld in another forum for another Kickstarted game called Stonehearth, a real time voxel-based strategy-simulation with RPG elements. One of the Moderators there posted a link while the Kickstarter for RImworld started, but I didn't have enough money at the time and the Kickstarter ended. A few days ago, I remembered the game and since I had enough money, I bought it! Woo!
This is a tough one. I've played and grown up with games most of my life. Ten years ago it would be something like Pokemon for the Game Boy Advance. Fire years ago, it would've been Portal. Two years ago, Braid. Last month, somewhere between Prison Architect and Planetary Annihilation. There are really too many to name just one. It'd be better to just post an entire thread about it, but I feel that it would a) take too long for me to do and b) not be very productive.
I hate scary games. Actually, I hate anything involving scares, gaming or not. And I'm 18. It takes me constant effort to not freak out at something like Amnesia, Lone Survivor (despite this, still an amazing game and you should go play it), and Silent Hill. And, despite my fear of scary games, I play them all the time. I've made it through most of them, even. However, there is one or two games that I haven't yet, because I just can't stand them. One of them is Eversion. No, I didn't link it wrong. For some reason that happy little game with the flower protagonist is like my worst nightmare. Because, if you play it, there comes a certain point at which the game just gets creepy. You probably just need to play it to understand where. You'll know it when you see it. It is, however, probably exaggerated since I have a thing for scary games. I haven't touched it in years.
The one and only, Captain Crunch. Reminds me of a certain pirate song by a certain comedy band duo that's probably not a family friendly song. No, wait. It's definitely not family friendly.

pablolo997

Hi I'm pablo.
Well my Real name is paul and I'm an African American. Not of Latin decent.
Anywho...
I don't really remember how I found this game... something to do with steam. Maybe I was looking for games similar to prison architect?
I guess my favorite game of all time would be League of Legends. Not necessarily because of the game itself but the memories. All the fun moments I've had with my friends makes it my favorite. If it wasn't for league, I never would have met them, and I never would have found out about other games that they showed to me. Like Osu! Which is my second favorite game ever.
One time on King Arthur's gold I set off a keg trying to blow up a huge group of knights in front of our base...while I was still in our base. I couldn't get out of the base in time and ended up blowing up a good chunk of our own walls, which made me seem like a griefer. I didn't get banned though they understood. XD
Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

bladedsmoke

Hi everyone! I'm bladedsmoke. I made a mod for RimWorld (in my sig) and that was my first post on the site, but since I'm here I thought I should introduce myself anyway.

Been playing Dwarf Fortress for years, and I loved the idea of a game as deep as it was, but with graphics and a more intuitive UI. Loads have come out recently purporting to live up to that one day, but RimWorld is the first to convince me.
My favourites are Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings 2, New Vegas, Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape Torment... I can't pick between them!
I once dropped 50 children down a pit in DF because they were slowing my framerate too much. Unfortunately, they didn't die, they just broke all their legs. I dropped some goblins down after them to clean up, but the goblins just broke all their legs too. I had to sit there and wait for the giant pile of goblins and dwarven children to starve to death, which took ages because they were STILL slowing down my framerate.
None! Yoghurt and berries are the way forward.
Creator of the HorrorWorld Mod.

Jack 123

Steam greenlight introduced me to rimworld I liked and followed it then looked it up. My favourite other game is probably mount and blade warband. My most embarrassing in game moment is probably losing 20-3 to my mate on call of duty. Best breakfast cereal has gotta be cornflakes.

Eruen

Hi! Im Eruen from Spain and i decided to register at ludeon's forum since i love rimworld.

I used to play Prison Arquitect and watched some Rimworld gameplays so i decided to play it since i liked the kind of game.
Pixel Piracy
Raiders destroyed my first camp at first strike
i don't eat cereals at breakfast :p

raiders5000

Hello All!
I’m very pleased to be given this opportunity to introduce myself to you and read your introductions. I also want to give a quick shoutout to Tynan; whom has personally cost me to lose hundreds of dollars on other games I recently purchased and refuse to play (or haven’t even played yet)!
Except for my old & trusty MLB2K12…well, because it’s baseball season…going psycho in New Bloodsville is all I think about! 
I’m a steam client and I saw RimWorld in Greenlight. I didn’t understand it but I liked the video and screenshots so much that I voted YES on it. Keep in mind; I’ve never really played a game of this genre beforehand. So references to FTL , Dwarf Fortress, and Firefly didn’t resonate with me.  I’m more of a Sandbox, RPG and Grand Strategy kind of gamer.
What bought me to this style of game in general were Rock, Paper, Shotgun articles and YouTube playthroughs of Qvadriga and FTL. And let’s be honest, FTL is a monster of a game for only $10. Between that game and Qvadriga ($20 and well worth every damn penny) I was content. So it was difficult to even consider playing another game, let alone buy one. But now that I purchased RimWorld and played it for the first time this past weekend, you understand the reference in my introduction paragraph.

My favorite game is Stronghold Crusader. The sequel is scheduled to come out this year, so looking forward to that. A close second went to Titans Quest for a long time, but that margin is fading fast. Between Crusader Kings II, Qvadriga, FTL & RimWorld…I’m going out of my freakin’ mind.

Kellogg’s Corn Pops!
Happy gaming!

Wikrin

It's a-me, uh... Me! :D

I actually don't remember how I heard of Rimworld. A Let's Play, maybe? Watched a whole lot of them over the last week or so. Lot of people making very basic mistakes, but also some had good tips.

I really like the whole "random colony"-thing, but the most difficult part for me is usually the colonists; I'm a perfectionists, and even though the traits don't do anything, I don't want three nymphomaniacal sexagenarians. Also, because I always try to get a "protagonist," and I get too attached to that one person. x.x

SSS

TripleS here. I found Rimworld on Kickstarter's popular page a few days after backing my first project. I didn't back it then, but I've bought it since then.

The only management game I've extensively played is Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, and that's quite old now. I've played a few strategy games, my favorites being those in the Homeworld series. I always like a good story to go with a game, though, so it's natural that this sort of game would attract my interest.

Despite the above interest, I hate RPGs. Hate. I'm not a fan of rougelikes or sports games either. The first games that come to mind for my favorites include the Metroid Prime series, the Homeworld series (duh), the Lost Planet series, the Armored Core series, and the Megaman X/Zero/ZX series. (As you may see, I like sci-fi.) Alan Wake was awesome too... and then there's the Portal series. There's so many! I can't really claim a favorite amongst those.

I can't think of any embarrassing video game stories. I've puzzled on stuff that should have been obvious before, but no specific case is coming to mind.

My favorite breakfast cereal seems to change every few months. Right now my favorite is Cocoa Krispies. Previous favorites include: Boo Berry cereal, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Honeycomb, Cookie Crisp, Frosted Cheerios, Fruity Pebbles, and S'morz.

Coenmcj

Time to introduce myself even though I've been here for a few months!

What introduced me to Rimworld?
I honestly have no idea, One day I was looking for Indie games then the next I was on the forums taking part and blowing up nobles with Blasting charges.

Favourite game of all time would have to be Perfect Dark for the N64, I've probably logged over 8 months on that game over the years.

Well I suppose there's always those moments where you completely miss the blatantly obvious flashing red warning that you're about to die...

Favourite Cereal?
Who wakes up in the morning?! 2 PM is where it's at!

Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

GuySevern

Hi guys, I'm a Science-Fantasy writer from Tauranga, New Zealand. I just bought RimWorld and am loving every second of it. I like how the developer decided to add lots of backstory to the game through the characters. This is what attracted me to RingWorld, as it is what I look for in a game nowdays and it's my livelihood. I think the game has tremendous potential and I am looking forward to seeing how it grows. I really have to take my hat off to the creator, he has made something very special here. It's half built and already better than a lot of games out there.

Aside from this i like RPGS and micro-managers. Favorite cereal is Crunchy-Nut-cornflakes (New Zealand). LOL. I look forward to joining the community.

JorDash

Just got this game the other day. So far been happy with it. Found out about it by watching a video on you tube, that Weem had made for Unclaimed Worlds.

Cael

Hey!

First of all, I would like to confess that I haven't bought the game and downloaded it from torrent. I'm really having trouble with financial issues these days, sorry about pirating your game. I will buy the game once I pay my goddamn debts and support the game in whatever way possible. I hope I won't get banned for being a dirty pirate :/

My favourite game is also Deus Ex, first one of course not the horrible sequel. I also loved Dark Earth when i was a little kid, awesome atmosphere and story telling.

You might not believe it but I've been looking for a game about space colonies for a long time. Perfect limitless setting, mysterious, unknown. Whips an explorer's soul. When I first saw your game I was like "this can't be real, I'm sure it's shit". However after downloading and playing it like 20+ hours I was more than satisfied.

You good sir, are not like the soulless money grabbing game makers dominating the industry today. You are trying to create what "you" love, not what brings you the most money. I admire you. Huge respect.

Cala13er

Quote from: Cael on May 23, 2014, 12:48:24 PM
Hey!

First of all, I would like to confess that I haven't bought the game and downloaded it from torrent. I'm really having trouble with financial issues these days, sorry about pirating your game. I will buy the game once I pay my goddamn debts and support the game in whatever way possible. I hope I won't get banned for being a dirty pirate :/

Wait so you're flat out admitting to ILLEGALLY downloading the game? Oh dear.