Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elias0311

Hello, im Eli and i love rimworld so much i even draw it lol here is tonights quick sketch i did on my phone

heres my instagram pic of a rimworld character i made hope you like it

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpBm7uRno5r/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=woyrb7tz5df3

.   Id really like to make some mods for my game.  But im no modder

I can barely.use these forums lol

eugeneb

Hey there, I've been hanging around for a while and now that I have 600+ hours in Rimworld and it has surpassed Kerbal Space Program in my Steam library becoming my most played game ever, it's probably time to introduce myself.  ;D

I grew up in a major city in Eastern Europe on the ruins of once powerful country which went down in flames when I was two years old. As a kid I liked sciences and adventures - I was spending time with math and physics books, as well as books about explorations and adventures, both fictional and real. Once Internet happened, I started messing with it generating huge phone bills. Eventually the combination of all these things logically led to me receiving and accepting an offer to move to the US as a software engineer. I started in rural New England, explored its mountains and beautiful nature and met my wife who also travelled to the US from completely opposite part of the world. Then I received an offer in NYC at one of those big corps you heard about and together we moved there to experience life in this mega city with its extremes, both good and bad. Eventually we got to our 30s and decided to settle down and the place that had everything we loved happened to be here in Pacific North West. We packed stuff in container, took our cats and moved to Seattle. I also left big corp and joined an awesome startup where I am making history today.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
I loved simulation and "building" games since I first started playing games all the way back. I stumbled on Rimworld on Steam: I think my wife and I got bored of whatever we were playing at that time and went to Steam's "simulation" genre to look around and see what was there. Rimworld quickly caught my eye with its overwhelmingly positive reviews and funny stories and I gave it a try. It ended up being pretty addictive...

-What's your favorite other game?
We've been spending a lot of time with Long Dark these last couple years. I also recently discovered Dragon Age Origins and really loved world and story. Love games with good story and characters - either "pre-made" or the where you make story and characters as you play. Feels a bit like reading a good book, just experiencing it as a video game instead of reading.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
When I have troubles falling asleep, while lying in bed, I open up Reddit's ShitRimworldSays and keep re-reading it laughing hysterically. Other than that, my most embarrassing story will probably happen once I meet myself in Rimworld: I got my real name in there but not the custom story so I am looking forward to meeting myself from the timeline where I am a 70 year old pyromaniac abrasive alcoholic or something like that.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I usually feel lost in cereal isle due to too much choice so I had to narrow down my criteria and choose the one with snowy mountains on the box (because snow and mountains are cool!). I don't remember the name, it has something about Skagit Valley. My wife has been objecting that box design is not the best criteria but since I am the one eating cereal mostly, we are stuck with the cereal with mountains (it actually happened to be pretty good too).

Loadfix

Hi Guys
I just started to play/stream rimworld.
This is coming from a gamer who started gaming in the early " 8bit" days of video gaming ( yes ,i am a vintage streamer and gamer) and i must say this game is AMAZING. It has put me back in touch to what video games should be like , and it takes me back in time , a time when games were deep and would hold my attention for days on end.
The attention to detail blows my mind . The learning curve is well designed and i always discover something new . I had some great people guide me through the first few hours of this great adventure during my twitch stream .
THANK YOU so much for creating such a masterpiece and i am looking forward to MANY more hours spend in this awesome world you have created .I still have  many questions but yet i look ahead to many more hours of playing this game that has restored my faith in pc gaming.
Thank you again Ludeon Studios for giving me this awesome experience . I cant wait to introduce my kids to this . Actually my coworkers and friends as well .

What introduced you to RimWorld?
-another twitch streamer

-What's your favorite other game ?
Too many but i loved ultima underworld 1&2, ultima online, wing commander series, everquest,and wow.

Not being able to open a door in " indiana jones and the fate of atlantis."  this is before the days of the internet so no help was available and it took me days to figure out the puzzle which was actually very easy and logical :-)

Fruitloops , the 80's called and they want me back ..

loadfix ( yes it is an old dos 5.0 command C:\<loadfix )
twitch.tv/loadfix

UltimateTobi

Hello all!

Well, basically seeing it being released on Steam and then checked out some Let's Plays!
No singular favorite, but many. Rome 2, Prison Architect, Age Of Empires 2, Age Of Mythology, GoldenEye 007 (N64), Starfox (SNES) (Yeah, born 1991, so I enjoyed a lot of SNES and N64 games as well as GameCube games!), The Legend Of Zelda series is also one of my all-time favorites!
I think this list could go on and on.
I think I got none to tell.
Definitely Cini Minis!

And since I am lazy, I am too lazy to think of more questions that I could answer about myself. If you got any, just reply of PM!

Also, I am usually just a forum dweller, I rarely actively participate in any forum, only replying to specific topics.
Your generic Steam user.

Hoshi

I played Prison Architect and enjoyed it for a bit, then Factorio. I like having a game that I can just pour hours into and enjoy learning about for long periods, weeks and months, maybe even a near. The time came for me to find another one of those games and Rimworld seemed to be a good choice after seeing it on Steam every once in a while and reading all those positive reviews, people writing about their interesting stories in the game. This game seemed like on that combined the two games that I mentioned and enjoyed very much above. So I decide to take a shot at it and bought it on Steam. I admit, I thought it wasn't going to be fun at first, but I gave it a shot and kept at it. Eventually it won me over, and it's a pretty great game.

Deep Rock Galactic. Updates for it never seem to disappoint. It has it's own little charm. The developers seem to have their ducks in order, and it keeps getting better and better the more I come back to play it. Other games include Overwatch, and yes, Fate Grand Order.

If there was one, I would say that time my colonist got caught in her own trap and died while I wasn't paying attention. It happened so fast, that hot wash of shame, realizing what had just happened as my mind desperately searched for some external reason to blame left me speechless, and in the end I had to accept that something stupid just happened... and it was all my fault.

I really enjoy Tesco's Honey Nut Clusters. I'm not naive enough to consider it any healthier than your Frosted Flakes or what have you, but they have so much density and texture that goes way beyond your conventional "puff", "flake", or "crunch" cereals that just taste airy, powdery, and sugary.
"All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit in a quiet room alone."

JayratX8

this is post #10 so i'll introduce myself and say HI!
i was introduced to this game buy watching an adventure out on the ice sheet show on you tube. this guy was eating everyone! i thought wow if you can do that in this game what else is there.
other games i love would be old civ not 5 so much as 2 or 3.
embarrassing moment i'd say every time i discover the icon in a grow zone has multiple options that i hadn't tried till the 4th or fifth scenario.
or maybe the one time a poison ship crashed next to the ancient evil, so when i threw my EMP nade it destroyed the wall sending even more mechanoids out to fight me. i'm just glad i had a bionic arm and the guy who lost it was a transhuman. He loved his new shiny metal arm.
i love "cinnamon life" however i was thinking of changing my name to cinnamon toast cannibal (crunch), the only breakfast cereal that advocates eating your friends.
Take it easy; Take it sleazy, Take it anyway you can. BUT! remember, don't squeeze the Charmin.

noname_hero

Hello everyone, I guess I'm old enough to follow netiquette and introduce myself, so here goes.

English is my fourth language, as I grew up in a bilingual country under Soviet rule (in a wider sense of the word, not a part of the old USSR) and had to learn two local languages plus Russian first, so I hope that will explain any mistakes I make language-wise.

One of my favorite sort-of-recent games is Banished and that may be the reason youtube suggested a Rimworld letsplay, which explains why I'm here. However, considering I loved even the old Civ I, it could be argued there's more that led me here.

My favorite other game? Changes with time, right now let's say Openxcom.

Breakfast cereal? I'm a rebel, I don't do breakfast cereal, I eat proper breafasts. Besides, my other half has a sweet tooth and she'd sometimes binge eat half the box of the stuff, or all of it, so I'm not allowed to keep any at home anyway, to keep the temptation at bay.

Oh, what do you mean, an embarrassing story? Like, when I introduce myself? Nope, maybe another day :-)

Krausladen

I dont make games.  I work in sales.

But I've played these kinds of games for ages. Rimworld is the game I'd make myself if I knew how.  It's going down as one of the goats for me.  Also up there: Rollercoaster Tycoon, Warcraft, Starcraft, Minecraft, Terraria, Borderlands, Civilization III & V. 

Rimworld is becoming a GOAT that stands up to those games though. 

In addition to sales I've studied how to code a little bit and I did build a game in project spark - one that was way above and beyond the complexity of about 95% of the games posted on there.  I built some VERY complex RNG systems in project spark that lead to fully procedurally generated weapons that had know exact match in the stats table.  I was extremely sad when they shut the servers down. 

CarmaSmitherman

Well, this is good to start with an introduction well, I am also new here just want to tell, I like to explore myself every field.
Well, Just for the curiosity what type of game are you guys playing currently? I also like to play a game especially a shooter video game.

SirFlemming

Hi there,
Just joined.
Love this game.
I wrote a review on Metacritic, simply because it deserves it.
https://www.metacritic.com/user/SirFlemming

Dwane_Loki

Hi! I'm Dwane.

I recently fell in love with this wonderful sim. I was drawn to this game since I heard of it from people who played Dwarf Fortress frequently, on youtube and my steam recommended. I didn't get my hands on it until full release partly because I've been burned in the past by other titles in the same genre that failed to come out of early access in a acceptable state such as Towns and Gnomoria as well as the fact that this game was gifted to me by a close friend of mine this Christmas!

I enjoy any off-brand frosted shredded wheat cereal the most, the kind that come i large resealable bags! I also try to buy in bulk with any cereal I come by. I'm down for coco-puffs and coco-crispies (flintstone brand)

I got onto this forum to share a Idea I had and after searching steam discussions I saw I was more likely to get noticed here than any other avenue. 
Boomalope powered colonies are always going to be my favorate, because no matter what that colony will always go out with a few bangs.

ManHuntingSquirrel

I was born in the Rimworld,im a Man Hunting Squirrel

My favorite game is Kidney Harvester for the Glitterboy 4500

My most embarrasing story is that once i tried eating a Boomrat,i didn't know how to go berserk every 5 minutes so i improvised

Human Meat is all i eat,i consider it's cereal,pasta,fast food and more
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

Jaxtore

Hello my name is Derek. I live in the USA.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?: I have been playing somewhat similar games for years and quite honestly I don't 100% remember how I found Rimworld but it was probably someones "lets play" series.

-What's your favorite other game?: My favorite other game is a hard call but it is probably Crusader Kings 2 or possibly Jagged Alliance - Back in action.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?: So I've been doing a bit of recording session for youtube for a Rimworld play through and my favorite Meadow Ave (One of the animals from a mod) lost his Kidney because I forgot to bring it in during a raid. Well I got really cranky because the person I saved wasn't even very good so I pulled operated on her and harvested her kidney to give to my Meadow Ave (his name is speedy) ONLY to find out YOU CAN'T DO THAT! This whole time I forgot that this is what the mod "A dog said" is for and waisted all that time and created an unhappy colonist for no reason! Well that's ok, it's what I love about this game. I keep playing and I keep learning new things!

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?: See this is where I'm going to start a controversy I guess. Because the best breakfast cereal is steel cut oatmeal. There cat's out of the bag! Hate me if you must!

tsmt1001

My name is Tanya, I live in the USA. I am probably on an older end for RimWorld (or gaming in general), I'm in my 40s. So,...

My son introduced me to it. He said I should try a different style of game.
Baldur Gate series. I played BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2 and all their expansions and improved editions that came out.
I accidentally harvested a lung from a colonist. Just clicked on the wrong choice and didn't realize that until it was too late. I also had cats overpopulate in one of my first colonies. They ate all food, drank all beer and developed a host of alcohol-related diseases. And then the colonists starved too, because cats ate food faster than it could grow.  I felt like a crazy cat lady on that colony (which is kinda funny, because IRL I am not a cat person at all). But I understood why in old days they used to kill off kittens and puppies and just leave one or two from the litter.
Personally I like granola-type cereals. And I like to put fresh berries on them.

Jovzin

Hello guys.
So to introduce myself.   
I am 33 years old guy from central EU :)   
I like playing RTS games and sci-fi simulation games.  Used to play a lot in the past Warcarft series, Civilization series, Settlers series and Heroes of Might and Magic 1-4.   From Sci-fi simulation I love Freespace 1 and 2 my favourite sci-fi shooters. 

These days I play more games like Kerbal Space Program or Cities Skylines.    And well these days I got soooo hooked to RimWorld that I can not stop playing it. Really great game.  I was looking for something like this for a long time. 

What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
My co-worker from my job. He suggested me a few games like RimWorld or Banished or Life is Feudal. I told him I want to play some RTS game with some survival aspects. 

Kerbal Space program and Cities Skylines for sure.  From the past it is  RPG Might and Magic 6 and 7 and Freespace 2 a sci-fi sumulator.

Hmm just started but I think it is when I discovered that there is no actual item as fridge and I need to use walls and doors and ventilation to make a fridge :) 

For me Cini Minis  , I love the cinnamon flavor :)