Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SusanLane

Hello, I am Sue. I am newbie here.

Ashran

So, I'm a Spanish guy that loves colony/city management, not like SimCity, more like Frostpunk. Also simulator games like War Thunder, and sci-fi games like Star Citizen (which I bought early on so even if it ends up badly I wont lose much, its been pretty fun with friends)

I got into Rimworld after watching some YT videos and then getting it in my recommended by Steam
My favourite other games may be KSP, Space Engineers, Heat Signature, War Thunder, XCOM 2...

My embarrasing gaming related story is that I simply cannot play in peace, there is always something that comes up and if I've tied everything, dont worry, cause something will break. In these past 2 years: My Gigabyte GPU broke, was repaired, broke again while doing SLI; secondary storage unit containing all my games broke, ordered another one, broke again, repaired the original, broke, currently using an external until I can (if ever) figure out if it's my computers fault; second GPU broke, 3rd fan broke off and was held only by the magnets, making an incredible ratting noise and overheating the card (and Gigabyte's warranty reclaiming sucks, they'll try to make you accept a repair only service with all their might), and just yesterday my very much loved Rimworld save got a sudden persistent crash issue, so now I get to experience my very own Rimworld groundhogs day as it crashes every time at the same moment (yay...)

My favourite breakfast cereal are probably the white chocapics, but as they are extremely rare to find I usually change type every time I need to buy more, and that would be my introduction  :P

Pangaea

*stands up*

"Hello. I'm Pangaea and I'm a rimaholic."

At least right now. It's a gorgeous game, and I've not even ever made human leather hats. Shocking, I know :D

I am from Norway and getting dangerously close to 40. Work with international development assistance. Was late to getting my first computer, but got hooked once I splashed money on it myself aged 13 or so. Put a stupid amount of hours into Championship Manager, and later Football Manager. Until they locked themself to Steam. I refuse to use those so-and-sos, so haven't played it since. Mostly into RPGs, strategy games and various management games. Love Civilization 4 as well (the later ones are poor imposters), but right now I'm taking a break.

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
It was actually recommended to me by a fellow Path of Exile player that I talked a lot to at the time. Bought it when I got fed up of the zoom-zoom speed demon that they have turned POE into, and have played it a lot. Oh, and I'm on Linux, so thanks a million for releasing the game natively on Linux :) \o/

-What's your favorite other game?
Hard to tell. The classic version of Baldur's Gate I and II are great, and Planscape Torment even better. That game is such a master piece! The first Witcher was marvellous. The second not quite up there, but Witcher 3 is great as well. The already mentioned Civilization 4. Sim City 2000, Theme Hospital. First Bioshock was cool, the second not quite as cool from what I remember, and I haven't played Infinite (sorry Tynan). Gotta mention the first Mafia too. That was a great game with a moving story. Then Pillars of Eternity I and II, though it doesn't really reach the heights of BG and PST if I'm honest. Those games simply have something magic about them, beyond the traditional magic. Probably hard to impossible to re-create. Especially with how the gaming industry has developed since.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Hmmm. Hard to top some of the events from the Football Manager days. It could play with my emotions something horrible. Like when I was leading 2-0 in a key World Cup match while managing Japan (plus some club side that I've forgotten about). Out of the blue the opponent, whoever it was, managed to score three goals from three chances. Blew up inside and cursed madly before pushing the chair I had been sitting in seconds earlier. Unfortunately the wheeled chair slid across the floor and the back of it hit a window -- which predictably broke. I was a student, so that got expensive.

Another time, also with Football Manager. Probably lost one game too many, or had too much bad luck in a row or something. Got up and smashed my fist into the bottom of the chair. It was leathery and quite nice, but with a metal plate underneath that leather. Hurt like feck, and after 3-4 days of pain I went to the doctor. Broken hand. Damn. Needed surgery too, because the bones was a little whacked out of position. Three pins into the hand later, all sticking out of the skin and cast. Woot?  ;D

Had to postpone some university exams due to the madness, and claimed I fell on the ice and broke my hand. Probably a good thing I stopped playing that game...!

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Don't often eat cereal, I prefer to get up and head to work asap, so eat something light and fast, if I eat at all. But cereal-wise I prefer fruits and whole grain-ish contents. Basically a relatively healthy type, without 80% sugar or something like that.

Also, I love cats. Don't have one, but blimey those creatures are fantastic. If I see one while walking to work I can't help but get down on my knees and try to pet them. They usually don't give a feck of course, but sometimes I succeed!  ;D ;D

Randeruck

Hey everyone! Figured id stop by and say hi!

I started playing Rimworld after watching a few playthroughs on Youtube, and this is the game that actually got me into this style of game!

Thats a hard one, Oblivion and Kingdom Hearts are two of my favorites but recently I've been loving on Persona 5

There was this fighter in an old arcade that was a Tekken fighter but you stood on a platform and your character would mimic your moves. I couldn't figure out how to move my person forward and got demolished by my opponent  in front of a crowd of people that were watching.

Reeces puff cereal or gtfo.

mzonk

I'm Jeff Mullen, a 55-year-old sufferer of Crohn's disease who hasn't been able to work for a couple of years.  It's time to see if that's changing.

I'm a moron with a Mensa card.  I do a lot of things--especially now that I have some time on my hands.  Back in the day, I was a pretty good C and C++ hacker, so it should surprise no one that I am picking up Java and looking into the cert racket to see if I can get back into the field.

I'm an amateur voice actor.  I've even done a couple of fallout mods.  I was the villain who was so incompetent that he strapped the hero to a nuclear missile and let the guy live through it.  It was a campy mod, and the voice I used for that did it proud.  I change the pitch and timbre of my voice and vary my accent.  For one tryout, the character spoke both English and an artificial language that the writer made up for the world of the story (been there, done that, I give him credit)--and I was the only one who tried out who had his character speak both languages with the same accent.  The showrunner was so busy looking for a deep, Shakespearean voice that he didn't even notice.  Life is like that.

Like every middle-aged disabled guy, I'm working on my novel.  Just trying to find a use for my 30,000-word vocabulary (think "Shakespeare").  It's a sort of Dungeons & Dragons meets Beverly Hills Cop deal--an action comedy set in an idyllic medieval dutchy, with swords, sorcery and the like.  It's the story of a demon from the Abyss turning from evil to good--and the languages I made up are ostensibly spoken by demons.

I fix computers.  Sometimes people give them to me and sometimes I acquire them by more conventional means.  At this point, there are four laptops sitting next to the desk I'm typing this post on that I found or bought on eBay ("Not Working.  For Parts or Repair.") and got working with parts I had lying around.  The HPDV9500's are the funniest.  They are notorious for overheating Graphics Processing Units--but after I put a little heat transfer paste in the right place, they only overheat when I'm installing the drivers (and the drivers still install anyway).

In the mid 80's, I played the original 4X game, "Reach for the Stars," on my Commodore 64.  The 4 X's stand for "explore, expand, exploit and exterminate."  Examples of 4X games include "Civilization" and "Minecraft."   My favorite game now is "Space Empires II" from Malfadoro Machinations, even though I think it's abandonware.  That's how I know that "Rimworld," at its heart, is a close cousin to a 4X.  In "Rimworld," the 4th X just stands for "excape."  ;)  4X games usually operate on the production center/big map model.  "Rimworld" differs from this in that it operates on the level of individual characters and forces the player to micromanage.  Yet, for all they ballyhoo its resource management aspects, there it is, right in front of you, a modified 4X.  You establish a colony (explore phase), make it better than self-sufficient establishing trade (expand phase), research technologies and gather resources (exploit phase) and somewhere in there the raids and the caravans start in (if this was for turf control, it would be an extermination phase, but if you win your offensive battles, you just rip off the vanquished and leave).

They don't say that in the wiki, the forums or anywhere else--in fact, it seems to me that they're careful to avoid saying it.  It's the 800-pound gorilla in the room.

I'd like to write to point this out for a wiki--give a description of the way they wrote the standard game to be played (establish colony, research parts for starship, use long-range mineral scanner to find resources on nearby global map tiles, use caravans to gather resources, build starship, launch).  I'm not sure I'd be allowed.  There seems to be some conspiracy of silence going on--the information is right there, but no one is directly stating it--not that I can find, anyway.

So there you have it.  Hope you made it all the way through this.  Maybe I can get an opinion or two on whether to add that thing to the wiki.   :)

International

Probably youtube, I've always been into Base-Builder strategy type games, ever since I was an ankle biter.

My favorite other game would probably be Dwarf Fortress, although I suck at it. I really enjoy it.

Really need to think of one honestly.

Weet-Bix, afterall; Aussie kids, are weet-bix kids. There's some nostalgia for ya if your from down under.

-Other weird stuff to note about me:
I'm Australian, I'm a community support at the Official rimworld discord, I love helping people & learning new things, my names Riley, call me whatever you'd like, I love listening to music, and I'm an aspiring scientist! So if you're into Science hit me up and we'll have a nerd sesh.
- International

Aka Ripley

Archollector

Rimworld is such an awesome game, I love it, thank you!

Bobjejejddjdjdjdjjgsg

I am bob I have letters after my name because bob was taken but I am from Glasgow and my favorite color is blue and I am 23

Bozobub

Quote from: Bobjejejddjdjdjdjjgsg on January 19, 2020, 01:12:31 AM
I am bob I have letters after my name because bob was taken but I am from Glasgow and my favorite color is blue and I am 23
Funny enough, I've never had to add anything to "Bozobub" on any forum ;D.
Thanks, belgord!

2532wz

'm from China and I knew for the first time that this game was still a pirate.In a club activity, my classmates gave me this game. Without Chinese, English is like a book without words.After playing this game, I am deeply fascinated by this game.I thought he was amazing, and I built the house appliances bit by bit, and the sense of accomplishment was unparalleled.When I was in college, I had a lot of autonomy. I could spend my money freely. I found this game on steam.

PrinzFeuer

Heya I'm Prinzfeuer 31 years old and I play games since I can remember, basically all my life.
I am not stuck to any genre and play games of all kinds as long as they are fun :D
At recently I started my own YouTube let's play channel doing mostly RimWorld Videos, so that was a big step for me.

I found RimWorld through some friend that only wanted to show me how awesome his killbox works (I really hate killboxes and think they are no fun xD ). But the Rest of the game appealed to me very much.

I really love the stories and random sh** RimWorld can generate at times so I started playing it heavily... then I stumbled over the modding... and never stopped because of the really ambitious and cool mods that found their way into the community!

I love the new and the old XCOM Games. They always got me hooked :)

The many times in the old "Planescape: Torment" game where you can just screw up the whole playthrough. Can't recall them all, sorry ;)

I'm a big fan of "Choco Crispies" :D

ManHuntingSquirrel

A wild human from my manhunting outpost asked me to write this for him.

I used to watch a Youtuber that played strategy games, but the only one that really interested me was Rimworld. I watched all his series and painfully waited for him to upload a new video as soon as i finished the newer one.

Red Dead Redemption 2. I got spoiled the ending because i'm dumb and purposefully opened spoiler-flaired posts in Reddit thinking it wouldn't be
a big deal

When i entered the Glow in Fallout 1 without Rad-Away and softlocked because all my saves where from when i was inside. Had to restart the entire game. Other candidates could be the previous RDR2 story and when in said game i overwrote my 91% for one with 15%. Just today i finally reached that porcentage in my third playtrough

Communion wafers
- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

Artfactial

Hello,
I thought I'd register here as I still prefer forums as a means of discussion.
I'm working on a Star Wars ship extension/add-on for SRTS Expanded and reading up and making use of the wealth of knowledge here will help a bunch.

Flu007

Basics: Middle aged/Belgium. Night Owl, Neurotic, Undergrounder.

Heard talk about it on a Twitch stream while it was still in early access, but while I was in a stretch of a few years where I wasn't playing any games. Remembered it some time last year, when the gaming bug had gotten hold of me again, and finally picked it up.
This style of game... Always been drawn to management/sim games, ever since my early gaming days. (I remember letting the rather obscure SimLife run overnight on my early 90s potato PC at about 1 tick per 10 seconds in several feeble attempts to create a healthy eco-system. Never did manage to get there.)

If I had to pick one, probably the original XCOM (UFO Defense.)
The game (series) I spent the most hours in over the years would be the Football Manager series, though I haven't played it in a handful of years.
My gaming taste does have some variety, but I am often drawn to open-ended games, where it's all about the journey/evolution, and I can dig into it for a few hundred hours and decide for myself when the game ends.

Can't really think of anything specific. Except, perhaps, that I come from a time where it was pretty normal to feel a bit embarrassed admitting to people you'd rather stay home and play games instead of going out. Glad to see that time is pretty much over.

I haven't had cereal in 20+ years, but used to be a standard Kellogg's Cornflakes guy, with cold milk and way too much brown sugar. These days I rarely do breakfast, but if I do it's pastry from the local bakery.

arimatoko

Hi all, I'm arima glad to be apart of the group here ;)
gclub