Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyum

I'm Nyum.  I play a lot of video games, and will walk away from them for a long time then suddenly return for a month or three.
My main addiction is FO76 but I'm on break from that at the moment and have been playing RimWorld entirely too much.

kombiman

Hi! I'm Chris,  been playing for 4 years and clocked 3000+ hours. I make props and scenery for theatre and co-paint murals.

Childhood: cadet
Adulthood: artist
Body type: skinny
Hair type: messy (brown)
Injuries: none
Incapable of: cleaning

Traits: jogger, annoying voice, night owl

Melee 2
Shooting 6
Social 3
Animals 5
Cooking 3
Construction 6
Growing 2
Mining 0
Artistic 12
Crafting 11
Intellectual 4

Other games;
CK3, Stellaris, FO76, Civ franchise... city builders, grand strategy and rpgs.

Best cereal;
Milo... Aussie delicacy!

Got interested in the game back in beta after hearing it was a "story generator". There was an ad and I thought it looked different from most games. I played vanilla for a very long time, content with the amount of variety of narratives Randy & Co were dishing out. I like to play in permadeath mode because I'm a sadist/purist and generally try to be quiet moral.

Best playthrough:
Landed with a custom scenario of 2 brothers and built my first 20+ pawn community that somehow managed to include their parents, sister, and wife. The other brother also got married, and having Birds and Bees mod allowed them to have a couple of kids each too. I built the base into a castle and styled them into some kind of Game of Thrones house where everyone who wasn't in the family was expendable and lived to serve them :D (this was before royalty DLC too)

Worst playthrough:
The time I tried the Starship Troopers mod....

carolynperry

hello everyone, how are you all

Kangarus

Well, what can I say?

The handle's Kangarus, I'm a thirty-something cis-het (as far as I know) male-bodied person from Gippsland, Victoria, Australia.

Been gaming since at least 6 years old, interested in languages and foreign cultures - I speak English, a small amount of Spanish, French, German and Dutch, and hope to learn how to speak Mandarin and/or Russian fluently.  Currently saving money and getting a traineeship in business as of time of writing.

Well, I'm basically new to RimWorld, but bought the game after viewing some interesting modded Let's Plays on YouTube.  Basically I'm here to get some answers to questions about the game, and hopefully to learn from others.  Aside from RimWorld, I enjoy Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Crusader Kings 2, and a lot of old-school RTS games such as Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer, and a few more obscure titles like WarWind.

CTSCold

Hey All,

CTSCold here. I've been playing games for as long as I can remember but my rampant ADHD rarely lets me get good at them or finish them if they are too open ended haha. First game I remember playing was Prince of Persia on Super Nintendo (my Dad's Favourite) and the first game I ever bought on my own was Flight of the Amazon Queen, which was on a floppy disk and was likely much to mature for my young mind.

I was drawn to this game after stumbling onto a Reddit post about it.

My favorite other game would likely be Age of Empires 2 or Heroes of Might and Magic 3 as I can always replay through those games anytime I feel without getting easily bored. I also quite enjoy They Are Billions and messing around in 7 Days to Die on PlayStation with my buddies. 

My most embarrassing gaming related story would likely be when I stepped on a landmine that was very very visible to me and my friends, killing us all in 7 Days to Die. I was also the only one who hadn't placed a new bedroll causing me to spawn randomly on the map.

Cereal for me would likely be plain cheerios. No milk. Just plain, normal, dry cheerios.

See ya on the Rim!!

WandaWatson

Hello and welcome to all new c: I'm also new and i glad to join your community!

IceThorn

Quote from: Tynan on September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM
It's good to have some idea of who you're talking to. So, if they wish, new members of the forum can post here to introduce themselves.

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:
-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
-What's your favorite other game?
-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?

And/or put up ridiculous pictures, as you see fit.

I shall start below!

Hi everyone :)
I'm just the average guy which loves micromanagement and strategy.
...and weapons xD (that's what mods are for BTW)

- introduced to rimworld by youtube (as i think the most of people); introduced to the streategy genre oh well this can go back to 90's (total annihilation, my first strategy game ever). Rimworld is kinda different since it's not a turn based nor a RTS and makes sense calling it a "story maker". It has a different feeling from normal strategy games and i totally love this.
- my fav other game... mh... actually i've none. I've been addicted (literally) to many games of many genres in the past; Quake 3 (one of the most addicting), MuOnline (same as above), Unreal Tournament, Total Annihilation, Space Clash - The Last Frontier, WoW, Diablo, Sacred, Trackmania, Minecraft (there has been a time around 1.2beta where my youtube mates called me "modwiki" due I literally memorized every mod recipe passively due playing). If i have to choose one game, maybe i'll choose Total Annihilation... Even if the most of the mod sites got dismissed (still crying for it but hey, time goes on, people stops playing).
- in Rimworld or in general? in Rimworld for sure the time where i tried to attack for the first time a pirate base and got 3 headshots insta-kills on 3 people i brought in... 1/billion chance... here it goes. We want to remember them strong as bears, agile as lynx and head-holed as cheese, sigh...
- why choose when you can try them all? :3

spiceagent11

What's your favorite other game?
Deus Ex. Yep, still hasn't been matched in terms of world development and story.

GamersDecideXC

Hello all.
I'm very fond of Rimworld and I mostly spend my type with modded playthroughs after going through the typical vanilla experience.
Been hoping to do a lot more of Rimworld once 1.3 hits.

My favorite genre of reading is probably fantasy with a mix of military themes.

I got into Rimworld thanks to a friend's recommendation and they told me it was comparable to Dwarf Fortress which was the pitch that hooked me in. I'm just embarrassed to say that I started relying on mods too much to have fun. Not very fond of the big brand breakfast cereals ever since I heard it isn't good for you.

Cipe91

Quote from: Tynan on September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM
It's good to have some idea of who you're talking to. So, if they wish, new members of the forum can post here to introduce themselves.

Say as much or as little as you like. But you could answer questions like:

I shall start below!

Hello,
Im Jacob, 30Yo Italy.
I work as ICT and when i got free time i love play "soft" games.
I see your game few hours ago and i purchased it immediatly (im a fan of games like PA or they are billions). Not yet played the game (im at work now).
About cereal, sorry but i make breakfast with "brioche"  ;) ;) ;)

PS.
Glitterworld. Really?.

Scyobi_Empire

I am Scyobi. I am a Smokeleaf addi- wait this isn't that kind of introduction? Oh.
A video BestInSlot posted, Jurassic Rimworld I think it was called, introduced me to Rimworld. I have yet to play Jurassicrim.
Oh, I don't talk about the time in Stellaris I accidently surrendered and lost all but my Homeplanet. That was totally part of the plan, I swear.

Groptrop

Hello, how are you, I'm also new, I hope to meet more people with the same tastes, I love reading fantasy books and manga, I play some video games like fornite and genshin impact, I hope I can meet many friends here.

Counterintuitor

Well, I was harassed into playing by a colleague at work.  Now I'm hooked.  Life ruined.
Favourite other game: Skyrim, or possible Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup
Embarrassing story: sleeping in for a wedding due to playing Civ 2 the night before.
Breakfast Cereal: gotta be Kellog's Crunchy Nut cornflakes.  That was a trick question, right?

Mark12375

Quote from: Kalesin on September 20, 2013, 06:25:47 AM
I am a working as informatic catalan.

I've done a bit of everything, "I am jack of all trades, master of none" as they say where I live.

I read a lot (science fiction, fantasy, mythology i anthropology), I love documentary films of the conquest of space, I love sushi, Japanese culture, the malt whiskey, cats and dwarfs (dwarves who dig tunnels, not Tyrion Lannister  ;D )

-What Introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
It was thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, one of my daily reads.
If I could only choose one it would be Dwarf Fortress, the best stories designed generator. Although the truth, I'm a player of Lord of the Rings Online and Crusaders Kings 2.
Winning a game of Starcraft (the first) in numerical inferiority, being completely drunk.
Coffee, but for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, ...

Even I am jack of all trades and master of none, tried a lot of being a master, but never really came out.

davebailey

Hello, I'm David!

I'm a seasoned technology and game enthusiast who dates back to the early days of personal computing.

I love a good strategy game and Dwarf Fortress always fascinated me. But every time I finally resolved to learn it, I would struggle with the interface and get to the point of where I could manage the basics, but darned if I had forgotten everything and had to start over a week later when I came back to it! Rimworld has so much of what Dwarf Fortress has, plus a very cool space western theme. It made me sad when the DLCs changed the tone of the game.

Hmmm. Hard. I love so many. Shadowrun is one of my other favorites, the Harebrained Schemes ones, not Cliffhanger. I was a huge fan of the later Elder Scrolls games, especially Skyrim until Bethesda decided to abandon their fans and let the highest selling game of all time go a decade without a sequel- such a disappointment. (The only one I can think of that compares is when Valve abandoned the Half-Life series unfinished.)

When I was younger and more stupid, I was once playing a game in a boring mostly-sales-related (I was a young, hot engineer! What did I need to know about sales targets?!?) annual work meeting by turning my computer screen to the wall and moving my chair to the end of the table. During the meeting a kind co-worker came up behind me, spotted my transgression, and called me out to the whole audience ala Tony Stark on the helocarrier bridge in Avengers.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4Fy6AUMv8E

Another challenging one... I tend to like flakes with fruit- Special K with strawberries, Post Blueberry Morning, or just Corn Flakes with sliced bananas and raisins.

- Ridiculous pictures– Well, I'm a game fan, a WarGames fan (and all movies security-related) and a walking tech museum, so how about this one on a game forum...